Jump starter pack

Submitted: Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 15:47
ThreadID: 134891 Views:7538 Replies:6 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all, I just purchased a jump starter pack on line, which has a 20ah lithium battery pack incorporated in it, they recommend a folding solar panel, which is 12 volt and 8 watts as one method of charging it, I'm wondering what sort of time this would take to charge it. As well as an emergency jump starter, I'm thinking I may be able to run my cpap machine off it, if I do some camping trips on my bike, depending on how long the solar panel takes to charge it.. any input or advice would be a help.. cheers all Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe Fury - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 15:59

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 15:59
G'day Odog.

You don't mention a brand name, but the mini jump starter I have (they say) can easily start a 6 cylinder diesel engine, this is yet to be proven, but it too is a lithium battery unit.
Sadly it can't handle the high ambient temperatures in the Pilbara, I've had it replaced once already because the plastic case housing the lithium battery swelled up enough to look like a Volkswagen Beetle, the replacement one is looking very much VW'ish already, I use it purely for camera and phone charging and for this it's faultless.

Safe travels : Joe Fury
AnswerID: 611184

Follow Up By: skulldug - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 17:13

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 17:13
Joe,

That sounds a bit alarming. Can you post a photo?

Skull
FollowupID: 881216

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 18:23

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 18:23
The one I ordered is an itech9000. I have been looking for a while, and saw a deal on face book, think they are located in Perth.. https://itechworld.com.au/products/jump-starter-900a-20000mah-backup-power-bank-charger-portable-for-car-boat-12v
Hope that works.. Odog
Some people want it to happen, some people wish it could happen, others make it happen!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 881218

Follow Up By: cruza25 - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 18:46

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 18:46
Another good one is the Suaoki G7 on eBay
18000ma 600 a for about $100

Had mine for about 2 years, great for charging phones and iPads .

Starts the Prado as well, when I had a flat battery.

Stays charged @100% for months when not in use.

Not really sure these are the best thing for a cpap machine though.
Maybe a waeco thumper or similar is more suited.

Cheers
Mike
FollowupID: 881219

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 19:52

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 19:52
G'day Mike
Think with 20ah, I should get one night on the cpap, it draws 2.5ah, that's why I was wondering if an 8 watt small solar panel would be enough to charge it during the day.. they have told me it would need 10 hours to fully charge it. So might come up a bit shy maybe? Just looking at options, and a bit of advice.. I have been plugging into the Anderson plug on the back of the car, but see how I go. Cheers Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 881222

Follow Up By: skulldug - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 20:18

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 20:18
Odog,

With my limited knowledge I believe a jump starter pack will be ok to start your truck but won't do what you want.

Im listening to Joe Fury and his almost exploding batteries but at this stage, I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm sure the experts will give advice soon.

Skull

FollowupID: 881226

Follow Up By: Mick O - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 22:16

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 22:16
A second for the Suaoki G7 on eBay. I've had mine for a couple of years and it's been great. It starts the Big V8 diesel donk no problems. It's available for about $84 on ebay (or a bit over 100 with the little compressor attachment).

Cheers

Mick

Suaoki G7 18K milliamp Battery

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 881233

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 22:22

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 22:22
what voltage is the machine - i was put onto a trial machine and when reading the specs runs on 24v dc not 12v so even if i wanted to use it couldn't take it away with me bush. suffice to say cpap isn't for everybody and I'm one of them seems i suffer from claustrophobia and rip bugger off.

on foot note hope the Li-ion unit i purchased recently (over easter at possibly highly inflated price $225 ! ) after original equipment failed me doesn't go same way with expanding batteries
FollowupID: 881234

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 13:29

Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 13:29
G'day skulldog

I actually tracked down the images I took, then sent to the distributor/importer of the 'mini jump starter' that I have, on the visual sight image wise, the importer sent me a brand spanker 'mini jump starter' ~ they did say I could keep the offending swollen unit, but like a good bloke I sent it back to them and as such to this day I've heard absolutely nothing from the importer.

If I can figure out how to shift the image from my computer image files, I will most certainly post it here so those of you who are interested can seen the case deformation, my MineLab detector also runs on Lithium batteries and one particular battery pack ended up swelling and splitting the plastic case, as I say it might just be the high ambient temperatures of the Pilbara, I really don't know?

Safe Travels : Joe Fury
FollowupID: 881264

Reply By: Craig M1 - Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 22:37

Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 22:37
Hi Odog
If you divide your wattage by the voltage you will get the amperage that the solar panel will generate.
Usually solar panels are between 15v to 20v which is then regulated down to your nominal 12v.
So your 8 watt panel will generate around 0.5 amps per hour and that's only when the sun is shining.
So if your battery is dead flat it will take around 40 hours of good sunshine to recharge it.

Cheers Craig
AnswerID: 611199

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 19:32

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 19:32
Thanks Craig, that's what I was looking for, they told me 8 to 10 hours, but thought it was to good to be true.. cheers for that.. Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 881254

Reply By: Member - Roachie - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 16:15

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 16:15
This is the one I bought....a bit exxy but at least I know it has the capacity to start a prime mover, so should handle my 6.6 litre Duramax without too much hassle:
https://www.partsales.com/details/autoelec/new-noco-genius-12-volt-4000-amp-gb-150-portable-lithium-jump-starter-booster-b95770?gclid=CjwKEAjwjPXIBRDhwICRg-DbgHISJADP6QXprb6dnWyNBBuHW8FzflS4Is5pEkQxuuQq8Oi55nRVkBoC9RLw_wcB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsOvksbZLBE
Roachie....Don't follow me....I'm lost!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 611213

Follow Up By: skulldug - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 17:57

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 17:57
Roachie,

That battery pack is expensive but you could save the dollars in fuel costs by just not driving the 6.6 litre Duramax for an hour or so.

:). Skull
FollowupID: 881251

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 19:41

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 19:41
Thanks Roachie, that looks like a serious bit of kit, I couldn't see how many ah the battery was on that one, I went with the other, knowing it has a 20ah battery, and can get me through a night if I'm stuck to run my cpap.. cheers Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 881255

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 20:29

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 20:29
I don't think these Noco units are designed to be used as a power supply for something like a CPAP machine....but okay for charging mobile phones etc.

BTW, the Duramax "only" uses about 14 litres/100 when not towing and around 20 litres/100 with the 3500kg van on the back. Other blokes with Duramaxs report much better economy, like 11l/100....but my truck is HEAVY and has 35s, so it uses more juice, but still very satisfactory.
Roachie....Don't follow me....I'm lost!

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 881257

Reply By: AJC - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 17:14

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 17:14
Hi Odog,
Agree with previous reply about 8 Watt panel - gives under 0.5Amps so about 40 hours to charge your 20Ah pack - that's several summer days in a row. Short answer = not good!
Cpap machines draw 15-35Ah over an 8 hour stint, depending on make, and with humidifier off. (more detail see: http://12voltblog.com.au/how-much-power-does-12volt-stuff-use/). So the 20Ah pack is not really enough - risky.
Cheers,
AJC

AnswerID: 611215

Follow Up By: Member - Odog - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 19:46

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 19:46
Hi AJC, the cpap draws 2.5ah, no humidifier, so thinking if in in a pickle, I could get one night out of it, if I needed to... even if we have a black out at home, it will help.. think I'll pass on the solar panel, thanks for the second opinion, it makes it definitely not worth the coin for the solar blanket.. saves me wasting my money.. much appreciated.. cheers Odog

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 881256

Reply By: Rangiephil - Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 10:10

Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 10:10
I recently assisted a fellow camper whose Cpap machine had cut out after 6 hours or so, even though he had a second 50AH battery.
It turned out his machine used 6.5 amps without dehumidifier and this had completely drained the battery, which was also running an Engel fridge.
Make sure the Cpap rating amp is at 12volts as another poster noted that some are at 24 volts, and in the campers case was watts at 240 volts.
Even so at 2.5 amps you will be pushing it with a 20AH unit.

The camper's solution was another battery pack which he already owned, but I don't think he realized that he would have to drive for about 6-8 hours every day to charge them, or would need very large solar panels.
AnswerID: 611236

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, May 22, 2017 at 23:43

Monday, May 22, 2017 at 23:43
as you have already found out ..... timely charging of the 20Ah pack from an 8 watt panel is not going to happen.

As for running your Cpap ....... I've done the maths for a fellow on a number of Cpaps ...... yeh you will need a bigger battery than you think to get an 8 hour run from your machine.

Get your facts straight about the energy demand of the Cpap ...... I can tell you right now it does not draw 2.5 Amp Hours ...... it might draw 2.5 amps ...... but is this from a 240V supply or from a 12 volt supply.

Is this actual measured draw or what is written on the power pack for the unit.

I'll tell you right now ..... you will need 100Ah absolute minimum .... and at that you will hammer the battery to death pretty fast ....... 200Ah or 2 x N70 batteries ...... AND the ability to recharge them.

AND that will be with a well selected machine that is efficient and low current drain.

Cpap machines my not seem to be high demand ..... but they draw continuous current the entire time they are running.

you must get your facts right for the specific machine and do the math ....... and being optomistic is no help at all.

cheers
AnswerID: 611322

Follow Up By: Member - Blue M - Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 03:45

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 03:45
Bantam, maybe you can help me understand what power usage I am using with my Cpap machine.

When I bought my machine it was supplied with a 60w power supply.

Later I bought a humidifier to fit onto it. It came with it's own power supply and was an 80w.

At the same time I also acquired a 12v lead to go with it as well. I was asked if I was going to use the humidifier with it, and I answered "yes" and was given a rather heavy duty one. The wire on this lead appears to be same size as what is on the 80w 240v power supply.

I have removed the fuse and looked at it and I found etched on one end of it s8A250V.
It is a rather large fuse.

I did a bit of a test with it plugged in to a 12v socket and I got a draw between 1.8 and 2.3a without the humidifier. The test gear I was using was a bit dodgy though, and I wasn't sure what I was doing either.

I do not understand what the full line over the dotted line means between the 12v and the amps on the stickers.

If you could explain what the numbers on the stickers mean in 12v against 240v would be appreciated.

Cheers

FollowupID: 881343

Sponsored Links