Fraser Island - <span class="highlight">Caravan</span>?

Submitted: Monday, Apr 18, 2016 at 00:31
ThreadID: 132154 Views:7457 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I remember Fraser Island being very soft sand from Inskip. What is the best place to tow a caravan to on Fraser (assuming a base camp is the go)? Is it an easy task to pull a van onto the barge and then to a camping spot on the island? 18 foot Jayco Expanda Outback. It has no super high clearance and will be towed with an auto Prado.
Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Monday, Apr 18, 2016 at 07:53

Monday, Apr 18, 2016 at 07:53
We don't tow so I can't advise you myself, but this thread found with Google may help.

Phil

Thread from a Caravaners forum
AnswerID: 598789

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, Apr 18, 2016 at 08:13

Monday, Apr 18, 2016 at 08:13
Yeah. The beach was packed and billiard ball smooth when I was there but getting off the ferry is the challenge, and the inland tracks were deepish and softish. Some of them were difficult for a capable lifted 4WD on its own.
AnswerID: 598791

Reply By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Monday, Apr 18, 2016 at 09:48

Monday, Apr 18, 2016 at 09:48
We were there last week and saw several caravans in the CP at Cathedrals, on the beach and on the ferry. Some where rugged off road units but others were lifted versions of on road vans. The sand below the high tide mark was firm and even when pushed up into loose stuff by the temporary air strips there was no problem. Ferry access and egress were easy,

It would be best to travel as near to low tide as possible so that you can get around places like Poyungan and Yidney Rocks. The bypasses could be a bit of a challenge unless you have stacks of towing power, although the tourist buses were negotiating them with no trouble.

But to take the van on inland tracks would be a very slow and frustrating experience, particularly to other track users.

Here is a pic of one caravan taking it easy beside Eli Creek.

Cheers, Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 598795

Reply By: gbc - Monday, Apr 18, 2016 at 10:49

Monday, Apr 18, 2016 at 10:49
The island changes every day. I have towed boats and trailers up there for years. Most times you won't have an issue getting a low tide barge from inskip and off up the beach.
I've also had times there where the barge can't make it to dry sand and we've had to drive into foot deep salt water towing the boat and bogged before we could square up to the beach. The boat trailer jammed on the ramp from the extreme angle. The barge pulled out from under me and left me there while he unloaded 30 foot away. Not a fun day - my travelling companions snatched me out.
Prepare well, let lots of air out of the car and even more out of the van, and never take a trip to Fraser for granted - you aren't a local up there until you've left a vehicle behind.
If you aren't sure, take the car and book a unit - it can be a hard place on vans and trailers when it goes wrong.
AnswerID: 598800

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Apr 18, 2016 at 13:19

Monday, Apr 18, 2016 at 13:19
Fraser is in our 'backyard' and we get there often. We don't tow a van and the Troopy never has a problem but we have towed a few others out of problems.

I would not think that towing a van on Fraser would be "an easy task" but it is done regularly. There can be difficulties so single vehicle access for experience would be preferable before towing a van onto the island. However with advice and care you could be OK. If you can get unaided from the bitumen through the churned soft sand onto the barge is a good start.

You should plan to be on the barge 1-2 hours before low tide to land on firm sand and give yourselves plenty of time to travel up the beach to your camp site before the incoming tide gets far up the beach. The last thing you need is to be caught by a rising tide.

There is lots of authoritative advice online. Here is one.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 598812

Sponsored Links