Update-Waltzing Matilda Centre, Winton.

Submitted: Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 15:58
ThreadID: 134756 Views:3541 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Yesterday, the first sod was turned in the construction of the new Centre.

I went down at 1pm, but the official party was a bit late, so took a couple of photos, met a couple of the construction team and headed off.

A. Gabrielli Constructions, a Townsville firm, have won the contract and are keen to get into it. Construction is planned to be completed by Easter, 2018.

The architect involved also designed the reception centre at Australian Age of Dinosaurs so there is some similarity with both buildings.

The windmill will be moved down to the rear of the site, but unfortunately the tree pictured will be removed.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 10 Moderator

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 18:25

Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 18:25
Thanks for the update Bob,

I am sure the new version will be spectacular in its own right, but it's a shame it will never compare to the original - so much history and memorabilia was destroyed in the fire.

Hopefully the digital memorabilia (photos, voice recordings etc) were backed up and kept off site. It would make setting up displays so much easier. I'm sure a call will go out to the public and they wil respond with suitable material.

Please consider keeping a photo record of the construction and doing a blog for us. You might even consider approaching the developer and getting inside updates.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 610657

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 07:30

Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 07:30
I'll see what I can do over the coming months, Anthony.

Have thought I'd do a progress report, mainly pictorial, to keep everyone "involved". Will be away in June & July, for a few weeks getting my desert fix, but that shouldn't affect my reporting too much.

Thanks,
Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880608

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 21:16

Friday, Apr 28, 2017 at 21:16
Hi Bob

Thanks for that. Fiona saw it also on FB this morning.

Looks like another good excuse to return to your great home town and see the new centre when it opens.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 610665

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 07:47

Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 07:47
Ha ha, no secrets when Facebook is on the job, Stephen.

Along with the new Canyon Walk at AAOD, the new Centre is sure to attract plenty of interested people next year. The opening will be a week or so after the Commonwealth Games I've heard.

I'll have the kettle on when you look like returning, Stephen,

Thanks,
Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880609

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 06:20

Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 06:20
Thanks for the info. Bob,
We have to go back to Winton we lost all the photos we took around there and at the Truck museum last year when some one stole our camera at Mt Isa. We had planned to go back and see the new centre any way but the stolen camera and pictures gives us more of an excuse. Keep us informed we may even see you at the opening.

Cheers
Graham
AnswerID: 610670

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 07:56

Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 07:56
Good to know you'll be back Graham, but a pity about the camera. There's low lifes everywhere unfortunately.

The Truck Museum has added another shed, in the past 12-18 months, to house more of their exhibits, but doubt if too much has changed since you were here.

Yes, might catch up with you Graham, it's a small world.

Thanks,
Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880610

Follow Up By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 08:40

Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 08:40
A couple of good things came from the thieving of the camera.

1. We need to visit Winton again to retake the photos the wife took. We had intended to come back and investigate a bit more of the Dinosaur trail and hopefully see the new centre.

2. Maxine upgraded her camera to some thing similar to mine and now all the Lenses, batteries etc. are compatible.

Don't say too much about the Truck Museum or they might have to justifiably increase their very cheap entrance fee.

Cheers
FollowupID: 880614

Reply By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 09:02

Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 09:02
Funny thing about the Outback. There is always a reason to go back. Some places that you cross off the bucket list just keep on putting themselves back on!

Cheers,

Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 610673

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 12:19

Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 12:19
".................always a reason to go back".

Again, again and again, Kevin! An attraction to some places brings one back, time after time, even if you probably wouldn't live there.

Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880624

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 12:53

Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 12:53
Bob, thanks for the update and pics. It would have been good if they had the room to keep the windpump up the front, they were so important in our rural Australian history.
AnswerID: 610681

Reply By: Idler Chris - Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 21:35

Saturday, Apr 29, 2017 at 21:35
Jeez Bob my desert fix includes Winton. Been to Winton many times and was sadden when I heard about the fire. Very glad to see that it looks like it will be back better than ever. This year leaving home (Melbourne) in mid June and won't be home till late October for my desert fix. This trip covers all states other than Tassie. My travel plans actually put me in Winton twice this year, once at the end of June and again near the end of August. It will be good to see the building progressing. Keep us posted on its progress and if you hear a lot of noise coming from the musical instruments at the times I am there come over and tell me to shut up.
Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 610686

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Apr 30, 2017 at 18:57

Sunday, Apr 30, 2017 at 18:57
Well Chris, you're probably right about Winton. It looked like a desert prior to the winter rain last year.

Okay, if we hear too much noise, we'll be sure to investigate.

Safe travels through your journey this year,

Thanks,
Bob

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 880650

Sponsored Links