Comment: My Raw Food Experiences (Michelle)

Thanks Michelle. A triathlete might be the right person to ask :-)

Over Nov/Dec I did what is for me, a hard training regime which brought to light some deficiencies. I suffered from chronic fatigue after walking with a back pack of only 4-11kg, 20km every second day for three weeks in high heat of 35-40C. It would take about 4 hours and involved an altitude climb of 500m. My recovery time was appalling. After each four hour walk I was chronically fatigued. Towards the last part of the third week I fell asleep for most of the rest day. The heat would have had a lot to do with that, I think. My recovery each time was slow and got worse, not better. It took weeks, longer than a month, afterwards to feel normal again. I was drowsy and tired all the time.

I am now trying supplements from Hammer Nutrition but hard training (for me) was interrupted for Feb and Jan due to work commitments. The electrolytes and Recoverite seem to be doing a good job on my weekend training, but it is the day after day endurance thing that drains me. This month I can start the longer training walks again, but I suspect the heat has a lot to play in the fatigue as well as the endurance. I will take some Hammer products with me as I do feel they help, but this is a very expensive product so cannot take the full recommended amount for 3 months.

I tend to lose weight quickly when I train, and I don't have that much to lose. A drop of 4kgs and my friends and family worry that I am skinny. During that hard 3 week training period I was only drinking water, no food or supplements. I did consume a milk and eggs protein shake after most walks. I have since added electrolytes during my weekend walks and doubled my daily carb intake at meal times. I will be adding perpeteum to the training walk. I avoided this so far as it was thought that I did not burn enough calories in walking to warrant an increase in calories, but the weight loss makes me rethink this. My diet, I would say, is generally a healthy balance with no real vices other than a need to cut down on sugar.

Can you suggest healthy long life food that I can add to my stores for the Canning Walk? Food that will power my body, reducing the fatigue. Dried fruit and nuts are a staple. Polenta/maize, rice and tinned fish, another. I am wheat intolerant so only eat small amounts.

Thanks for an interesting article.
Gaynor
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:18

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2015 at 01:18
Hi Gaynor, my advice is that you should book a visit with a qualified sports nutritionist - it will only cost you about $80 for an initial visit and I might only need 1 or 2 visits. To me, it sounds like you are not understanding the important of endurance refueling so read my article http://www.triathlonoz.com/Nutrition/Food_for_Energy.aspx and also http://www.triathlonoz.com/Nutrition/Sports.aspx It sounds like you are not replenishing glycogen stores adequately during training and not eating adequately for recovery. The foods you've mentioned are all good but if I were you I'd get a dietitian to write up a food plan for the walk. We have a friend who is an Ironman, Adventure Racer etc and is a vegetarian coeliac at 56yrs old so people do find a way but I don't think I'm the right person to give you the type of detailed advice you really need. Good luck - I hope to hear more from you. PS - why don't you join TO too? You've got a great story to share and tons of people there could offer tips too.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 548771

Sponsored Links