1997 Pajero wiring of Relay for Spotlights

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 17:47
ThreadID: 42349 Views:14191 Replies:8 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there people,
I have a small issue trying to install my spotties. I have attached a relay and wired it all correctly, However I am having trouble locating a power source from the headlights Highbeam. It all works successfully except that the so called High Beam wire I am connected to triggers the relay when the parking lights are turned on. when I turn the lights fully on, the relay triggers correctly. So what this means is that if I was driving with my park lights on, the spotlights come on.
There are 3 wires into the head light and all 3 of them power on at some stage when switching on. I have become quite frustarted with this, has any one came accross the same issue, and if so how did they rectify it. Thanks, in advance for any advice.
cheers,
Tugsy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: harry56 - Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 17:59

Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 17:59
Just do a trial and error. maybe try each, one by one till you get the right one
AnswerID: 221923

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 18:03

Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 18:03
Use a test light with the probe sharpened to a sharp point and test each wire individually until u find the one that switches on with the hi-beam then your done!
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 221924

Reply By: pjchris - Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 18:06

Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 18:06
That's because when you turn the lights on in teh Paj (Any, Park Headlight) it supplies 12 V to all of the lights. When the park lights are on 12V is at thye headlights and connected to both filaments. The headlights don't come on because the other end of the filament is floating. When you switch to Headlights on the low beam filament is connected to ground, and when switchng to high beam the low filament disconnects from ground and the High beam filament end is grounded instead.

This is called negative switching and the paj is a little unusual in this regard.

I can think of two solutions:

1) Turn the spots off on the dash with the switch you have mounted there (You have mounted one haven't you? it is a legal requirement in most States.)

2) Connect the +ve side of the relay coil to common 12V at the headlight (The wire that always has 12V on it when the lights are on) and the -ve side to the wire that goes low when you turn the high beams on. This means that the relay will only activate when the high beams are actually on.

Peter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 221926

Follow Up By: tugsy - Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 18:14

Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 18:14
Thanks Peter this sounds the ticket. It is doing exactly what you have said. I will give it a go.

Yes I have mounted a switch on the dash board. NZ requirements also require this.

Thanks again.
FollowupID: 482697

Follow Up By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 22:01

Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 22:01
Yep, Peter has got it.

Same as my 1996.

THere is full 12v to all of the headlights, low and high beam.
THe high beam light is turned on by earthing it through the mitsubishi relay, triggered by the light stalk on the steering column.

As Peter suggested, best way is to power the spot light relay, and earth it through the highbeam. I soldered a wire into the back of the light bulb socket.

High beam drops to about 9 to 10v when high beam on, enough voltage diference to earth the spot relay. Run the switching wire back through a switch on the dash so you can turn them off completely.

I have had a couple of times when flicking on and off high beam with spots on, that the spots stay on with low beam.
Turn everything off for a second or so (headlights and spots) and back on again to reset the system.
FollowupID: 482747

Reply By: spinifex - Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 18:06

Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 18:06
I am sure others will be able to answer this better but

One down, two to go.

3 wires, I would assume high beam, low beam, earth. Clip your test light to the negative battery terminal and test each wire until you find the one that switches on an off when switching the high beam.

Regards
Spinifex
AnswerID: 221927

Follow Up By: spinifex - Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 18:11

Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 18:11
2nd thoughts after reading Peters post, take it to an autolec

Regards,
Spinifex
FollowupID: 482692

Reply By: tugsy - Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 19:25

Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 19:25
Nah what he said is easy... Just never came across it before, all my other cars were just a standard on and off scenario. cheers, Tugsy
AnswerID: 221938

Reply By: drivesafe - Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 23:14

Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 23:14
Hi tugsy, see if this helps
img src="http://www.traxide.com.au/DATA/06DLD2.jpg"
AnswerID: 221996

Follow Up By: drivesafe - Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 23:18

Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 23:18
You will have to cut and paste the link bellow.

Cheers

http://www.traxide.com.au/DATA/06DLD2.jpg
FollowupID: 482764

Follow Up By: drivesafe - Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 23:54

Thursday, Feb 15, 2007 at 23:54
Sorry tugsy, I was trying to bring up the image here.

Anyway, the relay used is a New Era, but just substitute your relay for it.

If if you follow the connections from the existing headlight socket to the relay, you won’t need to work out if the headlights are positive or negative switched, the wiring allows for either.

Cheers
FollowupID: 482775

Follow Up By: Redback - Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 08:34

Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 08:34
Like this Tim

Baz.
FollowupID: 482822

Follow Up By: drivesafe - Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 09:00

Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 09:00
Thanks Baz, can never work out how to post images on this site.

Tugsy, on a standard three terminal headlight plug, the top terminal is for your low beam, so in your case, ignore this one.

One of the side terminals is your headlight common supply, either positive or negative.

The other side terminal is your for high beam, and will go negative or positive when you select high beam.

The trick with the diagram above is that you connect BOTH of your driving light relay’s coil terminals, pins 85 and 86, to your headlight loom.

This way, the headlight’s common supply will provide power your driving light relay and the headlight’s high beam wire will switch your driving light relay on and off in conjunction with your headlight’s high beam.

By wiring up your relay this way, you won’t even need a multi meter to work out which wire does what or whether your headlights are positive or negative switched.

Your driving light relay’s coil is protected by your existing headlight fuse.

To connect the rest of the relay and driving lights, connect your driving light relay’s terminal 30 to the positive terminal on your battery via a fuse and terminal 87 to one terminal of each driving light and the other terminal of each driving light goes to negative.

Cheers and thanks again Baz.
FollowupID: 482832

Follow Up By: Redback - Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 09:24

Friday, Feb 16, 2007 at 09:24
No prob mate, i've sent you a PERSONAL MESSAGE !!
FollowupID: 482837

Reply By: tugsy - Tuesday, Feb 20, 2007 at 11:14

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2007 at 11:14
Hi, Thanks to all who have tried to help.

I have wired my lights as above.
When I activate my High beam the spotties come on fine.
when I have my lights on lowbeam and my manual switch (luminated) in the off position, my spotlights come on.

What have I done wrong?
AnswerID: 222881

Follow Up By: drivesafe - Tuesday, Feb 20, 2007 at 13:38

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2007 at 13:38
As tugsy, simply move the wire coming from the relay’s terminal 86, from the low beam wire to the common wire on the existing headlight plug.

See the diagram above.

Cheers
FollowupID: 483740

Reply By: tugsy - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2007 at 06:09

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2007 at 06:09
Hi Drivesafe,

I rechecked everythiglast nigth and found that I had the diagram wrong and already had it wired the way you mentioned.
What I did find was the luminated switch was earthing by the lowbeams power supply through the switch flowing the wrong way.
I found an old diode witch i put between the highbeam terminal and the switch terminal, stopping any power flowing the wrong way and killing the backwards circuit (which of course stops the relay activating).

I would like to thank all those that have taken the time to reply to my post. Below is the finished product.

Cheers,
Tugsy.

AnswerID: 223079

Sponsored Links