Carrying petrol for <span class="highlight">generator</span>

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 13:00
ThreadID: 117580 Views:5777 Replies:15 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have found a few threads on this but no real answers to my particular question. I need to carry 5 ltr can of petrol for genny. Options are either in rear of Landcruiser wagon , in front boot of caravan with gas bottles (no electrics) or put a box of some sort on roof rack to hold it. Roof rack is probably safest but most difficult to do. What is the opinion of the forum or are there any other suggestions
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: HKB Electronics - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 13:07

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 13:07
I know of a few who keep chain saws and generators in the front locker on their
campers, not the safest option but as long as there is no source of ignition will have
to do. In the case of a caravan I would be hesitant as the fumes if there's a leak might
seep into the van if the locker is not airtight?

Wouldn't put it in the car myself, and I think it may not be legal to put
up on roof racks but others will know if this is the case.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 552789

Reply By: Member - CloudedGenie - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 13:15

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 13:15
We carry ours in the closed front compartment of the Kimberley Kamper. It is vented, and the only compartment that is "safe" for fuel. It basically has a 10cm screen with dust filter and PC cooling fan to make sure there is no gas build-up.

The problem with carrying fuel on the roof is that if you have a fire, the burning fuel will run over or into your car making it difficult/impossible for passengers to escape without going through the flames.

Carrying fuel in the car is dangerous due to the risk of gas build-up. You only need to breath in a tiny amount of petrol for it to affect your senses (making you drive under the influence) - long before it becomes an explosion hazard.
AnswerID: 552791

Reply By: Bigfish - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 13:52

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 13:52
Why not get a plastic milk crate. Fix it to A frame of the van near gas bottles and put the 5 litre TIN can in there. Wrap in old rags if you want. The rags always come in handy. Its vented, safe and not near anything that will be affected if the container ruptures or leaks.
AnswerID: 552792

Reply By: Member - David Will (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 14:15

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 14:15
Where do you store your genny??
All fuel containers including fuel tanks have the possibility of producing fumes. So just be careful on what you do. I would put it on drawbar of van in a proper bracket made for jerrycans.

David
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 552793

Reply By: Member - John - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 14:19

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 14:19
G'day, I have just had an aluminium box made to hold my 5lt petrol container, will be bolted to the gas bottle holder on the front of the Aussie Swag. Will put a couple of holes in the bottom with foam over them to let any fumes escape....... The box from the top looks just like a box, with a locked over centre latch, nothing to say it is petrol, as some like to borrow that liquid.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 552794

Reply By: wholehog - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 15:30

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 15:30
Just stick it in a quality fuel container in the ventilated boot where the LPG cylinders are retained.
AnswerID: 552799

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 16:41

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 16:41
Think I've seen a steel bolt-on 20L jerry holder somewhere in my travels - it was U clamped to a draw bar rail....damned if I can recall where I saw it.....might be able to be purchased....that would be one way round it. I carry my few litres of petrol in a 20L jerry, (I ordered my van with 4 x jerry holders - pretty much overkill though - just about never use them all at once).
AnswerID: 552803

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:42

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 19:42
Buy a Jerry can holder and bolt it to the rear of your caravan bumper.
It’s not illegal in WA – and I’ve done it for years all around Australia..
I have2 bright red plastic Jerry’s - two big loops around Australia and have never had a problem with the police.
AnswerID: 552822

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 21:13

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 21:13
Certainly right about different ideas on the subject Terry.

We always carry petrol inside the car , usually 88 lt at start of long trip , which is 4 of the plastic jerries which hold 22lt each.

The jerries must not have a breather vent though.
We use the Supercheap ones and if care is taken on screwing on the big fill up cap , no fumes escape.

Carrying inside the car is the safest option for most realsitic scenario's as they are protected by the cars body and hence survive most accidents.
They can usually be stored such that they lower the cars C of G and unlike roof etc , the temperature of fuel does not rise to much.

Roof , or back of car etc are much less safe both from a vehicle saftey and vehicle dynamics point of view.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 552823

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 21:52

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 21:52
I have an O/R trailer that has spots to carry numerous plastic jerries including 2 on their side under the floor.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 552825

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 22:55

Wednesday, Apr 22, 2015 at 22:55
When we purchased the generator we carried it in the tow vehicle, but got petrol fumes if we hit bumps, even when it was run to empty. The petrol can was on a rack on the a-frame, but was obvious to those hailing us "we almost home when we ran out of fuel, can you give us just a bit?" then emptied the whole 2 litres into their car :O leaving us with none for our needs.

Our only realistic option was a generator box that also holds petrol and oil cans on the a-frame. It is a tight squeeze, but they are safe under lock and key, and I can breathe easy.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 552827

Reply By: TomH - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 07:54

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 07:54
A good summary about carrying fuel is here

http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7061

One does say no to mixing gas and petrol in same area
AnswerID: 552829

Reply By: The Landy - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 08:48

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 08:48
For a small chainsaw I carry a small 5-litre jerry can and have both in a space saver case, which is close to airtight, and the jerry does not vent (release fumes). This is stored in the rear canopy of the vehicle.

Cheer’s Baz – The Landy

AnswerID: 552830

Reply By: Bazza - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 16:23

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 16:23
I believe fuel and gas bottles are safer transported on the roof other than inside vehicles because these no chance of fumes building up. I carry two 4k gas bottles and three 10lt plastic fuel containers, one diesel, one two stroke mix, and one unleaded.
They are securly contained in an open plastic tub and the lot securly straped to my full roof basket.

This works for me.

Capt.
AnswerID: 552842

Reply By: terryj2 - Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 19:48

Thursday, Apr 23, 2015 at 19:48
Thanks all for your input. Certainly had a variety of suggestions and information. Haven't decided which way to go but will digest all this info and come to a decision before we leave on our trip.. Again thanks to all
AnswerID: 552857

Sponsored Links