back to the down under: destination Darwin to the Kimberley .

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 05:12
ThreadID: 134739 Views:2692 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

we are planning our new adventure in north west australia, in order to begin the journey we need wheels...

we are looking for a 4wd rental - such as our Nissan Patrol, that will be left in Israel ...
We are landing in Darwin at early August, for a trip of 32 days.

we are debating if to return to Darwin, or to finish the trip in Broome.

we intend to be in Kakadoo, Katherine, Gibb road, and explore and camp some of the hikes and parks in between.

so, for starters:
- we are looking for a reliable comfortable 4wd rental in Darwin.

- where should the trip end to your opinion?
Broom or back to ?Darwin?

Thanks
Momy & Yael
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 08:53

Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 08:53
I'm not sure where you would hire one but there are a few places around that hire out fully camping equipped vehicles.

I suspect it would be cheaper to hire/return from/to Darwin. If you drop it off in Broome there will be a one-way hire charge which is often expensive. Plus you'll have to fly back from Broome to Darwin which is $340 per person.

I'd get cracking on finding something or you may find everything is booked out.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 610585

Reply By: Sigmund - Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 10:47

Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 10:47
This Kimberley guide is hard to beat: Birgit's guide

No affiliation.
AnswerID: 610591

Reply By: momyg - Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 21:42

Thursday, Apr 27, 2017 at 21:42
:)
Already bought it !
Thanks
AnswerID: 610624

Reply By: SteveCanuck - Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 04:10

Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 04:10
Hi,
I've used Britz for two past trips and although they tend to be the most expensive they are well equipped and I've never had problems securing permissions to travel on any roads (e.g. Gibb, Gunbarrel, etc.). Their 4wd selection has gone down somewhat since though, and if you want to pick up or drop off in Broome you'll be hit with a premium "remote location" fee, so I'd recommend pick up and returning via Darwin.

The company I'm using for an upcoming trip Travel Car Centre (http://www.travelcar.com.au/) has a place in Darwin, I'd give them a look, prices and selection are good and they've been great with service so far, also other members have backed them up here in the past.

Have a great trip!
-Steve
AnswerID: 610627

Sponsored Links