Date published: 18th March 2014
Kawashima Inverter Generator.JPG
Product information
Product description
Kawashima 2000W Inverter Generator
Identifying features
PRO2000i
What are the defects?
The 12 volt battery charger outlet does not meet Australian standards and could be mistaken for a 240 volt outlet. In addition, the battery charger lead supplied with the unit has a plug that could be mistaken for a 240 volt plug and inserted into a 240 volt outlet.
What are the hazards?
Plugging the lead into a 240 volt outlet makes the alligator clips live and creates a serious electrical safety hazard.
Dates available for sale
1st December 2013 - 13th March 2014
Where the product was sold
Nationally
Traders who sold this product
Repco Stores

PeterQ
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 19:31

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 19:31
Makes you wonder what drugs the accrediting officer was on when he checked compliance for use in Australia.

From above.
"Plugging the lead into a 240 volt outlet makes the alligator clips live and creates a serious electrical safety hazard".

More a death trap, than a hazard, I would have thought. Most people will hold the clips to attach them to something ie batteries.

No one at Repco has had a charge up I suppose! They leave that to the consumers/users.
AnswerID: 529106

Reply By: The Bantam - Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 23:31

Tuesday, Mar 25, 2014 at 23:31
This is not a new issue...there where some generators (probably the same ones, different badge) recalled some months ago for the very same reason.

The problem is that there is non compliant electrical equipment comming into the country every day....because there is no systematic system of inspection.

Prescribed articles ( cant remember if gennies are prescribed) but be approved by an electrical authority..either directly by a givernment agency or thru a private certifier.
BUT this is a type approval, and maybe a single unit is submitted for approval.

After that there IS NO systemaic inspection.

AND many of the importers are ignorant ( some just don't care) of their responsibilities and the regs involved.

cheers
AnswerID: 529132

Sponsored Links