WA trip ..observations Adelaide - Mt Magnet fuel & <span class="highlight">caravan</span> parks

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 18:29
ThreadID: 133050 Views:3927 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
HI ho possums...
brief summary of where n what n maybes for anyone contemplating a westward trip in the near future.
buy online, a WA RAC card including 12mth WA Nat Park pass for $50-60. Gives U 4cColes Express fuel discount without shopping & "free" national park access. Check out their Web site for details.

Pensioners; u all know the drill...don't ask ..don't get...always ask if there's any pensioner discount or RAA or RACWA membership concession.

FUEL e&oe
(Nullabor diesel fuel costs as of 10th July)
Ceduna OTR. western side of twn $1.20 & the cheapest found in twn.
nullabor roadhs $1.68
Eucla roadhs $1.57
Caiguna $1.60ish
norseman BP $1.337
Kalgoorlie Wooliescaltex with 4c disc $1.219, noting Coles - 2c dearer.
Leonora SHELL 5c cheaper than competition; PLUS 4c disc with WA RAC & Coles flybuys $1.37
Leinster no choice 25/7 teller machine card only $1.45
Sandstone no choice 25/7 teller machine card only $1.38
Mt Magnet @ BP with "amazing north" booklet..provides 4c discount. $1.28

CARAVAN PARKS - with pensioner concessions & pwrd site.
Ceduna foreshore $27 good clean park n amenities. Level gravel n conc slab sites
Eucla $25 good value tidy park.
kalgoorlie c/pk .old mainly local workers limited sites $30. Better option @ prospector c/pk for about same tariff.
Leinster $20 pot luck with power. Use a portable hairdryer or such to locate a working power outlet b4 u reverse in!!! PAY AT SUPERMARKET Conc slab. Get there early. Good amenities & free laundry inc drier..
Sandstone A MUST stop spot. EXCELLENT!! $25 gr8 amenities gravel site. LAWNS & GR8 camp kitchen , outdoor gym circuit.
Mt Magnet really tidy good amenities $27 lawn conc & gravel with drive thru's.

TOWNS & interest spots: ALL SEALED ROADS.
Kalgoorlie; Big pit. Town Hall tour. Museum.
PICk up golden north GOLDFIELDS LOOP brochures @ town hall tourist office.
Jaycar electrical for any 12v assistance .

Leonora; tourist office & displays ;Gwalia mine museum & do the tour - $2ea with audio guide. Use their self guide app for town tour. When heading north use the Agnew loop tour up the bitumen.

Leinster; town is open & supermarket well stocked. Use staff mess for free WI-FI .
Local Agnew Loop tour is worthwhile.

Sandstone; TOP TOWN tidy well organised tourist centre. Do the brewery loop tour. DEFINATELY TRY LADY DI PIES BY TOURIST CTR.!!

Mt Magnet. Tidy & busy. DO TRY THE BUTCHER'S SMALLGOODS. IGA fresh bread & supplies come in thursdsys. Do easy drive tourist & mine tour plus tourist office.
well stocked HARDWARE store at reasonable prices.

Local tourist offices;
PICK UP a copy of the"Amazing North" tourist booklet which includes discount BP FUEL VOUCHERS for many Pilbara towns & some c/park discounts.

Safe travels
Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 18:38

Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 18:38
Thank you I'm sure that's useful to Forum readers. It would be awesome if you were to add those bits of info into each Place so when people look it up (maybe using the app when on the road) this information is immediately available to them within context of where they are. Most of the Places you've mentioned have been hyperlinked already so just click the links in your post above. Any towns that haven't got a hyperlink are still there in Places just don't have a photo yet so don't have a hyperlink but you can go to Places - and do a search to locate the page. Then just add your comment :)
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 602622

Reply By: 08crd - Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 19:54

Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 19:54
Great write up pete, the only things I would add and not trying to detract from your post.
!.
When crossing the Nullabor, google the stops e.g Penong, Nullabor, Border Village, Ceduna, Mundrabilla, Madura Pass, Caiguna, Cocklebiddy and Balladonia.
Write down their phone numbers and give them a call, find out the prices for fuel.
I believe that five of the stations, are owned by the same company, therefore prices of the non affiliated can be different.
When heading North from Kalgoorlie to Lienster, there is a lot of interesting attractions and history, it is worth allowing probably 4 days.
AnswerID: 602624

Follow Up By: Member - Laurie K (WA) - Friday, Jul 22, 2016 at 21:44

Friday, Jul 22, 2016 at 21:44
Add Nundroo to this list. Nullarbor has historically been the dearest place, Eucla cheapest, with Border Village and Mundrabilla next cheapest.

cheers
Laurie
FollowupID: 872332

Reply By: Zippo - Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 23:09

Thursday, Jul 21, 2016 at 23:09
Just a quick comment on fuel prices in a couple of WA locations. Kalgoorlie last Monday all the usual suspects were 125.9, the taxi co-op was 120.9. Apparently they are "quite often" ahead of the rest. In Norseman the BP - being on the prime corner location - gets most passing-through types who don't look any further. The Caltex is usually several cents cheaper. But like all things, these can change daily. The govco fuelwatch site is the final word.
AnswerID: 602633

Follow Up By: PeterInSa - Friday, Jul 22, 2016 at 17:50

Friday, Jul 22, 2016 at 17:50
Zippo,
I to use the Caltex at Norsemen, but 4 to 5 days ago BP was cheaper at 1.33 Caltex $1.34, but I used the Fast fill truck stop bowser at the Caltex for $1.32.
FollowupID: 872310

Reply By: eaglefree - Friday, Jul 22, 2016 at 18:49

Friday, Jul 22, 2016 at 18:49
Currently at Port Lincoln SA on the last leg if out round oz trip from Euroa Vic.

We prefer to shop away from the larger supermarkets but when we do we get our 4c voucher for fuel discount.

However 50% of the time the said service station is over 4c dearer than the little guy. In that case on principle we go to the little bloke to refuel.

AnswerID: 602673

Sponsored Links