Planning trip up coast from Sydney to Brisbane

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 15:10
ThreadID: 100165 Views:2320 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Seeking people in the know on
Places you would stop at or just drive through?
How many days would be a reasonable time without rushing?
Things not to miss?
We are West Aussies so although I know my coast and interests have no idea about the East so would appreciate any helpful comments
We plan to return via the National Parks in the hinterland....looks like a lot to see here.
Would you spend more time on the return rather than up the coast?
We are more into hiking etc....not a fan of heavily populated areas...done most of our travelling in the desert

Many thanks to anyone who can provide some info
Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Marts09 - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 16:57

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 16:57
South West Rocks. From there you can travel along the beach down to Hat head. North to palces like Grassy Head & Scotts Head. Plenty of good drives inland around Kempsey.

Great part of NSW.
AnswerID: 503293

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 17:25

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 17:25
Hi Richard,
The NSW beaches are very different to WA beaches so you will enjoy spending a bit of time on them. Myall Lakes near Buladlah are nice. Check out the National Park around Diamond Head near Laurieton (good campground/CP in the NP). Long beaches and a big headland to explore. The area from Nambucca north to Woolgoolga is beautiful though sadly getting spoilt by development now. There are plenty of CPs in that area - have heard good reports about the CPs at Repton right on the Bellinger River. Its worth taking a drive from there up to Bellingen, Thora and Dorrigo through lush rainforest. Sawtell, Coffs Harbour and the little beaches to the north are all lovely, and the hinterland has many roads worth exploring too eg Bruxner Park. Around Grafton there is the Clarence River to explore (and a great drive up the Old Gwydir highway towards Glen Innes). Brooms Head where you can camp right next to the beach is another great spot. Not so familiar with the coast north of there but you could easily spend a couple of weeks exploring just the areas that I have mentioned - providing its not school holidays when it will be insanely busy.

Have a great time.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 503295

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 17:59

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 17:59
Richard,

Was going to be half-smart and say you can drive through all the way. There's not many towns now on the highway, as, in the interest of progress, all the sleepy little places are now bypassed.

Two places worth stopping at are Arrawarra, about 10 mins north of Woolgoolga. We used to stay there when I was in my teens, and people on here have said it's still good. Headland to the south, looooong white beach running north, and a fresh water creek/lagoon just south of the resort.

Other spot is Iluka. Sleepy little town, on north side of the mighty Clarence, opposite Yamba. Good beach there too. Not sure about accommodation in town, as we usually stay with friends.

"Visited" rellies staying at Diamond Head once. Seemed okay, but windy as anything that day, and the 'vans/campers were packed in together, almost wall to wall. Would be nice spot when not so crowded, in my view. Part of Crowdy Bay NP.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503298

Reply By: Axle - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 18:43

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 18:43
G/Day Richard, as others have said, further north Broadwater& Evans Head is a top spot, Also you could zig zag your way up to get a mix of country,eg. coast to the New England Go up a bit and then come across to Coast again , Would need a couple of weeks..

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 503302

Reply By: rumpig - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 20:59

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 20:59
if your into hiking then head towards Stanthorpe and go to Girraween National Park and climb The Pyramid (other tracks to walk there also), then cross into NSW and visit Bald Rock and climb that aswell (go all the way to the Trig Point), the views from both locations are spectacular.
AnswerID: 503306

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 21:40

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 21:40
We came around the coast from Adelaide to Brisbane over the Christmas Holidays. Wont do that again at that time of the year. Very hard even in the free camps to find a nice little spot o/n.
Cheers
AnswerID: 503309

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 08:53

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 08:53
If you have plenty of time you can go inland a bit from Grafton and find some great places. If you want a simple but spacious CP on the river Jackadgery makes a good base to explore from. Clarence Gorge is a great spot for camping and walking if you have an off road rig or camper trailer- otherwise a lovely day trip from Jackadgery. It is on private property - the owner will take you up the gorge by boat for a very reasonable charge and drop you off for a great walk.
Along the coast check out Wooli and Yaragir NP.
Of course you may want to be able to say you have been to Byron Bay! That is perhaps worth at least driving through and a lunch stop. There is a cheapish camp at the football club. Lovely country around the area.
It is a great trip if you take it slowly. The Pacific Highway is very busy and boring if you just rush it. Lynne
AnswerID: 503329

Follow Up By: Member - John and Lynne - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 09:15

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 09:15
I forgot to mention the fact that Cape Byron is the farthest eastern point of the continent so an appropriate spot for someone from WA to visit! Lynne
FollowupID: 779978

Sponsored Links