This Trek Note provides the most challenging route to Cape York
via the Old Telegraph Track, or OTT as its known. There are other easier ways to get to the tip of Cape York
, however this route will allow those who have exceptionally sound 4WD skills to experience the journey in its most natural form.
The alternative route to the one shown in this trek note is to use the Bypass Roads. We provide a separate trek note for those that wish to use this easier route. The trek note is called Cape York via Bypass Roads
. You can still access sections of the Telegraph Track if you refer to the map for entry/exit points.
There are many other interesting places
to visit on the Cape York Peninsula
that we've not included in either of these main thoroughfare routes to the top. Instead, you'll find details about these in separate Trek Notes
because they can all be accessed off the two main routes at noted exit points. We suggest you should research all these side trips and build your own itinerary. See the full list of Cape York side trips here
Once you've reached Seisia
, you still have a little way to go to reach the true "tip" of Cape York
's most northerly point. Refer to our Cape York - Seisia to the Tip
Trek Note for details on how to get there, and other things to explore in the area.
How to Use this Trek Note
Click the "Map" tab below to see the route we've provided. Icons on the map are the POIs you'll need for navigation purposes. Be sure to check the list of Nearby Places
on each POI page.
If you'd like to save this information there are a couple of ways to go about it, depending on what you're actually after:-
- Ideal solution - download the ExplorOz Traveller App from Google Play or the App Store. The app enables you to carry the ExplorOz Places, Treks, & Maps data offline in your mobile device ready for your adventures. It is a complete mapping, navigation and tracking app. For more details, read our ExplorOz Traveller page.
- You can print a paper copy of the text using the print icon button shown above, near the social media buttons. You will still need to click open each Place page (listed in Where to Stay, What to See) to print off all available information.
- If you have a Hema Navigator or use Mapping Software such as OziExplorer, or TrackRanger AND you are an ExplorOz Member, then you can click the Download Trek button at the top of this page to obtain the raw data files (eg. GPX) for this Trek.
- If you're not a Member, or you'd like to batch download the entire Treks database you can obtain this by buying a product called EOTreks Route Files from our online shop.
is the name of the most northern point of the Australian continent and is often referred to as "The Tip". In fact, the whole peninsula of land that lies above the 16°S latitude is called Cape York Peninsula
- this narrow peninsula is bound by the Coral sea to the east the Arafura sea and Gulf of Carpentaria to the west and the Torres Strait to the north. Locals however, refer to Cape York
"proper" as the area north of the Jardine