how to connect solar to a bcdc1220 redarc

Submitted: Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 08:25
ThreadID: 105504 Views:26179 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I have the BCDC red arc set up to my spare battery in the back of my patrol and i am wanting to use solar panels to charge our spare battery when we have long stays. Just wondering can i connect straight to my spare with the solar without causing any damage to the red arc or the battery. I will only be using solar with the car engine turned off. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 08:53

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 08:53
Hi Mark,
Below is the Redarc recommended circuit for a BCDC with both alternator and solar inputs using a changeover relay.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 523153

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 11:57

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 11:57
HI Allan
No problem
That is the way it works
When no altrnator outpu,t the solar tkes over
No other switching needed

PeterQ
FollowupID: 804460

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 12:04

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 12:04
HI Allan
Cannot edit , But should have added when wired as per the diagram

PeterQ
FollowupID: 804461

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 12:07

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 12:07
HI
ooops ,one other point, if the solar has it's own regulator that should be removed
Cannot have two regulator in series!!

PeterQ
FollowupID: 804462

Reply By: olcoolone - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 12:34

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 12:34
The Redarc BCDC 1220 has no solar reg in it..... just a straight 12 or 24v DC input, you need to use the regulator that came with your panels or use an add on regulator and connect it straight to the battery.

It will not interfere with the BCDC 1220.

AnswerID: 523162

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 14:35

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 14:35
There is virtually no difference between a Redarc BCDC and a MPPT solar regulator. They both operate in the same way, taking a variable input voltage and converting it to a nominal 12v with a lead-acid charging algorithm.

The Redarc BCDC-120 (and all the BCDC series) accept 9 to 32vdc as input, not "just a straight 12 or 24v DC input", although they would be mostly employed accepting a nominal 12 or 24v input.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 804470

Reply By: mark4 - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 13:37

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 13:37
Thanks for your replies but i am still a bit confused, do i have to go through a change over relay? or can i just use the solar panel regulator and connect the solar direct to the battery and leave the rest of the bcdc set up how it was done by the shop, as i will be only using it when the car is turned of.

cheers
AnswerID: 523168

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 14:28

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 14:28
Hi Mark,
Yes, some of the responses above may confuse you. Trust me, or better still give Redarc a call on (08) 8322 4848 to benefit from their free Technical Assistance.

The BCDC-1220 inherently acts as an MPPT solar regulator and accepts input from 9 to 32vdc either from a solar panel or from an alternator. But if you wish to connect both inputs to the BCDC they must not be connected together at the same time as interaction conflicts arise. It is necessary to isolate the solar and alternator inputs by using a relay as in the Redarc wiring diagram above.

When arranged in this fashion the solar panel should be connected directly to the relay and BCDC without using a solar panel regulator, the BCDC does that job. Some may suggest leaving the BCDC connected as you have it now and simply connect the solar panel via a MPPT regulator directly to the battery. That does work without harm but the Redarc method with relay has advantages.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 804469

Follow Up By: Brian 01 - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 14:57

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 14:57
If I may be so bold as to offer some clarification on earlier posts.
1. The Redarc BCDC1220 does not incorporate a solar controller of any type.
2. The circuit diagram shown above is not applicable to the 1220.
3. It is incorrect to say the any of the Redarc units will automatically change to solar if they detect no alternator output. The blue wire which detects voltage is normally connected to the vehicle ignition, so as long as a voltage is detected there, it is irrelevant whether the motor is running or not.
FollowupID: 804472

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 15:35

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 15:35
Additionally, Mark,

If your solar panels have a solar regulator (controller) on the back of them they can be connected directly to the battery.

If your panels do not have a regulator then you need to get one and connect it as close to the battery as possible, leaving the long wires to run between the panel(s) and the regulator.

Either way, if your engine is not running the 1220 and the solar regulator will not interfere with each other.

When your engine is running it would be better if the solar was disconnected. You can do that by switching off the solar input from the panels to the regulator. You can do that manually if you have the panels connected with a plug and socket arrangement, or with a relay.

Depending on your installation, if its manual you might forget and then the 1220 and the solar might interfere with each other, as others have said. If you have to pack your solar up to travel, then that's not an issue, but if you have a permanent installation then you need to consider automating it with a relay.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 804476

Follow Up By: mark4 - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 15:42

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 15:42
Thanks for the replies it will be on a anderson plug set up and portable so i will be packing it up before moving the car.

Thanks Mark
FollowupID: 804477

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 15:54

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 15:54
Ah then Mark, that is different, and simple.
Just connect your solar panel (via a MPPT regulator) directly to your battery whilst the engine is off using the anderson plug pair. Be sure that there is a 30A fuse close to the battery +ve terminal and keep the regulator as close to the battery as possible.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 804478

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 15:57

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 15:57
Folks - may I butt in?

There are quite some differences in the opinions expressed above, BUT in fact I think most people are largely correct in what they say!

From my reading of the BCDC specs, the BCDC 1225 and 1240 chargers offer both dc-dc charger AND MPPT solar controller. (Probably not simultaneously. ) The BCDC 1220 does not have MPPT solar characteristcs, but since it has a wide input voltage range (9-32V), it can safely accept the output of a solar panel and provide the required charging regime for the battery. By using the relay as suggested, the current input to the charger can be automatically switched between the cranking battery and solar.

It seems quite ok to use the BCDC 1220 this way as Redarc's diagram suggests. Since it lacks the true MPPT capability though, solar efficiency is unlikely to be at its optimum.

Mark asks if he can leave the BCDC1220 alone and run the solar independently through a solar controller direct to the battery. Yes! In fact that's exactly what I do. Both my MPPT solar controller and the dc-dc charger are wired to the battery. The roof mounted panel adds to the current coming from the dc-dc charger, or simply continues to contribute when the dc-dc isn't providing.

Cheers

John

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 804479

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 17:36

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 17:36
I was a bit sus about the suggestions that you could connect a 12V solar panel or array to the input of a Redarc 1220 and expect it to work.

You cannot do that with my (other) brand of DC-DC charger, so I rang Redarc to find out if it was OK for the 1220.

I was told by a technical advisor that although the input voltage range of the 1220 encompasses the open circuit voltage of nominal 12V solar panels, connecting the panels direct to the input of the 1220 WILL NOT WORK. (His emphasis, not mine)

Mark, it appears that there isn't a shortcut available here. If you have a 1220 you need a solar regulator of some sort to connect your panels to your batteries, as discussed. If you want to have an integrated system you need to buy a Redarc BCDC1225 or 1240 or equivalent other branded product (eg Ctek D250S Dual).

Cheers

FrankP

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 523177

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 18:25

Monday, Dec 16, 2013 at 18:25
Thanks for clarifying it Frank, there are so many experts on here it's getting beyond a joke, when I did training with Redarc they stipulated the same thing and the question was asked to one of the engineers.

Hence why they have the BCDC1220 and the BCDC1225 on the market.
FollowupID: 804491

Sponsored Links