AnswerID: 484634 Submitted: Monday, Apr 30, 2012 at 14:22
I haven't been caravaning for long but I've learnt a lot from this forum
since I started. As a result I have come up with some rules for myself that suit my circumstances.
1. The forum
search facility is your friend.
2. Never connect the fridge to the van battery.
3. Always connect the load (led lights, water pump & TV) to the van battery via a low voltage disconnect device which can be a stand alone device or be incorporated in a solar regulator or other charging device and is capable of handling the maximum load current.
4. Replace all incandescent light globes with LEDs.
5. Use an LCD LED TV for lowest current draw.
6. Run the fridge on gas when not travelling or connected to 240v.
By following these rules I hope to complete a trip round the block this year staying in a combination of powered sites and free camping
without battery problems.
Reply 5 of 5