Mt Meharry - still accessible?

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 18, 2017 at 15:16
ThreadID: 134482 Views:4141 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,
Can anyone tell me if you can still access Juna Downs Station and Mt Meharry? I can't find any up to date information online, next stop would be contacting Tom Price Visitor Centre.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe Fury - Sunday, Mar 19, 2017 at 11:20

Sunday, Mar 19, 2017 at 11:20
G'day ShaneP3

Juna Downs Station is still a working/operational cattle station owned by Hamersley Iron/RioTinto Mining.

Access to the summit of Mount Meharry is challenging in a four wheel drive sense, steep loose rocky track surface that has washed out sections, several creek crossings in the lower hills region before the big climb ~ the creek crossings are usually dry but this can change rapidly if a weather change brings rain.

For accurate information on access give the station manager a call on (08) 91898156 ~ there are exploration drillers and various mining/rail crew activities going on along with normal cattle management on the property.

Safe travels : Joe Fury
AnswerID: 609517

Reply By: Blown4by - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 11:29

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 11:29
Yes you can still drive to the summit of Mt Meharry (the highest peak in WA) provided you have the appropriate vehicle to do so. Shortest route is via the Great Northern Highway south of Auski Roadhouse and you have to ignore the 'Authorised Vehicles Only Keep Out' sign on the gate. After that some kind soul has erected small (easily missed) signs at the appropriate turn offs. Be prepared to do a bit of 'rock placement' especially on the way down as some of the 'jump ups' may exceed your departure angle even with the 'nose down'. If you do stop on steep sections ensure all emergency brakes are applied and preferable have someone keep their foot on the service brakes as well and 'rock chock' the wheels as soon as you exit the vehicle. Have a look at Google Earth. Not sure what the Visitors Centre response will be. Many of them discourage tourists from visiting the 'more challenging' sights so locals do not have to effect a possible recovery operation of tourists who are not adequately prepared or who are inexperienced. They may also do this due to possible issues of liability should an accident occur on a 'non-gazetted tourist route' and sometimes it is to protect local tour operators who want to have exclusive rights to certain locations and charge you for the pleasure of visiting them. e.g. Some spots at Coral Bay.
AnswerID: 609599

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 23:12

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 23:12
Yes, and last year I told friends who were travelling in the area about Mount Meharry. They didn't drive right to the summit, but still enjoyed the experience. I can share the link to my description of how to get there and their blog and photos, but privately only due to forum rules.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 609613

Follow Up By: Paul B3 - Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 09:41

Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 09:41
One of the reasons why after 10-12 years of membership I didn't renew last week.

Banjo (WA)
FollowupID: 879520

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 16:33

Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 16:33
I just had a look at the forum rules page, not sure what area to look in for this rule MH ?
Is it something to do with no posting links to other blogs / sites ????

Just asking because I have posted many links to other sites that are relative to a thread topic (like my reply below with link to State 8) and never had any issues or words from admin.
FollowupID: 879532

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 16:49

Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 16:49
Yes, quite OK to post links to other people's Les. Site owners have deemed that for me to post links to my own work is "self promotion" which is a rule of theirs. I am happy to share information when I can in an acceptable way to EO ownership, because it is a privately owned site and they set the rules. I also have a number of Blogs here under My Blogs, including Travelogues plus information Blogs such as on toilet chemicals and safe alternatives, keep warm when camping and staying alive (carbon monoxide poisoning dangers), and what does self containment really mean giving examples of differing campsite requirements and photos of grey water containment methods.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 879534

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 16:56

Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 16:56
Thanks for the rule info MH.
FollowupID: 879535

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 11:23

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 11:23
I'm hoping to bag this peak (by foot) mid 2018, and found a good resource on accessing to the carpark . . . State 8 Mt Meharry

I will likely walk up a different ridge from the base proper.
AnswerID: 609622

Sponsored Links