Kangroos vs v8s

Submitted: Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 23:42
ThreadID: 134892 Views:3916 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Gday all.
Im not entirely sure how relevant this is however recently i have aquired a 70 series wagon and also a merc gl63 both have a v8 i previously had xr6 and a territory which are obviouly straight sixes i have a block in a semi rural area on the very edge of armadale with loads of kangas. Each time you go down the road you are almost certain to encounter atleast 3 roos however and its often one will jump out in front however with both new cars i have only had one jump out between the two and it makes me wonder do roos hate the drone the v8 makes ?
I have searched around for answers however i have found very little on the subject whichs makes me wonder maybe im just imagning it.
Though i was speaking to a mate of mine who lives about 3 hrs south of perth and he says he sees alot less suicidal skippys with his cruiser in comparison to his previous patrol which seems to agree with my theory.
Has anyone else had a similar experience or am i dreaming or maybe having a lucky run ?
Cheers jed
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rlhydn - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 07:55

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 07:55
I will keep my fingers crossed that this is the case. Prefer my silver 76 to remain kangaroo free.....
AnswerID: 611200

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 10:37

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 10:37
Firstly, I'd say that no one knows what 'Roos will do, in any particular situation. Not even the 'roos themselves!

Had a neighbour years ago when we lived on the Hamilton River south of McKinlay, who reckoned that 'roos were quite often startled by an oncoming vehicle, when the driver backed off on the loud pedal when he spied the 'roos. His theory was that the 'roos got used to the sound of the approaching vehicle, then the sudden change in engine note, and they got a fright.

I've tried this plenty of times and it does work, but there's always one marsupial that suddenly needs to be on the other side of the road, and they're the ones that often cause the most damage.

Jed, maybe the pulsating note of the V8's is a warning to them, whereas the 6's are a steady, constant noise? Dunno what it is, but wherever there's 'roos there's going to be animal strikes.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 611206

Follow Up By: 76lifted - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 10:45

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 10:45
Yeah i agree roos have a mind of their own.

In regards to engine Change i think there may be quite and element of truth to that as i engine brake down the hill we live on they seem to absolutly clay themselves one this morning was running up and down the fence line fairly fast but not hopping across the road, ill try the change if i see one on the open road, but havent for ages since getting the cruiser which isnt a bad thing :)

Maybe im not imagining things :)

Cheers jed
FollowupID: 881242

Follow Up By: Dean K3 - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 11:35

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 11:35
recently was a report by couple of pastoralists/farmers over east who had bit of a scientific study carried out. was on FB or similar uncle posted it

They came up with similar conclusion constant sound is ok sudden changes startles them - not sure i would want to keep zipping along at 100 and have one jump out compared to slowing down to 70-80 and having one jump out

law of physics still states bigger speed bigger the mess after a impact
FollowupID: 881246

Reply By: tim_c - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 14:15

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 14:15
Surely you can apply for some research grant so you could conduct further studies... Then you can publish your findings in a paper entitled something like "How driving a V8 reduces your *impact* on local fauna".

I see a lot more kangaroos when driving my Prado than when driving the X-Trail - I put it down to the fact that the Prado has extra lighting so I can actually see the 'roos.
AnswerID: 611212

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 01:33

Follow Up By: tim_c - Friday, May 26, 2017 at 09:15

Friday, May 26, 2017 at 09:15
That research appears to be addressing a different issue, and in particular seems to address the effectiveness (or otherwise) of a couple of currently commercially available products that are supposed to prevent 'roo-strikes (namely ShuRoo and Roo Guard), and why they are not effective.

Having driven vehicles with and without ShuRoo, I had already observed it's not effective. After reading the critical bits of that report I now know precisely why! Thanks for sharing the link.
FollowupID: 881465

Reply By: Member - Will 76 Series - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 18:33

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 18:33
Jed,
You could be onto something here I drive a 76 series wagon and live in Canberra. In the winter driving south about 20km there are always plenty of roos. The majority of car strikes seem to be from side on and amazingly on smaller cars. I used to drive a Camry and had numerous close calls but in the last few years since having the rumble of the V8 no close calls. Intersting!! Never really thought about just thought it was cruel how little cars seem to get the majority of stikes but my 76 series with the bar work has had no encounters.
AnswerID: 611220

Follow Up By: 76lifted - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 18:47

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 18:47
Will,

Yeah i seem to be experiencing it similarly
Dunno why though hope it keeps up so no costly panel beating :) cept maybe from some 4x4 :)

Cheers jed
FollowupID: 881252

Reply By: Member - Dave63 - Friday, May 19, 2017 at 21:15

Friday, May 19, 2017 at 21:15
Having lived around broken Hill and further down on the murray, I have always subscribed to the practice that if the roo is stationary on the edge if the road, maintain your speed. The change in speed/engine noise startles the roo who will then do anything unpredictable. I was told this by people that lived there all their lives and after a while, trial and error I started to believe it.

If the roo is on the move, good luck, dont lock up the brakes or swerve, be prepared to hit the roo.

I now live near canberra with lots of night driving, north south and east of canberra and over the last 30+ years have never hit a roo front on. I have had a number of roos jump into the side of the cars (including 80 series) but never front on. Lots of roos where I live but my biggest concern is deer and they are fast and unpredictable.

It is unnatural to maintain speed and takes a lot of practice but appears to work, No idea if there is any science behind it but it works for me.

Also have been to too many serious accidents where people have locked up the brakes or swerved for a roo. There is no forgiveness with run off with a lot of rural roads (mainly roll overs).

I have the v8 cruiser with 3 inch exhaust and mud tyres which makes a fair noise. I reckon that noise would scare anything within klms so you may be right.

Dave

AnswerID: 611225

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 06:39

Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 06:39
A large big Red jumped out in front of my 200 from a cutting in the bush while I was doing 100kmph. It did a lot of damage even though I had an ARB bullbar.

The V8 Diesel did nothing to scare that one.
AnswerID: 611258

Sponsored Links