Generators

Submitted: Sunday, Jan 15, 2017 at 22:20
ThreadID: 134110 Views:6346 Replies:25 FollowUps:44
This Thread has been Archived
I hate generators.
Often read comments here that people use them considerately, but that is not my experience.
Too many times in the bush, at a really nice spot alongside a river, the tranquility Is spoilt by people moving in next to us with a generator.
Last week we stayed at just such a place. Van came in , at 5pm the generator started. Ok I thought, maybe they are preparing dinner and need the microwave or something. At 10 pm it was still going. I went over, had a yarn, and asked if he is turning off his generator considering it is cutting into the quiet of the night and it is well past the reasonable hour.
Only to have a reply, no mate this is running our airconditioner tonight, hope thats ok. I said it is not, it is bothering us, and the reply was sorry mate.
I know there are some that needs it for medical reasons running a machine or something, or so I understand. But my experience however is different, have seldom experienced reasonable use, rather we experience selfish use of the damn machine.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, Jan 15, 2017 at 22:39

Sunday, Jan 15, 2017 at 22:39
A bit pointless hating an inamimate object - I think what you actually have a problem with is inconsiderate users, and yes there are some !!
Just as there are other campers who make lots of noise (even without a generator), leave a mess, camp right next to you when there's 10 hectares of space available, etc etc.......
Good thing it's a big country :-)
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 607602

Follow Up By: Deejay - Saturday, Jan 21, 2017 at 23:34

Saturday, Jan 21, 2017 at 23:34
You can always put sugar in the petrol tank while the owners are inside getting cool. Works every time.
FollowupID: 877592

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Jan 22, 2017 at 08:20

Sunday, Jan 22, 2017 at 08:20
Didn't work for the Mythbusters!

FollowupID: 877600

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Sunday, Jan 22, 2017 at 09:28

Sunday, Jan 22, 2017 at 09:28
Yes, the word is it's no better than sand in the tank. It doesn't dissolve and just clogs the lines and filters.
FollowupID: 877604

Reply By: Iza B - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 06:29

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 06:29
I guess that was just an example of "Stuff you, I'm alright Jack" anti-social attitude we see so much more of, every day.

It is a big country and those considerate of others can easily find a park where the noise of their generator will not disturb others.
AnswerID: 607608

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 08:34

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 08:34
Yep I agree, the notion of being considerate is lost on many people these days its all about me, me, me. Its useful to ponder this I think:
considerate
ken'sideret
adjective
careful not to inconvenience or harm others.
"she was unfailingly kind and considerate in using the generator only as absolutely necessary"
Consideration is about others ......
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 607612

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 08:58

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 08:58
When it all boils down the real issue are inconsiderate and intolerant campers.

And in my experience the 80/20 rule applies.

80% of campers are both considerate of others and tolerant towards others, after all we are all out there to enjoy ourselves.

The other 20% just tend to be ignorant – when we come across either inconsiderate or intolerant people we simply move on, you usually can’t change them, and besides life is way too short to even bother…

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 607615

Follow Up By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 09:46

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 09:46
You might be on to something there Baz. There could well be a correlation between the 80% of considerate campers and campers who don't own a generator.

Cheers, Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 877303

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 10:15

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 10:15
Hi Kevin

Perhaps there might be, however to arrive at such a conclusion one would need to be of a view that people who own generators are the sole cause of all noise issues in camp areas or that generators are the only source of all noise problems amongst campers.

Has that been your experience or that of others – the only noise problem encountered in people’s travels was from a generator and that if the noise wasn’t from a generator that it was caused by someone who owns a generator? If the answer is no, than I suspect any such correlation is tenuous at best.

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 877304

Follow Up By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:00

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:00
Baz, in the last 10 years we have spent a substantial amount of time on the road. About 90% (an estimate) of nights are spent in caravan parks and the remainder in "free" camps of various kinds. A significant number of those 10% of nights have been impacted to some extent by generators. Enough that I consider them to be an antisocial device. I don't own one and won't, unless we start having regular blackouts in Brisbane. Which ultimately seems likely, unfortunately.

Cheers, Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 877306

Reply By: Dusty D - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 09:23

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 09:23
There has been a huge change in attitudes and behaviour with the travelling public in recent times, especially when it comes to noise issues whether it be generators, kids enjoying themselves, barking dogs, diesel heaters, air-cons, vehicles idling and the list goes on and on.........

We live in a world of noise, there is no escaping it when people congregate and I guess it comes down to a matter of grin and bear it or move on and find your own private quiet spot well away from others. Should you have to move to escape noise? No, of course not, but sometimes it is the only choice because it is very naive to believe that you can camp anywhere near others and expect them to observe your standards and not their own.

I use a generator every day with my opal mining and rarely take any notice of generators being used when travelling – it’s a background noise that is just part of life for me. I spend a few months of the year in remote fishing camps with generators running 24/7 and once again, it’s just back ground noise to me that I do not notice.

We all have to accept the fact that no matter where you are or what your expectations are, somebody will do something that rattles your cage a bit – that’s life.

Dusty
AnswerID: 607618

Reply By: Sigmund - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 10:40

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 10:40
I was taking my partner on one of the few bushwalks we've done together, on the Bogong High Plains. We'd set up tent on the vehicle track, near a creek, on the only stretch of level track around.

A group of walkers came down later on, and the leader said something like 'I reckon you'll want your privacy' and took his group further on to set up on sloping ground.
AnswerID: 607622

Follow Up By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 10:54

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 10:54
I wonder what would have happened if they had been a group of 4 wheel drives towing off road caravans?

Cheers, Kevin
Kevin

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 877305

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:18

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:18
Well, being a closed track I think I would've got on the phone and spoken with the Ranger!
FollowupID: 877307

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:41

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:41
Sort of on topic ......

One thing I've had happen a number of times when solo camping is a new arrival deciding to set up right next to your campsite when there's acres of campground. I don't mind too much if they are willing to be social and share a few beers over a mutual campfire, however in a lot of cases they simply ignore you and don't want to chat. Begs the question .... why??

Happened in Wolfe Crater campsite once .... I was the only one there, and a fritz in a britz couple literally set up within p*ssing distance of my 4by, and then proceeded to ignore me.

Maybe it's some innate herding instinct?
AnswerID: 607626

Follow Up By: Paul E6 - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 18:31

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 18:31
I can understand it. They may have thought you wanted privacy, and I know I appreciate it when people respect my privacy.
Do I want to chat around the campfire listening to tall yarns? not necessarily, but sometimes in moderation.
I resent it when people set up close to me when theres lots of room elsewhere.
FollowupID: 877317

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 18:42

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 18:42
Paul, agree that some people don't want to chat, however, if they want to respect my privacy (and ensure theirs), the best way is to go to the other end of the flipping campground. I don't see how camping six feet away is respecting my privacy.
FollowupID: 877320

Follow Up By: Paul E6 - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 20:57

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 20:57
Agreed on that.
FollowupID: 877323

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 18:39

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 18:39
C'mon Scott. The were probably thinking about what happened to the last "fritz" couple that set up camp there.
Maybe they figured a big brawny Aussie camped close by could come in handy just in case Mick Taylor happened to be in the neighbourhood.

(;-0)

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 877372

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 21:06

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 21:06
If that happens, you only have to run faster than your neighbour :)
FollowupID: 877379

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 23:05

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 23:05
Pop, funny thing .... I was a single bloke in a rather feral looking 40 series.

Sadly it was before the movie came out :-)

Suspect they would've run for the hills afterwards ........ could've put the old hat on, grabbed the machete out of the back of the truck and uttered the immortal words ....

****s ****ed
FollowupID: 877390

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 23:12

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 23:12
It seems that many European campers suffer from agoraphobia in our wide open spaces. They only seem comfortable and secure when in close proximity to others - they way they live at home. They don't realise we live with a different sized personal space. They are also often reluctant to converse with us, and this is more than a language barrier. However this does not apply to all, and we have conversed with other young Europeans travellers who have been very happy to chat.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 877393

Reply By: Member - Jim B8 - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:41

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 11:41
I hate city people who camp real close as they are scared of the dark. Some bring music, some bring generators, and I wish they would harden up and learn to camp alone. Put out an annexe, and some sook pitches his tent right under it??? And want to come over for a party that night?? Bring the kids?? Must be getting old ha ha?
AnswerID: 607627

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 12:38

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 12:38
I had one of those once, a bloke by himself in a converted small bus. Pulled up almost on top of me when there was acres of room. I asked him why and his reply was he was nervous and liked to be near people.

We sorted it out ok, but it had me wondering ....
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 877308

Follow Up By: Paul E6 - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 18:33

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 18:33
how do you know theyre city people?
FollowupID: 877318

Follow Up By: Member - Jim B8 - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 19:07

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 19:07
Just baiting, this thread HAD to turn south, I mean, "I hate generators"??
FollowupID: 877321

Reply By: Mudripper - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 12:58

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 12:58
AnswerID: 607630

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 14:39

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 14:39
Given a choice, I would much rather listen to somebody's generator than their loud music & bogan language!
I hate music when I'm camping, why don't people just listen to the sounds of the bush? I've had 5 or 6 campers & never even turned on the radio.

AnswerID: 607636

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 22:39

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 22:39
yep, and amazing just how far any sound travels at night, especially in the the beatiful quiet of the bush.
Music seems to be among the worst noises to carry (after generators !! :D)
FollowupID: 877327

Reply By: cruiser 3 - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 17:15

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 17:15
My experience with those people who arrive in a quiet area then start their generator is that they wish to express their superiority over everyone else. The attitude is I will do as I like and stuff you.
Their attitude quickly changes to anger later in the night when the generator stops working and all efforts to start it again fail.
The next morning in the light of day it was found that a large handful of sand had entered the engine much to the amusement of everyone else in camp. By the look on his face he wasn't feeling so superior then.
AnswerID: 607639

Follow Up By: Paul E6 - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 18:35

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 18:35
wow,you did that?
I would appreciate a cure for loud laughter late at night if you have one...
FollowupID: 877319

Reply By: Member - Ross N (NSW) - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 17:50

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 17:50
Frank P (NSW),
I wonder how your new neighbour didn't know that you were an axe murderer on
Parole?
Why did he assume he was safe with you?
Ross
Ross N

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 607640

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 18:31

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 18:31
Exactly, Ross. Maybe it was my disguise :-)

The poor guy had some issues. A little bit different if you know what I mean. I helped him set up his camp reasonably separated from mine and tried to reassure him that he was in a safe place. He was nervous, but settled in ok.

At least he didn't have a generator!! :-) (And neither did I.)

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 877316

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 18:29

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 18:29
CSeaJay

I hate Generators as well.

All that peace and quite and some idiot want to start a genny so he has air conditioner ..I would not have been so nice to that rude knucklehead.

The Generator would have been making some expensive noises, and eventually would have stoped ,( A bit of sugar would help the process along ) Once the idiot went to sleep.

And yes I am very intolerant to rude people , but very friendly to thoughtful people .

Cheers

AnswerID: 607642

Follow Up By: Member - Blue M - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 03:33

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 03:33
Mark,
all I can say to your comment is, should you ever do something like that to anything of mine, make sure you have mobile service so you can ring triple "O" for an ambulance.

Not only that, I know a lot of intelligent people that own a generator, but not many smart people who makes a comments like you have.

Have a nice day.

FollowupID: 877332

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 19:40

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 19:40
There is a reason why many camp grounds explicitly ban generators and amplified music.
AnswerID: 607643

Reply By: Member - Andrew & Jen - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 20:12

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 20:12
I think the problem is going to get worse.
Not long ago we were one of two vans parked in a large area off the Stuart Hwy, probably would have fitted in 30 vans without too much of a squeeze.
About 5ish a brand new van was backed in right next to us ~ 3 m away.
It was clear that this was more than likely their first trip. As it was a quick overnighter for us, we let them be.
Wife got out of the brand new car and promptly disappeared inside the van, not to be seen again until they left the next morning. About 6ish, husband appeared and lifted a big flap at the back of the van. Soon after the sound of a large-ish generator was heard. As the fumes from the generator were coming in our side windows, I closed them and wandered out. With no one around I peeped around the back to see that the generator was mounted in the back of the van with a long exhaust pipe sticking straight out the back. This pipe was acting as a resonator!
Every time a load came on, the governor gave the engine a boost, with, of course, more noise! They turned it off about 10ish. Next morning it started up again about 6.45.
After our breakfast and as I was packing things up for departure the husband came out and in a friendly manner I asked was it their first trip. Yes he said, we are heading for Darwin. Well I said, I think it would be useful for you to know that more arguments in camps happen through the use of generators than probably any other single cause. Him - Oh! Me - Many people camp out because they like the silence of the bush. Well, he said that is the only way we can power our van when we are not in a CP as everything is 240v. We have an electric HWS, an induction cooker, 2 TVs, a dishwasher, a washing machine and dryer. Besides, he said, because the inside of the generator cabinet is so well insulated, we can't hear a thing.
I suggested that parking away from others already set up might be prudent, or if this was not possible, asking immediate neighbours would they mind could ease things a bit.
The van was not fitted with any solar power as the manufacturer said they were not necessary since he had the generator.
This, for increasing numbers of people who "want to take the lot", may become the norm!
I could go on with the discussion re mass limits but perhaps that could wait for another thread.
Cheers
Andrew
AnswerID: 607644

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 23:01

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 23:01
"Besides, he said, because the inside of the generator cabinet is so well insulated, we can't hear a thing."

Suspect that's the same mentality of people who put it on the other side of their Caravan. Quieter there .... the fact that it's smack in the middle the neighbours outside area doesn't seem to occur to them.

Had one of those at a campsite up in the Kimberly. Refused to move it to his side until I suggested it would not be functioning in the morning if he left it on my side. He honestly couldn't see what the problem was.......
FollowupID: 877329

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 20:25

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 20:25
It amuses me when these people start idling their cars to run their 3 fridges and recharge their Ipads when generators are not allowed in the campground.
AnswerID: 607645

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 20:40

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 20:40
-
Yes Phil, The stench of an idling diesel can be worse than a humming generator.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 877322

Follow Up By: Member - Bongo (NT) - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 22:21

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 22:21
Mmm! I own a generator but. One night camping at Edith Falls, NT, a large van pulled up. Started his generator and then his AC. I went to the information board and rang the number for the Rangers. They came and told him generators were not permitted. You guessed it; he started his vehicle and ran it all night. What a wanket!
FollowupID: 877325

Follow Up By: GREG T11 - Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 22:30

Monday, Jan 16, 2017 at 22:30
It amuses me when 30 years ago people were able to visit the exact same areas with their new or old kingswood and a tent, esky and a gas lantern. !

Nowadays apparently you require a $ 100,000 Landcruiser and a van with all the goodies including the aircon.to be able to survive.

Give me Port Douglas, Mission and Airlie beach and a heap of others all along the eastern seaboard with uncurbed streets old style pubs with genuine food ( not a bread plate with a poofy piece of MKR imitation for $25 )

We were extremely fortunate to have been able to see the majority of the east coast before it became in some cases overdeveloped and overcrowded. The tailend of our annual trips to our favourite spot Yuringur Nat Park coincided with the start of the grey nomad boom, For many a year we would be the only ones there ! Towards the end it became common for 3 or 4 vans to rock up and drop anchor 10 mtrs away. In the end we gave up .

I also found the most down to earth people were those travelling light. Those with the new vans and latest and greatest were only interested in... well penis substitution . It was getting like there is a cloning program of Kyle Sanderson going on that the government was not telling me about.

There is another thread going on at the moment on another camping forum about gun laws relating to the U.S.A, of course the Oz aspect has been raised saying they are restrictive here. I for one totally understand the reasoning behind it, after all if I was able to pick up a gun and shoot someone it would either be a camper or a politician . The camper would be in a fit of rage which I would regret later. The politician only if I missed.

Anyways happy camping !

FollowupID: 877326

Reply By: Member - Blue M - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 03:25

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 03:25
Wow, what a lot of unhappy little vegemite's we have on this thread.

Some even openly talking about resorting to "acts of vandalism", thinking this is more socially acceptable than making a noise.

I find it hard to understand how some people think sometimes.

I understand that there are some very selfish people out travelling and it is always about me, me, me.
But that becomes a two sided story as well, for the man with the generator thinks its all about me and what I want.
The man that believes every thing has to go the way I want, is all about me as well.

If any person that could encounter maybe 100 different campers on his travels thinks he is going to get them all to fall into what he says is acceptable behaviour, really lives in a fantasy world.

Maybe the generator haters should look this differently also.
Do the maths, maths solves problem world wide
Tell yourself, I have been on the road for 100 nights and been annoyed for 5 of them by noisy generators, but hay I still had 95 where I wasn't, so I am in front.

Just my humble thoughts on this very delicate matter.

Cheers
AnswerID: 607652

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 06:27

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 06:27
My sentiment precisely.

There are inconsiderate people and intolerant people, when we meet either of these people on the road we move on.

And here is the best thing, I could count on the fingers of one-hand how often this has happened over a life-time of camping. Just proves to me that most people are considerate and tolerant, noting I have come across many people using generator's, considerately...

As for acts of vandalism when it comes to silencing generators - well it speaks for itself and volumes of those suggesting it. Hopefully those suggesting that are doing no more than a bit of key-board chest beating. Personally, I'd like to think that those who choose to associate themselves with the EO community would be above that type of anti-social behaviour.

And to comments about those needing to travel with all the mod-cons these days, and why don't they leave them at home - for many the van they are in and the road they are on is their home. I think we will see more of this in the years ahead, for some it will be a lifestyle choice, for others an economic one...

If only everyone could just walk a mile in someone else's shoes perhaps we wouldn't have inconsiderate people, intolerant people, or vandal's in our camp grounds.

But this thread was always going to be about the detractors, I guess, especially with an opening gambit of "I hate generator's"...

Cheers, Baz
FollowupID: 877333

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 07:44

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 07:44
Baz,

It's not quite so easy to move on if some inconsiderate person pulls up close to you and proceeds to run their generator, or for that matter their boom box.
In many cases it takes time to set up one's campsite and to have to pull it down to move on, because of some ignorant person whom doesn't consider others, is not a practical option and therefore aggravation in a multitude of forms, from one party or another, arises.

The biggest problem is that some people just have a negative attitude to the noise impact on other folk sharing a campground, or they are ignorant of acceptable camping etiquette. This noise is not restricted to generators, but they are one of the more common causes.

Tolerance is a difficult thing after you have already set up camp in a nice quiet spot, only to be invaded by others' noise induced existence of any form.
Education, awareness and respect for others are the attributes required.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

FollowupID: 877334

Follow Up By: Dusty D - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 08:32

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 08:32
"Education, awareness and respect for others are the attributes required."

The attributes of awareness & respect for others were instilled in most people early in life Bill, but unfortunately there is a growing number out there who are completely oblivious to how their actions affect others and no amount of education will change the majority of them. They will keep on doing whatever they like with total disregard for others because they were never taught any different.

I do believe that one of the problems is also the way some people approach others. Just reading some of the comments here advocating vandalism and violence shows that conflict resolution was never part of their education.

Dusty
FollowupID: 877335

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 08:50

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 08:50
Hi Bill

I understand the point you are making in this instance and the points of view we have exchanged on the same topic previously.

But for us, we move on the next day and save ourselves any angst if the habits of fellow campers are that bad that we can’t tolerate it, so our level of tolerance and patience is only stretched to one night. And as we drive out of the camp site we leave the "bad karma" behind and get on with enjoying ourselves...

It comes down to us assessing whether breaking camp is less onerous than the angst of putting up with fellow campers whose habits are not to our liking, regardless of who was there first.

Mind you as I highlighted, such occasions have been rare in a lifetime of camping.

On occasions when we camp in proximity to others, we accept that our level of patience and tolerance needs to match the popularity and accessibility of where we are camping – a simple fact that we have learnt to accept and an approach that keeps our blood pressure down and hopefully that of our fellow campers.

Others may choose to take a differing approach to us and as some have even highlighted, this might include vandalism of someone else’s property to get a desired outcome – for us, life is way too short and Australia way too big to let that level of angst or person into our lives, and I’m betting I am not Robinson Crusoe on that one, at least I would like to think so…

Cheers, Baz

FollowupID: 877338

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:23

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:23
You only have to observe how people drive now, to see how little they care about others!

FollowupID: 877344

Follow Up By: Gnomey - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:42

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:42
G'day Folks
This exchange, as sub text for the main thread, summarizes the issues nicely. We humans are equipped with reason and with feelings and we ignore one of those domains at our peril. Reason can provide all sorts of explanations and justifications for things that upset us. The danger here is invalidating perfectly good and normal feelings that are there for good reasons.

At the other end of the spectrum we have reactive feelings, an overreaction to the situation fueled by rage largely untempered by reason. The danger here is more obvious.

The essence of the issue, imho, is intrusion. Generators intrude on our experience of peace and calm, especially when one of the motivations for camping is to get away from exactly that kind of noise (eg traffic and neighbours.) Camping close when there is no imperative to camp close is also experienced as an intrusion.

The essence of consideration in these circumstances is to be aware of what might be intrusive to others, It's a sensibility that is both good and practical for a social species to have. There are, however, broad cultural forces working against that awareness, not least the rise of individualism which is mainly code for being greedy and self absorbed. c/f Donald Trump or Clive Palmer for extreme examples.) For a couple of generations, mine included, parenting in general hasn't helped much with learning how to be considerate.

With more people and higher mobility the potential for camping ground intrusions necessarily increases. Add this to increased "individualism" and the incidence of intrusive (thoughtless, inconsiderate etc) behaviour is guaranteed to rise.

Personally. I have a low tolerance/ high sensitivity for intrusion - camping areas included. Realistically, I am the only one who can do something about that. Trying to logic it away is no longer an option. Wherever feasible I camp away from other people. A track off a track off a track is good rule of thumb because it rules out nearly all conventional vehicles, with or without vans or trailers.

The acid test for me is sleep disturbance. When I can't feasibly camp in solitude I have learned that it is best to move as far away as I can from the intrusion as soon I experience it and without spending the night being disturbed by it. If that isn't an option I ask people politely to make less noise so that I can sleep and then move on the next day.

Some people intrude without knowing it, some without caring and some even do it deliberately, like the bogans with loud music and/or circle work in the camp area.

Cheers
Mark

FollowupID: 877346

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 14:43

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 14:43
The "I hate generators" is pretty strong wording. Something like "dislike intensely" may have been less provoking?

And I wonder if the "haters" ever refuel at Barkly Homestead, Dunmarra or other remote roadhouses that rely on these hateful generators to run the bowsers, fridges, freezers and aircon?

I LOVE generators!!! All my working life, except since we moved to town, has revolved around generators. 32 & 50v DC generators, up to quite large 225kva Cat powered 3 phase gensets, that can power a large station. Without a generator life grinds to a halt pretty rapidly in remote areas.

Well, that's OT, Bill, but I see your point about invasive tactics by some travellers, and it may, as someone else commented, sadly become more common. But don't hate 'em, those inoffensive, purring little Honda gennies, you can barely hear them over the crackle of the camp fire.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 877356

Follow Up By: Member - Blue M - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 16:38

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 16:38
The noise of one little mosquito will keep me awake longer than the consistent hum of a 2kva Honda Generator purring away in the distance.

Cheers
FollowupID: 877367

Follow Up By: Member - mark D18 - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 18:34

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 18:34
Bazz

I read you posts most days and you come across a nice guy and knowledgeable traveller , but don't you at times feel like getting angry with rude inconsiderate people (,you don't always have to be voice of reason on this forum.)

might make you feel empowered instead of sitting on the fence all the time .

Cheers
FollowupID: 877371

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 21:35

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 21:35
Thanks for your note Mark…

You can rest assured I don’t consider myself a fence sitter and I am quite happy to put forward a point of view and argue the merits of it. Informed discussion and debate is one of the best ways one learns from others and it assists one to develop rational thinking, especially if you take the time to listen and be respectful in the process.

And the breadth of knowledge and intellect that is “housed” within the EO community across an almost infinite range of topics is enormous and I look to learn something each time I visit, and to contribute where I think I might add some value.

But on getting angry with rude, inconsiderate people…

There are a lot of things I could get angry about in this world, but I’m not counting a generator, a restless sleeps night, and the need to move on to get some peace and quiet as one of them. But I get it that others might...

Besides, who am I to be the arbiter of other people’s actions, especially if they consider them reasonable? And for sure, there are some general common sense rules that should be observed when camping, both to avoid being inconsiderate, and equally, to avoid being intolerant.

But ultimately, I only get to control my actions, not someone else’s.

I can either waste a lot of time and energy trying to change someone else’s behaviour, possibly to little avail, or take control of the outcome I want - an enjoyable camping experience, without getting all “hot under the collar” even if that means moving on myself...

I consider that empowerment!

Have a good evening and once again, thanks...Baz
FollowupID: 877382

Follow Up By: Member - mark D18 - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 22:03

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 22:03
Bazz

Well put together again ( bloody annoying that someone can put there point across as well as that ).
I will have a look at my approach to inconsiderate people in the future .

No point getting old if you don't get any smarter .

Cheers
FollowupID: 877384

Reply By: philldeb - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 04:30

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 04:30
C Sea Jay If you make stupid comments about expensive noises etc with a generator as to what you think you should do make sure you're have current medical insurance to cover your stupidly

AnswerID: 607654

Reply By: cruiser 3 - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 10:23

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 10:23
Smoking is banned a lot now because of the passive smoking effect.
Noise is no different nor is inhaling the fumes from someone else's equipment.
I have no problem with people doing whatever they want as long as it doesn't interfere with others.
I also agree that caravan ownership is different now, years ago owners would help each other now it's a lot about my van is bigger and has more gadgets than yours.
AnswerID: 607656

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:36

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 12:36
I wonder how many of the generator haters are squeaky clean with their own camping habits?
Personally, I think this post was a cleverly disguised troll.

AnswerID: 607659

Follow Up By: Baz - The Landy - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 13:42

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 13:42
Nothing wrong with a “Dorothy Dix” question especially where it encourages respectful and thoughtful discussion and debate…

To my mind, this thread evolved well beyond the specific premise “I hate generators” – to something more revealing about human behaviour and how individuals interact in the camping environment.

And one of the more thoughtful responses in this thread talked about education, respect, and awareness. In my book, that is not a bad takeaway on camping etiquette for all regardless of the intention of the original poster, whom I'm sure wasn't intending to troll anyone and who contributes regularly to forum discussions...

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
FollowupID: 877352

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017 at 13:28

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017 at 13:28
Shaker

I am not a troll. I have contributed several times to this site over the past decade

CJ
FollowupID: 877423

Reply By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 17:23

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 17:23
Gennies may get turned off at 10 pm but loud drunks tend to go on past midnight. Mentally insert emoticon for sad face. The Golden Rule has no meaning to the inconsiderate...... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 607673

Reply By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 19:10

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 19:10
A quote credited to the late actress Carrie Fisher

"Resentment is akin to drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die."

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 607678

Follow Up By: Member - Blue M - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017 at 09:26

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017 at 09:26
I like that one Pop
FollowupID: 877409

Reply By: Paul E6 - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 19:56

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 19:56
I reckon inconsiderate behaviour is proportional to amount of alcohol consumed.
loud drunks are more irritating to me than gennies.
AnswerID: 607682

Reply By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 21:05

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 21:05
I don't think there is an answer for this, just aggravation. The people causing the problem are doing just fine. I get around it by camping in noisy places on my way to "wherever", and making sure that "wherever" is inaccessible to caravans or people with cars that barely go off road.
Its amazing how if you sleep near a truck stop where the trucks have generators going non stop to keep the cargo cool, it isn't nearly so annoying as a person inconsiderately running one after hours in a van. The intent behind it adds to the aggravation. The trucks can't turn them off and you live with it. The van owner has a choice and it aggravates you to the point of diabolical deeds. :-)
AnswerID: 607686

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 22:18

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2017 at 22:18
-
You make a very good point Michael. It's all to do with tolerance.
The truck fridge generators are necessary. The Honda for the TV is maybe not.
We can sleep through the truck's gennie. The Honda at the caravan drives us wild.
It is our perception of what is reasonable that determines our tolerance.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 877386

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017 at 08:43

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017 at 08:43
Allen, the difference can be a simple as the frequency of the noise source rather than the decibels.

Fridge pan compressor motors are loud compared with a little honda but maybe the noise frequency they run at makes the difference.

FollowupID: 877404

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017 at 09:41

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017 at 09:41
No, I think it's the fact that you are lying there stewing about what a mongrel the other guy is that adds to the moment.
FollowupID: 877411

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017 at 20:50

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017 at 20:50
Perhaps it sums up the whole thread...

Good luck out there, however you find it!

Cheers, Baz - The Landy

AnswerID: 607724

Follow Up By: 9900Eagle - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017 at 21:22

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2017 at 21:22
Mate I think you summed it up.
FollowupID: 877452

Sponsored Links