AnswerID: 486366 Submitted: Monday, May 21, 2012 at 08:14
I wouldn't worry about going to a water proof switch, wire it up and go to a good auto elec and get then to spray it with silicon grease.
Even if water got in it's not going to cause much damage and being 12v there no chance of getting a shock.
The only time I would recommend sealed is in harsh corrosive environments but then again we have earthmoving machines we maintain in salt mines that survive OK with non sealed switch gear.
Have a look at motor bikes with there handle bar switch gear...... they aren't sealed or water proofed..... most just have silicon grease if that.
One problem we do see with water proof switches is the rubber/plastic breaking down or splitting.
You will not get condensation, condensation is formed when the temp inside is higher then the outside make the moister inside evaporate.
I think this is a matter of over engineering something.
Reply 2 of 2