Kingoonya was established in the early 1900s as a railway support town on the line extending west. It became more important during and after the First World War, when in fulfilment of the undertakings given to Western Australia
in the processes leading up to Federation, the East-West railway line was built west to link with Kalgoorlie
. Prior to 1987 when the Stuart Highway was sealed and re-routed north and east of the township, Kingoonya was also the point at which the old dirt Alice Springs
road left the east-west railway line and its service roads and headed north to the tar at the NT border.
Kingoonya Hotel has been closed since before 2012. The town has only 8 or 9 residents. A campsite with toilets is beside the railway line where you may see and certainly hear the freight trains and the Ghan
and Indian Pacific
every few hours. The credit card fuel outlet was out of order in Sept 2012 but there is full Telstra reception.
For more information phone: (08) 8672 1002
The Kingoonya and Areas Progress Association now has a website www.kingoonya.org.au