best winch - seems it been a while since this topic has been raised

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 11, 2017 at 20:22
ThreadID: 134095 Views:10043 Replies:11 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I'd like a 12,000 / 12,500 LB winch as my vehicle will be around 4,000kg when fully loaded and I'll also have 2200kg camper at times.
I'd like synthetic rope and wireless for easy of use when pulling boat out;
I've been looking at;
Warn - expensive with possible warranty issue's for water ingress, even with waterproof models
T-Max - not sure about wireless model, hard to find info on this one
VRS - seem OK, good report on 4x4 Aust
Ironman - not sure about heating issue with drum break
Runva - not sure about wireless and quality

I'm interested in recommendations from experience
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 01:14

Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 01:14
G'day Croaky,

First up I am no ones expert on winches but here goes what little I have experienced.

I have a T Max 10,000 non wireless just the plug in harness.
From what I can see the build quality appears OK. As far as usage goes mine has only had 2 runs. Once to make sure it actually worked and to bed the steel rope in properly by pulling my Cruiser up a bit of a slope. The other to pull another bloke out of a soft sand patch. It seemed to handle that OK even though he had well and truly buried it.
AFAIK the synthetic rope heating problem is only with the brake mechanism inside the drum, but you seem to be onto that one anyway.If I had occasion to replace what I've got I reckon I would go wireless remote but I'm not too sure about the synthetic rope although there is apparently quite a substantial weight saving. I guess if you are going to pull a boat out of the water synthetic would make sense.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 607484

Follow Up By: Member - Croaky - Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 06:21

Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 06:21
Thanks Pop,

From what I can gather there are a few good options to Warn these days and about 1/2 the price, from Australian companies.
Albeit some parts of winches made in china.

I'll be going with the few that have IP67 and IP68 full water proofing and some even cover warranty if winch is submersed under water.
(by accounts if you tell Warn it has been fully submerged it will probably void warranty on a very expensive winch, if you read the fine print)
FollowupID: 877184

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 06:59

Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 06:59
Superwinch is another to consider?

Cheers, Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 607485

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 08:46

Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 08:46
Hi Croaky
I have a 7 year old remote Ironman 12000lb with rope, purchased second hand 5 years ago from a 4wd instructor.
Recovered 2 fully loaded landcruisers out of wet beach sand up to their bellies on 2 seperate occassions, though a lot of digging, 2 other vehicles connected to my rear for anchorage and a few hours of stress from tides, we got them out AOK.
The way i was taught to operate a winch is to take as much stress of the winch as possible, give it a rest after every 30 seconds of use for 15 seconds.
The last time i used the winch was 2 years ago, pulled a few smaller stumps out of the garden.
I only use it as a last line of defence these days, max tracks, tyre pressures, snatching and driving knowledge has pretty much put the winch on permanent holidays .
I can not stress enough the benefit of having a remote with a good range and a few spare double A's.
Cheers
AnswerID: 607488

Reply By: Malcom M - Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 09:39

Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 09:39
I have a Premier and a Tigerz Although the Premier is several times the price, both have been brilliant.

Everyone is going to recommend what they have so you aren't really going to learn much.
I suggest you get a list of the names that members reckon are good and then Google them all for fault reports.

All winches are wonderful till they crap out when needed most...
AnswerID: 607491

Reply By: Batt's - Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 10:56

Thursday, Jan 12, 2017 at 10:56
My old 1999 model Warn XD9000 is still fine but if your after waterproof maybe one of these is for you they have a 5yr warranty how does that compare to the others
https://www.sherpa4x4.com.au/
AnswerID: 607495

Reply By: john m85 - Friday, Jan 13, 2017 at 16:42

Friday, Jan 13, 2017 at 16:42
I have a 8ooolb warn 30 years old not a spec of trouble
AnswerID: 607524

Reply By: Member - Munji - Friday, Jan 13, 2017 at 18:55

Friday, Jan 13, 2017 at 18:55
Try Terrain Tamer - they like most others import theirs from China.
What they do is pull the winches apart, check all components and replace what is suspect, new load of grease before they sell them.
They offer as good a warranty as anyone else with similar IP ratings
Remember IP is not water proof.
Good luck
AnswerID: 607532

Reply By: Member - Croaky - Saturday, Jan 14, 2017 at 12:39

Saturday, Jan 14, 2017 at 12:39
Thanks all for feedback, seems everyone is pretty much happy with what they have.
Remember my criteria was;
- Around 12000LB
- Synthetic rope
- At least IP67 water and dust rating
- A good wireless option
So that rules out a lot of winches mentioned.

I've also ruled out the el-chepo under $600 options which there are many.

The top of the pile IMO is;
- Warn Zeon premium and platinum - top dollar top winches

Then I've dropped straight down to the $800 to $1600 dollar range, all Australian design and specification but made in china like the majority of winches;
T-Max
VRS
Runva
and a stand out as far as I can see is a relatively new contender the Carbon Winch RRP $849, 12000LB, full IP68 rating and light at under 20kg (23.45KG total weigh all components fitted).

I'll keep you posted on my final decision, hopefully I'll decide early next week.

regards
Croaky
AnswerID: 607552

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 14, 2017 at 13:52

Saturday, Jan 14, 2017 at 13:52
Did you check out the link to Sherpa winches? If you did I would be interested to know why you discounted them.
FollowupID: 877247

Reply By: Batt's - Saturday, Jan 14, 2017 at 13:15

Saturday, Jan 14, 2017 at 13:15
Have you seen the punishment the 4x4 adventure team put their TJM winches through and their pulling a lot more gear around than the average 4WDriver does. Yes we can't see what happens off camera but they seem to be putting the winches through a torture test that most 4WDrivers would never encounter.
AnswerID: 607553

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 14, 2017 at 16:44

Saturday, Jan 14, 2017 at 16:44
Hi Croaky,

You mentioned that you were unsure of Runva's wireless and quality. I find it excellent. Good range and reliability.

I am not a big winch user so I cannot comment on long term reliability under frequent hard use. But it does work every time I give it its bi-monthly maintenance run :-)

I chose Runva after reading this. You also may find that link useful, particularly in regard to warranty comparisons and water ingress.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 607561

Reply By: Member - Croaky - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 08:39

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 08:39
My apologies to those who thought this was a comprehensive post on winch recommendations for all, as, my post was to gather information for myself, to decide what winch to buy for new vehicle.
Again, I was after 12000LB plus winches with at least IP67 rating with good remoted.

It seems that most of you are happy with the winch you have, albeit not fitting my criteria.

The link posted by Frank P is a comprehensive listing of 'Buy' and 'Walk' recommendations, primarily bases on warranty regarding water and customer service, this is the link;
Winch 'Buy' or 'Walk'

There has been a lot of time spent on this link, and a lot of you wont' be happy with your winches listed on the 'Walk' list, but remember this link is based on 'warranty' particularly in regards to water and customer service.

Cheers
Ken
AnswerID: 607613

Sponsored Links