Camper for family of 5...???

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 09:02
ThreadID: 134510 Views:8739 Replies:19 FollowUps:31
This Thread has been Archived
We are in the market for a camper trailer, and the choices and costs are wide and varied. Not really a fixed budget, open minded at this stage. (within reason)
Willing to pay for good quality and right functions, but not cheap copies or over the top luxury and shiny parts, it is to be used in the outback as a camper trailer after all, not a mobile hotel.
If possible, would prefer not to go to a full size van at one end of the scale, but also not keen on a soft floor and attaching large awnings and/or extra "rooms" to accommodate us all at each and every stop. Off the ground would be good.
We are looking to broaden our camping further west/north and get out and about , so hoping for reasonable to good off road ability and able to free camp for periods of time.
Is there any suggestions or advice from others with 2 adults and 3 children....??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Malcom M - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 10:28

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 10:28
Rather pointless asking us to recommend any of the hundreds of different units available when you don't seem to have much idea as to what you want from it.
Prices will range from $3,500 for a second hand cheapy to near $100,000 for a ridiculously expensive unit. It all depends on what you really want out of it.
Plenty of soft floors that are very quick (under 5 minutes) to set up.
If a soft floor bothers you with add on rooms etc, so will a hard floor. The only difference is the initial main room.
We toured the outback in a cheap Chinese softfloor with two teenage kids and figured out what we liked/hated before buying an expensive softfloor that did what we wanted a bit better but you still need to be prepared to modify it to suit you.

Suggest you attend a 4WD & Camping show and check out the offerings.
Find something that suits you.
Also you can hire camper trailers, Hire one and gain some practical experience in what you like/dislike about it.
Johnnos is one company that does hires with a broad range of styles.

Also look at myswag.org forums. Site dedicated to camper trailers, read some owner comments.
AnswerID: 609561

Reply By: Tracka D8 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 11:03

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 11:03
MalcomM,

"Rather pointless asking"
I thought that was the idea of a forum ?

I didn't realise that you are the chosen representative of all others "us" that are on Explor Oz.

" you clearly have little idea as to what you want from it"
Not only can you assume, but it is "clear" to you on our level of experience from a few lines. We have a pretty good idea what is needed, thanks for asking.

"Prices will range from $3,500 for a second hand cheapy to near $100,000 for a ridiculously expensive unit. It all depends on what you really want out of it.
Suggest you attend a 4WD & Camping show and check out the offerings.
Find something that suits you."
I did not need to be told the prices and types vary, I had already said that, yes been to few caravan/camping shows, that's why I thought it would be good to ask what works for others with families of 5.
"Also you can hire camper trailers, Hire one and see what you like/dislike about it."
Done that, that's why we definitely do not want a soft floor, and you cant always hire the ones that you really want to test.

"Johnnos is one that does hires."
You do know Johnnos folded up late last year?

"Also look at myswag.org forums. Site dedicated to camper trailers, read some owner comments.."
My apologies, I did not realise that Explor Oz is not for people with camper trailers, must only be caravans.

MalcomM ,
When you travel , are you a family of 2 adults and 3 young kids ....??

If you do ?,
then I welcome any advice you may be able to share.

If not ?,
then I would prefer if you could please refrain from participating in this particular forum , as you "clearly have little idea what we want from it" and therefore have no valued input and your points are irrelevant.
The question was directed at,
"suggestions or advice from others with 2 adults and 3 children"
AnswerID: 609563

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:15

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:15
The fact remains that you're likely to get better info on myswag and campertrailers.org (yahoo group and forum).
FollowupID: 879415

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 20:55

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 20:55
If someone doesn't give you the kind of answer you want, wouldn't it be simple civility to say thanks and move on? Or say nothing at all?
FollowupID: 879450

Reply By: RBH - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 11:47

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 11:47
G'day. I agree that it is difficult to respond with much detail given that you are considering so many options, but I'll share our experience. For the record, yes we are 2 adults and 3 kids.
However, we chose a soft floor which you have already ruled out, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt although perhaps the principles will help guide you.

First factor is available space. Hard floor camper trailers (or sleeping off the ground trailers) rarely have enough space for 3 kids and associated extra food, chairs and luggage. To achieve that you may need bunks and/or add-on rooms which negates the perceived benefit of a quick set up of a hard floor trailer.

That moves us to soft floor trailers versus jayco style pop-up, bed-out campers. We travel with friends that have a jayco and it really is hard to beat for many reasons. Unless you plan to give it a really hard time they will allow you to visit many places comfortably.

So why don't we have one? 2 reasons. We do like to travel places that means our trailer cops a hiding over many km of corrugated dirt roads and I'm not sure that would be good for a jayco style van. Secondly, and more importantly when we camp we want to be outside not inside.
Eg. Cooking and eating etc. therefore all the internal features of a jayco would be wasted on us.

Benefits of our setup. Simple, basic and tough. Super fast set up and pack up. Heaps of storage. Great value (second hand). Keep in mind our holidays are touring - not set up in one spot. For example on a seven week trip we only stayed more than one night at two locations. We also only set up the awning once (the luxury of dry inland travel!).

Tips to make it easy.
Make sure everything is a one person job. I set the tent up while my wife opens the kitchen and cooks dinner. I pack up while she sorts breakfast and shuts the kitchen.
Only unpack what you need. Don't store junk on the bed that needs to be moved every time you stop.
We have a fibreglass lid. Check out Jumbuck campers - not made any more, but there are some similar options. We are fully set up by the time others have wrestled off their muddy vinyl cover.
Kids have swags that live on our bed when travelling. Just throw them on the floor when we stop.
Make sure your trailer sits level on the car and can be set up while connected. We travel with friends that have to disconnect to set up and we are normally all done by the time they are disconnected and levelled.
Plus all the little things like not needing to move gas bottles in order to cook and having easy access to water etc. Stuff you may not pick up at a camping show but will figure out is a pain on your first trip.

So perhaps don't rule out a soft floor. In our experience the east coast manufacturers build trailers suited to a week on the beach with lots of features but a more complicated set up - especially awnings. South Australian manufacturers seem more suited to outback touring with quick, simple set-ups. I'm thinking Challenge, Cameron and Adventure.

Good luck. Keep it simple. At the end of the day you need storage, somewhere to cook and somewhere to sleep. It's about the destination and the time together as a family - not the funkiest set-up.

Richard.
AnswerID: 609565

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 11:58

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 11:58
Trak Shak would be well worth a look!

FollowupID: 879414

Follow Up By: Tracka D8 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:15

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:15
Thanks Richard, good to hear how it works for your family.
Great advice and good points there.
The Jumbuck looks like a solid built for purpose camper, it would certainly be a benefit that hard top, pity they are not made anymore.
The closest we have come so far for the functions we were looking for is a camprite.
But with what you said in mind, the camprite may be somewhat limited for storage/space/etc... for all of us.
We tend to travel/overnight for a few days, then pull up for a few days when we find a nice spot.
Preferably no van parks or even NP designated/pay camp grounds where ever we can.
Not my idea of camping listening to others loud music, bottles smashing, and 5" exhaust systems all day and well into the late hours.
And yes I also agree, would prefer function over funky any day!
FollowupID: 879416

Follow Up By: RBH - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:20

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:20
Funny that you mention that Shaker. I was discussing trak shak with my brother in law just last week. He has five kids and is looking at options.

I really like trak shak and think they are very clever. Were they originally an SA design??

2 things that slightly put me off, although not deal breakers.

1. I only like to set up the bare minimum of canvas to keep it simple. With the trak shak, the bare minimum is a lot of canvas.
2. The kitchen ends up inside the tent. I know you can move it, but that then becomes a 2 person job plus gas bottle needs to be unloaded and moved plus you have moved away from your water supply. Then it all needs to be packed away again.

Just my thoughts, but I agree, definitely worth considering. Has the big advantage of no vinyl cover to deal with too. All reports suggest sticking to an older Aussie made version. More recent ones are made overseas I understand.

Richard.
FollowupID: 879417

Follow Up By: Tracka D8 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:30

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:30
Shaker / Richard,
Exact same thoughts we had with the Trakshak, mostly all good, some not so good.
So still looking to see if there are other concepts.

So tell me,
From what I have worked out so far , is a camprite the only one (and not the chinese knock offs) that can sleep 5 with out having to drop canvas/pvc on the ground in some form or another , or is there other designs...??
(without going up to a jayco/coromal type of size)
FollowupID: 879419

Follow Up By: RBH - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:49

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:49
I'm not aware of others, but haven't kept up with recent trends.

Closest alternative might be something like a DOT camper from Drifta but with 2 rooftop tents on it?? Or one on the car and one on the trailer??

We used to have a carry-me-camper (pre kids) and I was a big fan of being off the ground, but have realised now it isn't too bad really. Only rare times that it's a pain in the neck. Case in point: last night I drove an extra 80km in the dark to escape the rain at Tilpa so I didn't have to put my swag in the mud! (Work trip - no trailer or family)

The trade off now is that although we occasionally have to set up or pack up on mud, when it's wet for a few days it is great to have some floor space for the kids to spread out and read or draw or play games. Pros and cons...

Richard.
FollowupID: 879420

Reply By: Member -Manic4wd (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:13

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:13
Hi Tracka
Have a look at these, have a friend with one and he is happy with. He has two girls only though. But you may be able to accommodate a third littly'

http://www.marketdirect.com.au/jackson-forward-fold

Good luck with your search.

cheers
AnswerID: 609566

Follow Up By: gbc - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 18:02

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 18:02
I saw a press release the other day somewhere where mdc are close to releasing a double fold with a similar internal footprint to a jayco windup, but with the kitchen outside. It sounds like an option for a larger family.
We are very happy with our mdc cape York which is perfect for the 4 of us but 5 would be a bridge too far for fast touring.

We had a trakshak for 10 years and they are labour intensive. You could put up the cape York, put on the kids room, and cook dinner before you got the trakshak set up with the kitchen ready to cook.
FollowupID: 879436

Reply By: Member - peter_mc - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 13:29

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 13:29
We've got a Tvan and 3 kids 10/8/5. It works well for us. They are well made, go anywhere and don't fall apart. It's quick to set up - dinner can be on 2 mins after stopping and the beds all ready in 5-10. It has a hard floor so you can stop pretty much anywhere. We had kids sleeping under the main bed but as they have grown we've moved to triple disc-o-bed bunks in the tent part.

The hard shell means there is heaps of internal space so we don't have to stuff sleeping bags/etc every time we pack up - bunks go on one side of the bed, sleeping bags/doona down the end then clothes bags on the bed at the foot. Packing up in the rain isn't so bad because the "lid" gives some cover and the wet canvas doesn't sit on the bed.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 609567

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 13:33

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 13:33
We had an O'Briens Off Road camper for years. It was well built and designed, don't know if they make em anymore but there are second hand ones around.

Pleant of room for stretchers in the enclosed section for the kids.

O'Briens Camper Trailer
AnswerID: 609568

Reply By: swampy - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 15:16

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 15:16
HI
The ezy trail might be worth a look . Check out the Lincoln range dual fold .
Others on hear may have some real life experiences with this model .

Also try looking at Trak shak .
AnswerID: 609574

Reply By: CSeaJay - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 15:59

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 15:59
Tracka
From our experience (family of 5)
Don't put all of your reasons into the basket of being able to sleep all the kids, and end up with a bigger unit with longer setup time etc.
When they are really small they sleep with you, when they are pre-teen they see it as an adventure to set up their own little popup tent next to yours, when they are teens they will insist on their own tent anyway, and when they are late teens they may not accompany you on all the camping trips.
No use you buy a unit with extended set-up time now with kids in mind then after 5 years you yearn for a simpler setup that may be lighter and more robust.
Food for thought, above advice experienced first hand.
AnswerID: 609575

Reply By: phantom - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 16:10

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 16:10
Have a look at Ultimate Campers.
The under bed room for the kids attaches in less that 5 minutes and there is the added benefit of being able to sit /cook inside if the weather turns nasty.
2 adults and 3 kids will fit inside if needed.
Expensive but a great bit of gear.
AnswerID: 609577

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 16:46

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 16:46
Not being able to leave the bed made up might be an issue, even then you have to have special sheets.

FollowupID: 879430

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 19:21

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 19:21
What's this leaving the bed made ???
And the special sheets ?
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 879443

Follow Up By: Shaker - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 19:50

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 19:50
Isn't the mattress in 3 pieces & has to be stored on the floor when packed up. I was also told they have tailor made fitted sheet sets to speed up set up time.

FollowupID: 879445

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 20:46

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 20:46
Yes the mattress is three pieces which together form a king size.
The mattresses come with a zip off cover.
However a king size fitted sheet goes over the mattresses and a king doona and the bed is made.
Packing down the mattresses are dragged on to the lounge one on top of the other.
We have been travelling like for 14 years and my 72 yo. wife manages this ok.

FollowupID: 879448

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 22:41

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 22:41
Hi Pinko

You also did not mention that they are totally 110% dust and waterproof, quick to put up and take down, only have a 40 kg ball weight and come in at a tad over 800 kg.

Because they are so light, you do not even know you are towing them. Then there is the 1100 litre front boot for storage. Built to tackle the worst of any outback and off-road situations.

Yes indeed the Ultimate camper are the Ultimate way to go camping.

We use king size fitted sheets and quilt and it takes no time to set up, so not quite sure who gave you that very missleading information Shaker.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 879476

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 22:48

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 22:48
An Ultimate owner!
FollowupID: 879477

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 07:20

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 07:20
Are you sure it was an Ultimate owner Shaker?

Any Ultimate owner will know the 3 piece mattress sits on top of the lounge and not the floor as you put in print..........

Facts are facts and what you said is totally wrong and misleading !!

Then the special sheets........again totally wrong sorry.

And why am I strongly defending your very incorrect statements..........

because I know what I am talking about and do not put in third party statements.......and I am an Ultimate owner and proud of it.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879484

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 08:46

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 08:46
Sorry if I offended your pride of ownership, but you must realise that some owners can be critical of their possessions. This is from the FAQs on the Ultimate website:-
Do you have to make the bed up when you want to sleep?
Yes you do. With fitted sheets it will take literally a minute or two to have your genuine king-size bed made up. Pop the mattresses into position and throw out the doona and pillows and hey presto, the only king-size sleeping space on the market. It takes a lazy 5 minutes to set-up one of our campers and that includes the bed.

Maybe I didn't quote my friends comments verbatim, but the end fact is the same, the mattresses don't remain on the bed & when travelling the bed has to made up each night.
I didn't know you owned an Ultimate, so please don't take it personally & I apologise to you & any other owners that may have been offended by my observations.

FollowupID: 879486

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 14:39

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 14:39
Hi Shaker

That's the good part about this forum, we all get to express our own thoughts and get to hear the good and bad about certain things.

As for not having the bed set up, it is no big deal for us as it only takes minutes to have it set up. Then on the other hand, last year when we pulled into Farina for a few days, we had a well know and expensive camper in front of us where you pay your camping fees. By the time we had the Ultmate completly set up, and the outside campfire going, the family in the other type of camper will still setting up, still pegging out all the canvas, dragging table, chairs and the like and placing them inside their living area and so it went on for like ever. While we were sitting around the fire and watching the sun set, they were finally finished just as it became dark, so it was in no way a 5 minute complete setup for them.

We all have our own likes and dislikes and that is why we have so many campers on the market, as what may suit one buyer, the next one will dislike.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 879498

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 16:18

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 16:18
As I have said many times, the perfect camper has yet to be designed, I have a Tvan & an AORC Quantum, previously had a Track Eagle, Pioneer Argyle & a Vista RV Crossover, to name a few & they were all very good, but had their shortcomings!

FollowupID: 879504

Reply By: futch - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 16:43

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 16:43
try blue water campers in Pakenham vic. front foldover &plenty of storage..
AnswerID: 609579

Reply By: Tracka D8 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 18:22

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 18:22
OK, I have also had a look at my swag as I was advised earlier in this thread.
A lot of varied info and opinions there.
There is one forum discussion I noticed where it seems a prototype is being built and tested to go to market that sleeps 5, hard floor off the ground , made for families in mind, and seems to have good specs and tick most of our box's. (couldn't find any pic's though)
There are other extras that may be optional that I don't think we really need, pull out hard floor shower, fold out hard floor in outside cooking area, AC, etc... but these can be left off and should be cheaper you would think.?
I will try to enquire after the company to find out more on design, prices, specifics, etc...
See what comes back and let you know.
AnswerID: 609582

Reply By: Member - RobnJane(VIC) - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 19:00

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 19:00
Hi Tracka,
Looking at those features that are important to you it may be worth having a look at Camprite trailers, these are/ were made in WA and as far as I recall sleep up to 6 off the ground. The camper opens like an old tool box and the main double bed slides out over the front boot/drawbar. A kitchen at the back under the awning, and it sounds like a good set up.

There are also Chinese copies so be aware.

We are fans of Tvan, on our second now, and also recommend that as an option. We only deal with one or two grand children on an occasional basis so not really the same as your situation, however the family room tent is as easy to live with as the rest of the trailer, particularly in your case, as the entire space above the bed is available to you as storage, ie 3 camp stretchers etc.

Hope these thoughts are of interest to you.

Rgds,
Rob.
RobnJane

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 609584

Follow Up By: Tracka D8 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 19:16

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 19:16
Thanks Rob, and also peter_mc , obviously both big fans of your Tvans. (bad ryme)
I must admit I had not considered a Tvan for the family, as I guess it comes across as being configured for 2, but the description of the way peter operates his Tvan with 3 kids makes a lot of sense for us as well.
Yes , a camprite was the strongest contender to date.
Similar costs either secondhand or new, for Tvan and camprite as well.
I see there are a few knock offs of a camprite around now, havnt seen any of Tvans though, maybe they have patents.
Do not intend on touching a chinger knock off with a 10 foot pole.... not even with someone elses 10 foot pole.!
FollowupID: 879442

Reply By: R.J.W. - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 07:50

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 07:50
G'day We had exactly the same situation and solved it by buying a wind up camper similar to Jayco finch and the first day of ownership I pulled the sink and stove out of it. Left the fridge in though. We use the camper for sleeping only. This is were it gets a bit weird. I built a complete kitchen, stove, sink, microwave storage for plates tea coffee etc in a ute toolbox the same width as the camper and this is mounted on the rear of the camper . When travelling we can stop and do lunch without entering the camper. Engel is in the tug. When stopped for the night the whole tool box ( with a large lift up lid that acts as a shelter) is on a pivot same as spare wheel carrier and it opens at 180 deg to then be under our awning or in the annex if put up. This works well for us and is fairly quick to set up. Has been to Frazer, Cape York (Frenchmans track) Sorry I'm not smart enough to post any pictures. Have never seen anything similar. Cheers Rob

AnswerID: 609595

Follow Up By: Tracka D8 - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 08:13

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 08:13
Rob,
The description sounds like a good practical set up that just works well and does the job. Would have been good to see a pic.

What brand / type was the wind up you based your set up on ?

Proves you can achieve the same results without having to have a stainless steel monster that slides then unfolds then flips over like an over size swiss army knife, and the extra expense!!
FollowupID: 879453

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 11:58

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 11:58
Its a fun game Tracka and might be worth taking a step back and looking at the thing as a whole Car & Trailer combination.

In our group over the last 18 months 5 different campers have been brought ranging from $5000 special (mine) to a $150,000 Ultimate & and which will do the best job has yet to be determined .

I don't know enough about your scenario to recommend anything so I will describe what I did and why.

We have for years sleep in car and or with tents when kids where involved and this lead us to develop the back of our Nissan patrol as a permanent rainproof Kitchen , so when we stop there is no need to go setup a camper for these functions.
Hence their is no need to setup up a slide out stove and maybe erect an annexe to keep out sun/rain etc.

Our camper is essentially a very simple soft floor unit which requires no power and is used for sleeping , getting out of weather and changing in.
We even had its gas bottle rings and jerry can holders removed during its manufacture , as unnecessary weight.

As a soft floor unit it has more free space than all the other types , indeed you can even fit a garden setting and 6 plastic chairs inside it , so when its time for a party that's where everyone heads.

It takes longer to setup than some of the hybrids although its quicker than the hard floor ezytrailer in the group.
In practise though it takes less total time to pack than most others simply because in a normal camper you have to pack up internals then proceed to pack up the actual camper. In our case these functions can be done in parallel, one at the car and the other folding the camper.

Depending on age 3 kids can sleep across the almost kingsize bed leaving the ground floor as a 2.3m * 2.1m open space.

Packing up wet is not an issue , but I am dreading packing up in mud and have so far avoided that.

Ours has leaf springs which you would think is a bouncy disadvantage however because nothing sensitive is inside the camper its a non issue.

With no electricity and no water etc required the whole unit is simpler tougher and less likely to fail.

The huge under bed storage area is reserved for tarps, foldup chairs , bags of clothes etc.

Unlike almost all campers we had ours made with a long single drawbar which makes access to rear of car much easier and it rarely needs to be uncoupled.

But at the end of the day we wanted it to allow us to go where many campers can not and that meant small outside dimensions (narrower than car) and short overall length.

To cap it off, its weight loaded is only 500 kg , about 1/3 of most others which means it doesn't even need brakes and is only 20% of the cars weight and a total dream to pull, and manhandle.

However I still hate towing anything !

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 609600

Follow Up By: Tracka D8 - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 13:30

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 13:30
Robin,
You sure do travel light, keeping it real in your camp.
Not sure if the females in my family would go back out again if I ran it to basic, and I am very outnumbered as well.
We have a basic set up in the LC just for short trips, or for running out of a base camp. But ours is only really good enough for a couple of days at most (geez kids can eat!) and only in fine weather. Tents and swags.

Was that ultimate really 150K ...??
FollowupID: 879461

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 14:40

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 14:40
Yes the Ultimate Nautilus with special bits is quite a machine and 30 times the cost of my basic camper. In a worse case cross country scenario I could afford to sacrifice mine , but I don't think the Ultimate owner feels the same way.

I'm setting up a comparative test between 5 campers soon (Basic camper, Esytrail hard floor, EcoTourer, Nautilus and Vista).

This will include a sandhill driving test to sort out a few things and I expect some interesting results on the real practicality of some of these things.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 879466

Follow Up By: Tracka D8 - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 15:13

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 15:13
Great idea, would you be open to sharing your results Robin?
If so, I would be very interested, keep me posted.
FollowupID: 879467

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 17:52

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 17:52
Yep , if it all works out I will do a post about it. We have a 4wd property which allows us to do repeatable tests on cars and products over time.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 879470

Reply By: Tracka D8 - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 13:55

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 13:55
So it looks like we might have done a hire deal on a camprite off a brother of a mate for easter, planning on going for a short trip to a few spots on a river system and dam about half a day's drive away.

For the prototype,
From what I have worked out it has been designed and built by a company called REX products, apparently REX is : remote expedition xplorer , and the first model being tested is the F5A.
They are reluctant to release or demonstrate the engineering, plans or computer model at this stage until the prototype has completed trials as there may be some minor changes needed. ( offer to test it for them, very generous of me I thought !! )
Also seem very edgy about who's looking at this stage. Apparently legally advised not to reveal further details until they have the first ones built and released and some marketing done, then they can say who made them first.
Must be the chingers got em wary already !?!
AnswerID: 609602

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mc - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 16:43

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 16:43
Interesting - rexp started a thread asking people about suggestions for a camper trailer to fit 5 on myswag.org - http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=51561.50 - model number F5A.

Within a week of asking his question he was suggesting model numbers and detailed specs. Makes me think his question may have been a fishing expedition for people's ideas rather than a genuine request for help.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 879468

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mc - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 14:11

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 14:11
Tracka - are you hiring a Camprite or a prototype REX F5A at easter?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 879497

Follow Up By: Tracka D8 - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 15:31

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 15:31
Taking a Camprite for a quick trip, mates brother has one up here at the coast that we can hire for a few days (well sort of beer economy kinda deal)
Its our first time with a real camprite.
I hope we play well together!!
Have you got any plans for easter camping to Pete ?
FollowupID: 879499

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mc - Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 09:41

Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 09:41
Staying in a house in the Blue Mountains - the car & camper will be on their way to Perth with friends so we can pick it up and spend 10 weeks in the Pilbara/Kimberley!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 879519

Follow Up By: Tracka D8 - Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 10:50

Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 10:50
Good on ya, That trip in the west should be awesome mate. Enjoy!
FollowupID: 879522

Reply By: Paul and Mel - Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 20:32

Wednesday, Mar 22, 2017 at 20:32
We just bought a Goldstream Wing 3 wind up camper. It sleeps us 5 in comfort. Can sleep up to 8.
AnswerID: 609604

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 06:43

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 06:43
We have had an Ultimate for fourteen years or so.
It has been trouble free other than the usual service stuff. Worn out three sets of tyres and on the second pair of shocks, so lots of kilometres.
My kids are a family of five (6yrs thru to 10yrs) and they sold their swan after a test run in our Ultimate.
Yes they now have an Ultimate and have an 'under bed kids room'.
The bed is king size and the lounge sets up as a full size single if needed.
A 110 lt water tank, an internal kitchen with a table that sets up outside when needed and insect free . An annexe 2.4 x 4.2 or an awning for a quick setup 1.8 x 4.2 supported by fibreglass spars.
Very comfortable and hold their value.
There is an Ultimate owner forum which has years of experiences to go through.

AnswerID: 609614

Follow Up By: Member - peter_mc - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 09:40

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 09:40
There is a forum but it's only for the select few who own an Ultimate... that put me off a bit to be honest - what are they trying to hide?

----

You must own an Ultimate Camper to participate in this forum

To register your ownership details please phone the Ultimate office on 02 4474 4410 or email info@ultimatecampers.com.au with your name, camper number (if known), VIN number, date of purchase and the name of the seller.

Please then complete the form on the Register page to complete forum sign-up.

You must be logged into view and participate in the forum.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 879487

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 10:01

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 10:01
This is correct Peter.
The forum is run by the Manufacturer, there is no advertising nor do they condone it.
Each owner shares modifications they have made, trips done, home services, what to be aware of, wheel offsets to match the tug.
Thousands of pages of stuff.

FollowupID: 879488

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 07:34

Thursday, Mar 23, 2017 at 07:34
I think you need to do a lot more research before you can ask for unsolicited opinions which will be all over the place without a reference for what you want.

There are literally hundreds of campers that meet your spec. From $5k to 100K as someone mentioned. It is a minefield.

Some have higher or lower price
Light weight or tougher
Soft floor hard floor, pop top etc
Kitchen no kitchen, gourmet kitchen.

My suggestion is go to a caravan camping show and make up a list of must have and desirable features. Then go back to the show measuring against that. You should end up with 3 - 4 possible types. Then come back here, with a reference point of the short list and get opinions. Responses that way will be much more meaningful.

AnswerID: 609616

Reply By: Billion Star Camper - Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 17:45

Friday, Mar 24, 2017 at 17:45
Well Tracka D8, you have opened a can of worms. I thought your question was valid. In short we have a Cameron Canvas Camper.Owned it for about ten years. Mainly camp on the river Murray for a few days at a time and it suits that well.. Having shared a soft floor camper, I wanted a hard floor but after looking, settled on the Cameron because it has a quick set up system that works well. (set up and pack up are my main beef with campers). Great kitchen. Good cover that gives you room to store extras. Well built large, front box. We got the large annex which can give you a bit of security as well as shelter. When the two kids got to the teen stage our daughter used a pup tent and son a swag, but the floor of the Cameron has enough room for three kids on the floor for a one night stop. For an extended stay you would need to use the annex, pup tent etc. It makes the kids feel special when they get their own set up.

Drawback for the Cameron. It is a beam axle not an independent system. Most soft floors are beam axle and are much more economical for it.

We have just ordered a hybrid for longer trips and comfort, no kids now and heading for retirement means we will use it a lot more. So the Cameron has to go. Mind you the new one is 4- 5 times the cost of the Cameron.
I am an apprentice retire. Its looking like my most successful career to date.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 609669

Sponsored Links