AnswerID: 205641 Submitted: Saturday, Nov 18, 2006 at 19:22
Member - Phil G (SA)
I was in the same boat as you 2 years ago, and If I were to do it all again, I'd be happy with either vehicle.
If you are buying new, you're actually considering 3 vehicles - the new 79series replacement will be out early next year with a turbo V8 diesel, and maybe an automatic option.
In favour of a 79series factory TD:
- more payload (1240kg) and stronger chassis than Patrol
- Efficient 24valve TD motor - will get 2l/100k better than the Nissan
- Max torque at 1400rpm; and you can add a Dtronic; Patrol's max torque is at 2000rpm
- resale is very good
- old fashioned timeless styling if thats what you want
- slightly narrower
- Better view over the bonnet - you will sit higher
- more rom in the cab than 75series Cruiser
- Nice ride - better than the Prado I owned before
- Easily accommodates under tray toolboxes; tanks and spare tyre
- Can easily add a 3rd fuel tank to take it to 270litres.
In favour of the Patrol:
- Simple motor, with minimal electronics - Toyota motor is EFI
- Choice of coil or leaf rear springs; but coil spring housings can crack unless reinforced.
- Slightly wider track
- will take a 1950 wide tray - Cuiser trays are usually 1850.
- "modern" interior, and exterior styling if that is your preference
- I think you now have an airbag option.
I decided on the LandCruiser because I like the TD motor, and the strong H150F transmission, and the payload.
Reply 4 of 21