What is it? Where is it?

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 14:47
ThreadID: 134516 Views:3538 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I encountered this curiosity today.

Some clues.

What is it? A similar one existed on the Tamar River in Tasmania.

Where is it? It was moved to its current location in 2013. It is not in Tasmania.
Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Allan L2 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 14:53

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 14:53
I believe it may be a gauge showing tidle measurement. Saw something similar, think it was at Pt Germein.
AnswerID: 609571

Follow Up By: Member - JOHN C16 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 17:16

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 17:16
Hi Allan,

You are absolutely correct. It is a clock-faced tidal gauge. I had not seen one before which is not surprising since only two ever existed. The information board tells the tale:

Port Germein has many interesting things including a coffee pot lighthouse and an extremely long jetty. The jetty is closed for renovation as the moment.

The pub is also very good,

Cheers, John
FollowupID: 879431

Follow Up By: Member - JOHN C16 - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 17:53

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 17:53
The info board photo may be a bit hard to read so I have posted what it says:

This rare Maritime object was an Illuminated Clock-Faced Tide Guage c1800. Originally located near the entrance to the Port Pirie shipping channel at Cockle Spit.

The stand, known as a "Dolphin" was made from Sugar Gum, a local timber. The platform is Red River Gum.

The original Perspex clock face was back-lit by oil or gas lamps, enabling it to be visible at night and in poor weather.

A series of levers and pulleys, on the outside of the stand, rose and fell with the tide. A chain and wheel mechanism inside the main structure directed the clock's hand to the appropriate channel depth measurement.

The guage was invaluable to ships navigating the channels and shoals into Port Germein. It was removed from its original position in 1989 when new technology made it obsolete. In 2013 it was restored and relocated to its present position.

The only other Clock- Faced Tidal Guage thought to have existed was on the Tamar River in Tasmania.

FollowupID: 879435

Reply By: Member - cherrywipe - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 14:58

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 14:58
Hi John 16,
I think it maybe a Lieometer in the car park,Parliment House Canberra.
Cheers, Cherry.
AnswerID: 609573

Follow Up By: Gramps - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 15:24

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 15:24
Cherry,

It would have blown up a long time ago :)

Regards
FollowupID: 879422

Follow Up By: RMD - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 15:45

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 15:45
I notice it has vents at the side so it may be hot air powered and that turns the dial needle. If you get to vertical then both the PM and Billy Bullshirt are at it again.
FollowupID: 879424

Follow Up By: CSeaJay - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 15:50

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 15:50
I don't think it is a Canberra Lieometer; If it was the hands would be moving so much it would have been used for a fan or turbine.
FollowupID: 879425

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 20:15

Tuesday, Mar 21, 2017 at 20:15
Great post John thankyou. YOu might notice that when you wrote the words for the location (Port Germein) that the text created a link - if you click this, you'll see it takes you to the Places page on ExplorOz for that location and there you will see some photos of Port Germein along with one that includes the tidal gauge. You should add your photos to this page too - you can do this without uploading them again - just click the edit symbol above your photos in your post and the edit window will open like this:-

Click "Advanced" and you'll notice your image is already tagged to the Forum, but when you upload photos or at any time later, you can also tag Place names to photos so simply type the words "Port Germein" and you'll see that as you type a list of matches will start to appear and you can select the correct Place from the list that matches the location of the photo. Be sure to check the Place Type symbol and the State (as of course there can be many places with the same name across the country). if you make a mistake, simply click the red x and it will remove the tag. Easy.

You can then check the Place link and you'll see your photo is now there. Normally the system will put new photos at the front but only if you haven't removed your metadata (ie. the date stored in the image). If it can't find that it might end up at the end. However, there is a reorder button at the end of the photos - so you can move yours to the front if you like. The idea is to have the most recent pictures shown first if possible to keep the Place info looking current/accurate. Hope this is interesting to you and others.

PS: based on your visit, would love to get a description added to this Place please. You should be able to enter that if you are using a desktop computer, iPad or notebook by clicking Description then there should be an edit button. If not, you can enter a comment and I'll move it in there as appropriate. Cheers!

Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 609589

Sponsored Links