75 year old cyclist cancels his Cannng Stock Route attempt

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 21:04
ThreadID: 107120 Views:2280 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Sadly, I have been informed that the American cyclist who was to attempt a traverse of the Canning Stock Route and Anne Beadell this year has made the decision to call it off.

Whilst training for the event in Australia these past months he came to realise that the weight he needed to carry was more than he could handle, making the attempt a no-go.

I am very sad to hear this news, but that is what his pre-training was all about - to test the parameters safely. May he find new adventures to enjoy.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wayne NSW - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 21:27

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 21:27
Gaynor,

Bad news but like you said better to find this out before the attempt.

Do you know any thing about another unassisted walking attempt starting from Wiluna in July 2014. Rose & Michael Weber?

Wayne

AnswerID: 529974

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 22:27

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 22:27
Yep, but they would prefer me not to comment.
FollowupID: 812805

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 23:14

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 23:14
Hi Gaynor,

That's a real shame, I was looking forward to following his trip along the CSR.
And I'm glad he courageous enough to say it wasn't feasible for him, rather than charge ahead regardless.
If you aware of him doing other such challenges could you advise please.

all the best.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 529980

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 23:53

Sunday, Apr 06, 2014 at 23:53
Will do Phil.

He is a strong man, regardless, so this is a tough call for him. But like you say, he is courageous and an honest man for facing the facts of the situation as they have presented themselves. I take my hat off to him and hope to stay in touch.

I am guessing he might be a bit down in the dumps at present and will need time to re-evaluate before he goes forward. Let you know his plans if he chooses to continue to share them.

g

FollowupID: 812810

Reply By: Gaynor - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 01:08

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 01:08
Update sooner than expected.

He is returning to the States and appears to be very comfortable with his decision, in what he has learned and gained from the experience. May I have such grace....

'Please understand that I have no regrets and am not returning with my head down. I feel very much at ease and have learned a tremendous amount concerning my physical and mental capabilities. I needed an eye opener as to what I am able to handle at my age.'

Great man.

AnswerID: 529983

Follow Up By: cookie1 - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 08:14

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 08:14
That would be a very hard decision for him, but I take my hat off to him for having the honesty to realise his own limitations, and not push a bad situation, like we have seen others do and then rely on the Police and other services to rescue him.

Well Done & hold your head high

cheers
FollowupID: 812823

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 08:09

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 08:09
Its really good to hear that some can assess a situation and have the courage to then draw conclusions and act on them Gaynor.

Far to many these days are pushed by media hype and ego to attempt things beyond a reasonable risk limit.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 529991

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 16:58

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 16:58
I think a lot of issues are caused by simple ignorance Robin. Until a person is actually in the situation they have no idea how hard or how bad it can get. Ignorance is bliss as they say.

Most people who attempt a foot powered traverse of the Canning are not media junkies. Of those who have actually done it already, none sought media attention before the event. Their stories only came after they succeeded.

This years attempts and next years are different. And I agree with your assessment. Ego and media hype are very much in play and for my own part in this, I must reassess my role.

FollowupID: 812862

Follow Up By: Gaynor - Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 17:05

Monday, Apr 07, 2014 at 17:05
I should just clarify:

This cyclist did not seek out media attention. I found him and asked to be kept in the loop re his preparations etc.
FollowupID: 812864

Sponsored Links