Buying a Car Interstate

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 15, 2007 at 15:45

Gone Bush (WA)

If I buy a second hand car in another state, which states apply stamp duty to that purchase?

I'm in WA and the state nazis over here apply a 6.5% tax.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae
Lifetime Member: My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Thumbs UpThanks 0
Back to Forum
Thread Watch Alert Moderator FAQ
ThreadID: 49707 Replies: 6
Views: 29174 FollowUps: 13
This Thread has been Archived
Thread Summary
AnswerID: 262259   Submitted: Saturday, Sep 15, 2007 at 16:03

Member - Borgy.. (SA) replied:

Gday Gone bush

Im purchasing a car from Vic next weekend and when i bring it back here to S.A i will reregister it here and have to pay stamp duty here, cant remember the exact cost but i know its so many dollars per thousand , something like that anyway, its a big scam mate , whoever buys the car new pays tax , and then when you or i or someonelse comes along and buys the car secondhand , you get slugged tax again!! What a big load of bullchit!!
Thumbs UpThanks 0
Reply 1 of 6
AnswerID: 262264   Submitted: Saturday, Sep 15, 2007 at 16:07

Member - Terry G (NSW) replied:

I think you will find that the duty is payable on the vehicle registration. So, if you intend to register it in another state don't do anything in the state of purchase. If you register the transfer to your nane there, you will pay duty on the transfer and then when you register it in the other state you will pay duty on that as well.
In NSW the following applies:
"How much duty do you pay?
You have to pay duty on the full value of a new vehicle, or the sale price or market value of a used vehicle (whichever amount is the greater).

If Goods and Services Tax (GST) is payable, then duty is calculated on the GST inclusive full value on new vehicles, or sale price or market value of a used vehicle.

For most motor vehicles, the duty currently payable is $3 for every $100 (or part of $100) of its value. However the duty on vehicles valued at $45 000 or more (not including motor cycles, buses for more than 9 people including the driver, hearses and invalid conveyances) is $1350 plus $5 for every $100 (or part of $100) over $45 000.

You need to pay duty on an application to register a motor vehicle when:

it is new and is being registered for the first time
registration is being transferred to another person
an imported second hand vehicle is first registered in NSW "

Thumbs UpThanks 0
Reply 2 of 6
FollowupID: 523747   Submitted: Saturday, Sep 15, 2007 at 16:14

Member - Terry G (NSW) posted:

Gone Bush
Don't know where you got the 6.5% from but if you go here:
you will find that the rate for vehicles under 4.5 tonnes in WA is 4.25%. Vehicles over 4.5tonnes is 3%

Thumbs UpThanks 0
FollowUp 1 of 12
FollowupID: 523750   Submitted: Saturday, Sep 15, 2007 at 16:22

LGen1 posted:

I just purchased a second hand motorhome in Qld and paid $2.00 per $100.00 stamp duty to Qld Transport.
Transfered the registration to NSW and only paid $36.00, the cost of new number plates.
Thumbs UpThanks 0
FollowUp 2 of 12
FollowupID: 523762   Submitted: Saturday, Sep 15, 2007 at 18:09

furph posted:

I dont know how you achieved this, registration is NOT transferrable between Qld. and NSW. Note "NOT"
I have just gone through tis exercise, yes the plates cost $36 in NSW, but you have to obtain a Blue slip ie., the vehicle when it leaves Qld. for re registration in NSW is unregistered/uninsured. So you then pay a new 12 month registration (or consession if applicable)
The RTA will give anyone that same information. Stamp duty in NSW is payable at 3% of purchase/valuation
Thumbs UpThanks 0
FollowUp 3 of 12
FollowupID: 523773   Submitted: Saturday, Sep 15, 2007 at 18:40

LGen1 posted:

" Transfered" was not exactly correct.
The Qld rego. was cancelled. A new green slip & blue slip was obtained in NSW and then a new registration obtained.
Still only cost $36.00.
A refund is pending from Qld transport.
Thumbs UpThanks 0
FollowUp 4 of 12
FollowupID: 523832   Submitted: Saturday, Sep 15, 2007 at 23:35

Motherhen posted:

tessa, WA have a sliding scale. Over $45,000 the 6.5% applies to the total value of the vehicle. The values where the higher rates kick in was lifted a bit on 1 July, and trailers and caravans were removed from being levied as vehicles to bring them into line with other states where there is no stamp duty on trailers. Still the worst state to purchase vehicles in.

"New & Used Light Vehicles - (gross vehicle mass of less than 4.5 tonnes)
Up to $20,000 2.75% of Market Value
$20,001 - $45,000 Market Value - 20,000
2.75% + % of --------------------------- of Market value

Over $45,000 6.5% of Market Value"

Gone Bush, it certainly pays to purchase in almost any other state than WA, but you generally need a residential address in that state before they will transfer licence to you. When you get back to WA, you will need to take the vehicle over the pits and get WA registration, but no further stamp duty as the registration and ownership will be yours. You just pay the inspection fee and plate fee. Make sure you return the plates to the state of purchase or ensure that your local licensing centre gets it right if they take the plates.

When we went hunting for an F250 we expected to purchase interstate, but the right vehicle for us was found in WA, so we copped the high stamp duty, and still had the costs of flying to get it.

I don't know how people who come from overseas and choose to purchase and resell instead of hiring get past the residing in that state bit.


Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member: My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Thumbs UpThanks 0
FollowUp 5 of 12
FollowupID: 523922   Submitted: Sunday, Sep 16, 2007 at 12:35

Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. posted:

L Gen1,

I have just purchased a van in Qld and will be driving up from Sydney to pick it up next week .

Pls confirm what I should do . Cancel the Qld registration and then you mean you drove it home unregistered ?

I would appreciate any help on this .

Thanks ,

Willie .
Thumbs UpThanks 0
FollowUp 6 of 12
FollowupID: 524065   Submitted: Monday, Sep 17, 2007 at 00:12

LGen1 posted:


Drive the van home REGISTERED.
Obtain a Green slip and a Blue slip, depending on where you get the Blue slip, it will cost between $50.00 To $100.00. My Blue slip cost $53.00.
Take them all to the RTA, including Queenlsand rego. papers and plates.
The RTA will cancel the Qld. rego. and issue you with NSW rego and new plates. Make sure you get a receipt for the Queensland plates.

Contact Queensland Transport and request them send you a "VEHICLE / RECREATIONAL SHIP CANCELATION OF REGISTRATION APPLICATION." Or you can download it from Queensland Transport web site. The file is "F3517_ES.PDF"
You will only need this form if you require a refund on the unused portion of the Queensland Registration and Green Slip.

If you are a pensioner and do not have another vehicle registered in your name, the rego. is free. If you do, you will pay the registration fee.
If you are a pensioner and you already have a vehicle registered in your name. Transfer that vehicle into your wife's name.

Thumbs UpThanks 0
FollowUp 7 of 12
FollowupID: 524083   Submitted: Monday, Sep 17, 2007 at 09:31

Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. posted:

LGen ,
Thanks a lot , I really appreciate your help .
Willie .
Thumbs UpThanks 0
FollowUp 8 of 12
FollowupID: 524086   Submitted: Monday, Sep 17, 2007 at 09:47

The Landy posted:

Good for you Willie...are you stopping off on the way home?
“In wisdom gathered over time I have found that every
experience is a form of exploration.” Ansel Adams
Thumbs UpThanks 0
FollowUp 9 of 12
FollowupID: 524092   Submitted: Monday, Sep 17, 2007 at 09:59

Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. posted:

Thanks Baz ,

I might stop at Ballina for a cuppa with another Bushtracker owner - they are very friendly mob , and I got an invite when I announced my purchase on their site .

I am not sure though , if it might not be quicker to go up and down inland .

Willie .

PS .
Do you know that someone dug up your driveway ?!?!
Thumbs UpThanks 0
FollowUp 10 of 12
FollowupID: 524108   Submitted: Monday, Sep 17, 2007 at 10:39

The Landy posted:

I'd like to see the unit when you get it home.....

Yep...driveway was dug up...but three concrete trucks later and it is back; they did it Saturday morning. The renovations is just about complete.....

The Landys' had to spend the weekend out on the road.

Having the day off tomorrow. 4WD monthly are going to do an article on the Landy..should be fun!

Have a good trip.
“In wisdom gathered over time I have found that every
experience is a form of exploration.” Ansel Adams
Thumbs UpThanks 0
FollowUp 11 of 12
FollowupID: 526693   Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 03, 2007 at 15:13

Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. posted:

LGen ,

I am sure you meant well , but fortunately for me , your advice was incorrect .

The only person who can fill out a form 3517 is the Qld registered owner . I , as the new owner could not , so I have had to kiss the qld rego money goodbye .

I should asked the qld owner to it have cancelled .

Thumbs UpThanks 0
FollowUp 12 of 12
AnswerID: 262267   Submitted: Saturday, Sep 15, 2007 at 16:12

DIO replied:

Generall y it's the State in which you buy and register the vehicle. Once you return to your home State you will need to re-register (within specified time usually within 3 months) and generally they will take into account any SD paid by you in another State. If you paid a lesser amount in say VIC than in WA, your authority may require you to pay the difference. Perhaps you could/should check with them before undertaking any purchase.
Thumbs UpThanks 0
Reply 3 of 6
AnswerID: 262278   Submitted: Saturday, Sep 15, 2007 at 16:41

Philip A replied:

About 15 years ago , I bought a Jackeroo in Queensland from a dealer.
When I moved to NSW, I went to register it, and found that there was a caveat on the title!!!! Note that I bought it from a dealer(South Pine Motors-A Holden dealer) They had bought it from an auction. Note that dealers and auctions MUST guarantee title under Qld law..
Many happy weeks of correspondence followed between me and The Qld REVS, and even with the lawyer who had placed a caveat on the title, who told me to go F myself as SHE didn't give a stuff.
At the end of the day the Qld REVS removed the caveat, but not before giving me the distinct impression thet they were not there to protect the buyer, but to protect the person who loaned the money to the dropkick who defaulted . No action was taken against the dealer or auction.
Regards Philip A

Thumbs UpThanks 0
Reply 4 of 6
EOTopo 200K 2015 Release Out Now! Sponsor Message
Raster map set avail to download/Memory-Map/SD/USB. Features high quality, high clarity,200K scale whole of Australia topo map. Now with road distances, road names, campsites & POIs. Latest update!
AnswerID: 262388   Submitted: Sunday, Sep 16, 2007 at 07:46


How does one get on as far as registration and transfer of vehicles if one has no fixed abode??????
Thumbs UpThanks 0
Reply 5 of 6
FollowupID: 523881   Submitted: Sunday, Sep 16, 2007 at 09:27

Member - Kiwi Kia posted:

In WA they allow you to use a backpackers or friend as a 'normally garaged' address (I have this in writting).
Thumbs UpThanks 0
FollowUp 1 of 1
AnswerID: 262405   Submitted: Sunday, Sep 16, 2007 at 09:24

Shaker replied:

The correct procedure is to cancel the registration at the time of purchase, the vehicle is driven home with a 7 day permit & then re-registered in your home State, at that point the Stamp Duty is paid.
Anyone who lives within their means ..... suffers from a lack of imagination!
Thumbs UpThanks 0
Reply 6 of 6