Has anyone chosen an older model car over a newer one?

Submitted: Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 08:30
ThreadID: 134150 Views:3768 Replies:21 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
....even if you can afford the newer? It may be the conundrum I'm facing at the.moment.
What were your reasons besides price?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 08:43

Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 08:43
I bought a 2006 Prado 1kz-te instead of a later D4D, because it has a better ability to digest the dodgy fuels that can be found in the Outback.
I realised that it wasn't as economical & didn't perform as well, but DP Chip & 3" exhaust overcame the performance shortfall.
AnswerID: 607782

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 09:15

Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 09:15
In 2007 I brought my first 4WD a cheapie to see what I want from a 4WD, it was a '92 Nissan Patrol it ran so well and I received a lot of good favorable comments about it (probably from Nissan fans) that I decided to upgrade to a '94 with less milage on it, so far so good. Hopefully out in the bush it can be fixed, if it breaks down, unlike some of the modern electronically controlled vehicles.
Hope I haven't put the mozz on it by stating this.

Cheers
Graham
AnswerID: 607784

Reply By: Member - Keith C (NSW) - Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 09:51

Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 09:51
PAUL.
I've got an 80 series cruiser, petrol/gas, had it from new, 378,000ks now, can't wear it out, easy to service and great to drive, have got it fitted up for travel, I don't want to change. Regards Keith
AnswerID: 607786

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 10:35

Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 10:35
Electrics and electronics are my worst nightmare, so I bought a 1994 OKA that is about as simple as it can get.
There is one wire that makes it go or stop, and I know where it is :)

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 607793

Reply By: Tim F3 - Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 11:29

Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 11:29
Yes purchased a 100 series factory turbo diesal for towing about a year ago , wife wants me to buy a new cruiser , what for , this is set up how i want it has very little depreciation ( paid $22000 )
A 200 series is more complicated ,more costly , can be harder to repair etc..

But each to their own.
AnswerID: 607796

Reply By: pop2jocem - Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 11:40

Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 11:40
I bought my 1991 HZJ 75 in 1994. I had the cab extended about 400 mm and built a bolt on camper. We have done a fair bit of touring including the CSR in 1998.
When we bought our caravan in 2008?? I found the original HZJ got pretty breathless in head winds or hills. I managed to find a good condition HDT-FT factory turbo engine out of a wrecked 1997 80 series so no electronics. I also fitted a H150 gearbox from a 2003 wrecked turbo diesel ute. A rear diff lock, Endless air style (my own version) compressor and many other mostly custom bits and bobs.

The old girl dragged our van on our 24,000 k lap around the block a couple of years ago, (including the GRR by camper but without van) and hasn't missed a beat.

Like Peter's OKA, one wire makes it go or stop and I also know where that, and just about every other nut and bolt is and what they do.

As the ute is an aging diesel dinosaur and the owner is an aging diesel mechanic (retired) I guess we fit together pretty well. (;=))

Yeah, a new car with all the latest and greatest would be very nice but I am having separation anxiety attacks LOL every time I think about doing the deal.

(;-((

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 607797

Reply By: Batt's - Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 12:37

Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 12:37
Sure did sold a 2001 TD5 disco which had electrical issues like most of them get, cheap factory flares that couldn't handle the Aussie sun front cross member was to low and I bent it on the first outing cheap brake disc that warp in water crossings, sucked sand into the air box when on the beach had to fit a snorkel to stop that it both ashtrays wouldn't stay in broke after a few yrs only kept coins in them it was an expensive waste of money. Bought a 1991 GQ petrol patrol much more reliable and less electronics to play up and better off road just better all round then upgraded to my current 1993 TD42 GQ twin cab 475,000 km and still going.
AnswerID: 607801

Reply By: catmandoo - Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 12:52

Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 12:52
Paul,

I have a 1997 TD42 Nissan Patrol. I have admittedly put in a number of mods (gauges, aftermarket turbo, winch etc......) but in the final analysis I cannot justify the cost of a new vehicle against the added benefit they are supposed to provide over the older vehicles.

Sure, my old girl is a little noisy and not as powerful, but I know she will go and go (because I keep her well maintained) and if something does break or fall off, I have a reasonable chance of being able to fix it or limp to a place where someone else can.

The newer vehicles, as nice as they are, lose too much value too quickly, are costly to maintain and should the electrickery play up.... gawd help you!

AnswerID: 607803

Reply By: Mudripper - Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 12:53

Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 12:53
Won't go anywhere near a new(ish) vehicle. That's why I drive a 1992 factory turbo 80 series. Probably the most complicated electronic component in the vehicle is the UHF!

The 'newest' vehicle I'd ever consider buying is a 100 series.

Cheers
AnswerID: 607804

Reply By: Tony F8 - Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 17:00

Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 17:00
I have a 97 hzj80 diesel na cruiser, why, because it is not electronic and would be called a basic diesel, and thats why it has taken us over this great land of ours, it has done 20 trips to Cape York, does not require super clean diesel, most issues can be fixed with a simple tool kit (not that I have had to) and just keeps going, a few mates have the current model direct injection engines and have to have fitted aftermarket fuel filters for peace of mind for remote travel. The only time my 80 series cruiser goes into limp mode is when I do, simplicity is peace of mind.
AnswerID: 607811

Reply By: Member - mark D18 - Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 18:07

Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 18:07
Paul

I have just upgraded my 1999 Diesel troopcarrier to a 04, 4.2 litre intercooled diesel Patrol. ( now having second thoughts )

Both are old cars theses days , but I am still getting used to the extra power and comfort of the Nissan .

The troop carrier is basic but it has so much storage room that I will miss .

I am going the drive the Nissan for a month than decide which one I will sell on

Cheers

I enjoyed driving the troopie most of the time .
Going to give the Patrol a month to see if I like it more than the Troopie
I can understand why people by new or near new , bit as pop said ,Separation anxiety may get me as well .
AnswerID: 607814

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 18:40

Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 18:40
1983 HJ47 40 series tray.

Apart from price - simple to work on, bullet-proof, can carry weight.
AnswerID: 607817

Reply By: Danny C3 - Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 21:32

Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 21:32
This will go on forever..
When electronic ignition came out. No points etc.. we won't be able to fix em in the bush!!
Unleaded petrol..The world was going to come to an end when this happened..
People live well away from major (or minor) city's with new vehicles.cars,trucks,tractors etc etc and they get by quite well..
go to a pub in the bush and see how many newer 4x4are parked there..
if you want a new car and can afford it ,...buy it and enjoy .
You'll be fine..
Cheers Danny
AnswerID: 607828

Follow Up By: Batt's - Saturday, Jan 21, 2017 at 00:11

Saturday, Jan 21, 2017 at 00:11
Bought 2 new cars 2008 holden Barina plagued with problems front struts pitman arm etc replaced twice in 40,000km. Throttle sensor went mad car peaked revved by itself when sitting idling the cheap front brakes discs were grooved out like a 4WD that spent it's life off road and it was only ever driven on road etc etc etc. Advised to get rid of it from local mechanic sold it at 40,00km. So we traded it in for another brand new piece of cr#p

2011 Hyundai elantra still have it where do I start bearings in front end, cv joints, wrong grade of oil used from factory causing noise in pump etc, steering issues to the value of $1,000 at their cost I have a folder with a lot more that's just part of it so why a new cars so good.

Give me something old that has been made with over engineered parts any day compared to something made of inferior parts built with budget in mind and not driver safety for long term use which today would be no more than a few yrs not built to last like they use to be.

I drive haul trucks for a living and those multi million dollar pieces of cr#p are also plagued with countless electrical problems because they have gone way beyond the KISS principle. It's always good to drive home in my trusty 23yr old 4WD at the end of the day.
FollowupID: 877554

Reply By: splits - Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 21:54

Friday, Jan 20, 2017 at 21:54
Paul

I bought a new Cooper S in 1966 and traded it in 2 1/2 years later on a 1964 Holden with 23.000 miles on it. That little flying shoe box was the only new car that I have ever owned. I could never see the value in new cars.

We owned the Holden for fourteen years and a second hand Peugeot for ten. At one stage I bought a three year old Gemini for my wife. I can't remember how many ks she put on it but years later I converted it myself to straight LP gas and did 60,000 per year for three years commuting to work before selling it.

Our current car is a 2003 Hilux non turbo diesel that we bought in 2007 at an auction. It was a former Navy Defence Industries lease vehicle with 42,000 ks. It now has 156,000 on it and has never missed a beat. It cost $19,900. The NRMA had its value listed at $25,000. A new one at that time was about $36,000.

The electronics in it has never worried me and it has been in some very remote areas.. I remember the days of the old points and coil ignition systems. I worked on the horrible things for many years . The coil was a solid state thing and it was extremely rare to hear of one failing. If they did you could not fix them, it was always a case of repair by replacement. If you carried a spare one in the bush you were ok. If you didn't you were stuck.

The same applies to the current electronics in cars. If you look through the net you will find countless cases of break downs in the bush but try and find one that involved an electronic failure in a late model car. There may be a few there but I have not been able to find one.
AnswerID: 607829

Reply By: Member - ross s - Saturday, Jan 21, 2017 at 05:02

Saturday, Jan 21, 2017 at 05:02
I purchased a new Colorado in 2011, three years later I traded up to a 1999 hzj75 troopy. They couldn't be more different. For all the good points of having a new car ( quieter, fuel efficient, better on road manners ect) I prefer the troopy hands down. Heaps of space taking the family away, awesome off road and overall just more relaxed to drive due to the "we'll get there when we get there" performance of a non turbo engine. Love it!
AnswerID: 607833

Reply By: Michael H9 - Saturday, Jan 21, 2017 at 07:07

Saturday, Jan 21, 2017 at 07:07
It seems lot's of people are really worried about breaking down. I do a lot of kilometres and haven't broken down since the 80's. I used to worry a lot about breaking down back then but not now. My experience says that newer cars are much more reliable than older cars but maybe I'm just lucky? I like to buy either new or up to 30k kilometres and keep them until around 300k kilometres. I get a bit sick of them by then because rubber bits and electrical switches start playing up so I give them away and start again. I've even tried Jeeps and Land Rovers with no regrets....nice cars to drive and capable. I've got no interest in getting back into an old Patrol I owned in the 90's. Good riddance.
I'm due to change again in the next few years and I'm not sure what to try next. I haven't tried an Isuzu yet so maybe it will be an Mux?. It's funny, I've kept the same girl for 45 years and a few million kilometres, (some of her switches are failing but she isn't in danger of being replaced), but I don't get attached to cars.
AnswerID: 607835

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2017 at 17:55

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2017 at 17:55
Hi Michael H9
the son of my primary school mate of 70yrs bought an MUX 2015 and its just gone in to get the second set of front and rear crankshaft seals at 40,000kms as it was losing oil again
and he was told the other day by the service manager at a dealer in perth after complaining bitterly about it
that they have been replacing seals on several it is an inherent problem on the Isuzu ute and m u x both with the same diesel motor
its apparent that the crankshaft journels are not smooth and are wearing the seals out this is not gossip but factual imfo so beware I was thinking of buying 1 myself but have now bauked at the idea
I have decided my 1996 built mazda bravo diesel 2.5 tdi with 152,000km on it is still the best option given it doesn't leak oil and atm is been driven in city traffic in perth by my daughter without any issues
cheers
FollowupID: 877713

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2017 at 19:12

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2017 at 19:12
Geez, thanks for that info. Cheers
FollowupID: 877718

Reply By: Hewy54 - Saturday, Jan 21, 2017 at 08:09

Saturday, Jan 21, 2017 at 08:09
Bought my 80 series 10 years ago as a company car. Son in law and daughter, as partners in the business have had Q7, Range Rovers and X5. When it came time to take one of the 4WD to Coopers Basin on business trip, SIL chose the 80 series.
Have been offered various upgrades over the years, but have chosen to keep the 80 series.
410000 km now so nearly run in.
AnswerID: 607838

Reply By: Paul E6 - Saturday, Jan 21, 2017 at 15:18

Saturday, Jan 21, 2017 at 15:18
Thanks for your input......
I am currently after a new tow vehicle and am having separation anxiety from my old Rodeo!
Although it was the underdog ten years ago, this car has been my favourite. Twice towing around the country, Unfailingly reliable and easy to work on and still in great condition. We bought a van that is now out of its weight range so
we have to update.
I've been looking at many newer cars with more power and feel good to drive, but I can't get past this feeling of scepticism regarding reliability- how can they measure up against my old Ute? How am I going to work on this myself?
It's a form of self torture.
AnswerID: 607852

Follow Up By: splits - Sunday, Jan 22, 2017 at 00:03

Sunday, Jan 22, 2017 at 00:03
Paul

I would assume you would regard your old Rodeo as being a far better engineered and reliable car than a 1950s FJ Holden ute and I would agree with you. The latest utes are that much better again. Car design does not go backwards.

" How am I going to work on this myself?"

The same way you worked on your previous cars. i.e you buy a workshop manual (preferably the genuine factory one) and study it then buy a few extra tools for your kit if necessary and away you go. It is not hard if you try.

As an example: I worked on and off as a mechanic for sixteen years between 1961 and 1982 then spent three years in the service office before leaving the trade permanently.

In the mid 1990s I bought a damaged V6 Commodore and transferred its engine, transmission and many other parts into a home made fibreglass bodied car. I looked at the ignition coil pack and noticed it had ten wires coming out of it. I did not know what they were for and I would imagine it would look like a like a nightmare to someone accustomed to a coil and distributor.

I bought the genuine GMH books covering the engine and the wiring diagrams. Of the ten wires, one was a 12 volt supply, another went to the tachometer, four went straight to the computer while the other four went down over the front of the engine to the crank angle sensor.

The engine book explained how everything worked. It had a trouble shooting diagram and a simple series of tests that you do with a multimetre to test every part of the system.

Repairing everything was no different from and old points system. If a coil, a spark plug, the HT leads, the condensor etc failed the test you replaced them. This Commodore was no different.

Take the time to study any new car that you buy and you won't have any trouble. You will almost certainly find you won't be fixing things as often as you did with your older cars.

FollowupID: 877593

Follow Up By: Paul E6 - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2017 at 18:01

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2017 at 18:01
yes, but my real concern about newer models is rationalisation - ie, cheaper parts to gain financial headway on the competition.
Like the cast iron con rods in former Navara models.
FollowupID: 877714

Reply By: Dean K3 - Saturday, Jan 21, 2017 at 18:35

Saturday, Jan 21, 2017 at 18:35
Any vehicle that has ability to have GVM upgrade is good starting point.

Regrettably my own is one that can't be done (prado 120 series) the 150 prado and Hilux were uprated from 2500 to 2800 -and appears they can't be upgraded either

When i read the towing weights mentioned by alot of manufacturers (4wd) and then compare it against caravans which are getting bigger and typically heavier i'd suggest few would be beyond the GCM allowed when you factor in fuel passengers bullbar dual battery kit twin wheel carrier etc

If i could go back in time ex adf landrover 130 dualcab be my favorite old school in reality not going to happen though
AnswerID: 607858

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Saturday, Jan 21, 2017 at 21:33

Saturday, Jan 21, 2017 at 21:33
No, my new vehicle which is now nearly 5 years old has towed pretty close to 4 times around Australia. Not one problem.

It also goes off road and does the tracks and some reasonably hard ones.

I think many should remember the problems they had from years gone by. If they want any analogies, I would be happy to give them, for many of the top end 4x4's which I have had let me down.
AnswerID: 607860

Reply By: Nutta - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 18:54

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 18:54
I bought a new 2012 dual cab td and was so disappointed with the towing power with 3t on the back i kept it for work and bought a 2003 7.3l v8td f250, absolutely love, will never go back to our pissy little engines for towing!
AnswerID: 607979

Follow Up By: Paul E6 - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 19:28

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 19:28
Yes, but I'd hate to pay for it.
FollowupID: 877745

Follow Up By: Nutta - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 20:48

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2017 at 20:48
Fuel?
12.9 lph coming back from teewah to gold coast, no trailer.
round town, 17-18 lph.
towing 3t 20 ish.
Colorado wasn't a lot better, those little motors work hard pulling 3t around.

If you meant price, 47k with 240k on the clock.

If i had the money I'd by a new dodge ram, but thats in my dreams!
FollowupID: 877747

Sponsored Links