Do Aussie 4.5L 1FZ-FE have EGR systems?

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 20, 2017 at 12:24
ThreadID: 135111 Views:10049 Replies:4 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Good Afternoon, everyone.

Just chasing a bit of information regarding whether Aussie Landcruisers equipped with the 4.5L petrol motors had EGR or not? I read in one place that they apparently don't.

I'm mainly interested in the distributor-less variant found in the 105 series but also curious about the 80 series (and perhaps 75 too).

Thanks for your time.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2017 at 17:53

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2017 at 17:53
Hi my 95 model 4.5 petrol 80 series dosen't have EGR,as probably with all other Petrol Landcrusiers.
EGR is a diesel engine thing.

Rob
I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612007

Follow Up By: BenFraser747 - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2017 at 18:12

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2017 at 18:12
Thanks for that, Rob. By the way, my 91 GXL auto had the 3F-E petrol which I blocked the EGR off on that vehicle. Same with my 2002 3RZ-FE petrol Hilux. I don't think it's all that uncommon?
FollowupID: 882072

Follow Up By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2017 at 18:40

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2017 at 18:40
Gday Rob
I think you will find EGR systems hsve been in petrol engines since the seventies and beyond.
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 882073

Follow Up By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 18:23

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 18:23
Hi Muzbury / Ben

I guess i should have elaborated more!
EGR are not as common in petrol engines as Diesel.
I had a new petrol Daihatus rocky back in 1984 they were fitted with a 2 liter Toyota engine, same as fitted in the petrol Hilux at the time, i remember that used to make a weezing sound at idle from the EGR.
Every car i have owned since hasn't had one, even my current 530i Beemer shopping trolley dosen't have one, but the same cars in the US have EGR fitted, obviously for their laws?
the 1fzfe 4500 Toyota engine in my 80 series are not fitted with an EGR.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 882088

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 19:42

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 19:42
RobS
Have a look for 530i EGR valves. It appears they DO have them and most cars do.
Not sure why you think your car hasn't got one! Is it buried under the masses of piping and other crap on a BMW?
I cannot see how a BMW would be allowed into Australia without an EGR valve as OE equipment.
If they haven't got one, what feature negates the need for one to be present?????????
FollowupID: 882091

Follow Up By: RMD - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 19:49

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 19:49
Not having one in my garage, I googled 1fz-fe EGR valve and, Hey Presto, Toyota fit them so they comply with Oz rules. Did yours fall off?
FollowupID: 882092

Follow Up By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 20:54

Wednesday, Jun 21, 2017 at 20:54
RMD
You are looking at AMERICAN delivered BMW and 80 series Toyota's.
Here in Aus they probably meet the ADRS with out EGR?
I have had just about all of the engine apart on my 03 Beemer . and there is no EGR , There is a factory fitted blanking plate, were one is usually fitted on US models. if i had time i would post pictures.
ps no more crap and pipes on a BMW engine to any other car or 4wd i have worked on.actually quite simple and well thought out.
And again with my 95 1fzfe EGR didn't fall off, please check your googling ,and make sure you are not looking at AMERICAN info.
I can assure you there is no plumbing from the exhaust manifold etc for an EGR.
Cheer Rob
but i will stand corrected

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 882093

Follow Up By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 17:13

Saturday, Jun 24, 2017 at 17:13
Hey RMD

Just to make sure we are both on the same page, i took some pictures today.
Of the inlet manifold next to the throttle body, were the EGR is fitted on American delivered 1fzfe engines, And hey PRESTO mine hasn't got one, just two bolt holes,and the manifold isn't even machined to suit.i guess if it did fall off there would be a big hole!

Here is a picture of my BMW with a factory fitted blanking cover,were the EGR is fitted to American delivered vehicles.Australian and Euro spec BMW don't have EGR.
Please note that if one were fitted, it would not buried in the bowels of the engine.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 882161

Reply By: Dean K3 - Tuesday, Jun 20, 2017 at 20:00

Tuesday, Jun 20, 2017 at 20:00
All modern vehicles in australia will have ERG fitted regardless of petrol or diesel.

refer to link below

http://www.autozone.com/repairguides/Toyota-Pick-ups-Land-Cruiser-4Runner-1989-1996/EMISSION-CONTROLS/Exhaust-Gas-Recirculation-EGR-System/_/P-0900c15280060d36

AnswerID: 612009

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Jun 22, 2017 at 01:04

Thursday, Jun 22, 2017 at 01:04
Dean, you have linked to an American website, which lists American 1FZ-FE engines.
One has to be careful of different engine and emission specifications between countries.
The word "pick-ups" should have alerted you to what you were looking at, as well as the "About Autozone" website link ...

http://www.autozoneinc.com/about_us/index.html

However, the Australian-spec 1FZ-FE engines do also have EGR, as it appears that this was standard fit, worldwide.

The 1FZ-FE first appeared in 1993 in the FZJ80. This was an OBD-I (on-board engine diagnosis) vehicle/engine.
The OBD-1 systems did not use a diagnostic scanner, you got DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) via lights or dash readouts, and by pressing various buttons in the correct sequence.

In 1995, the FZJ80 with the 1FZ-FE was changed to the OBD-II spec system. The engine design changes were minor, to accommodate the OBD-II system, mostly wiring and OBD connector changes, and standardisation to enable the use of diagnostic scanners.

The 1FZ-FE engine was upgraded to distributorless ignition (direct coil ignition or TDI - Toyota Direct Ignition) in 1998, and the engine was dropped from the Australian Toyota model line in 2004.

Here is a link to the Toyota release notes on the new 1FZ-FE engine, as outlined in an SAE technical paper in March 1993 (the engine was released in Nov 1992).

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjl_L21j8_UAhUDW5QKHRprA1cQFgg2MAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum.ih8mud.com%2Fattachments%2F930876-pdf.1445272%2F&usg=AFQjCNHOMeEu1lJpqH2gac1A6Q4xuIzSPg

EGR is simply a method of reducing emissions (specifically, Nitrous Oxides) to lower levels, to meet specific emission standards or laws.
EGR reduces high combustion temperatures that would normally create high levels of nitrous oxides.

EGR is not used on every engine produced since the 1970's. It is used as a method of meeting emissions laws when the engine cannot meet the emissions standards, by other engine design features or methods.

From the 1970's to the late 1980's, EGR was commonly used on petrol engines. Then it was dropped on many petrol engines in the 1990's, as major engine design improvements did away with the need to fit EGR.

Since 2010, EGR has again been commonly fitted to petrol engines as a method of improving fuel economy.
The fitting of EGR to the latest downsized, direct-injected petrol engines can reduce pumping losses, improve combustion efficiency, improve knock tolerance, and lessen the need for fuel enrichment.

A number of engines can meet emission levels standards without EGR - it all depends on the specific engine design.
Modern engine designs with advanced, variable timing and valve systems, as well as multiple valve heads, and advanced combustion chamber and piston and ring design, means that engine designers can have other methods of meeting emission levels, without fitting EGR.
However, finding engines that do not have EGR in recent years is becoming rarer.

EGR is commonly fitted to diesel engines, because diesels major exhaust pollutant is nitrous oxides, and there is very little choice (since about year 2000) for diesel engine manufacturers to lower nitrous oxide emissions, without fitting EGR.

However, a couple of diesel manufacturers have managed to avoid EGR. I seem to recall that Lombardini is one.
These manufacturers often choose a specific engine design, or use exhaust gas treatment using the likes of urea (AdBlue).
This emission control method is called SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) and is used by most heavy vehicle engine manufacturers producing diesel engines after 2010.
SCR is also used in some diesel car models produced by Mercedes, BMW and VW.
AnswerID: 612029

Follow Up By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 22, 2017 at 17:28

Thursday, Jun 22, 2017 at 17:28
Hi Ron
My 95 80 series dosen't have the OBD 11 plug ,even My sons 2003 Hilux dosn't, they only have the Toyota plug for their diagnostic tool.
Obd11 only became mandatory in AUS in 2006,
OBD11

the US became OBD11 mandatory 1996
and Europe in 2003.
(OBD11 compliant cars in AUS)

Not sure were you found the info, but EGR definatley not a world wide fit on all 80 series models .

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 882106

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Jun 22, 2017 at 21:31

Thursday, Jun 22, 2017 at 21:31
Thanks for correcting my information, Rob. I gathered my information from the Toyota factory release notes on the 1Z-FE, as advised in the link to the SAE technical paper, in the previous post.

This paper made it appear that all 1FZ-FE's had EGR. It appears now that those factory release notes were aimed specifically at the American market.

I have since found that there are no less than SIX, 1FZ-FE specification engines, for different markets.

These six specs are;

Code A: North American market
Code K: Canadian market
Code Q: Australian market
Code V: Middle East market
Code W: Europe market
Code Y: Japanese market

It appears that the EGR system was deleted from the Canadian, Middle East, and Australian market, 1FZ-FE engines.
Your Australian engine EGR advice has been verified by two Aussies who posted on the (U.S.) IH8MUD forum, as indicated below.

Attention Aussie 80 series owners

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 882112

Follow Up By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 16:58

Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 16:58
Hi Ron
Thanks for clarifying that, i have owned my 80 series for 13 years,and thought i knew it inside out,and do all the spanner work.
Actually went had had a look to make sure it hadn't grown an EGR .

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 882125

Reply By: BenFraser747 - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 10:50

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 10:50
Thanks for the responses and photos, gentleman. It was confusing for a while there but we got to the answer in the end :)

Cheers :thumbsup:
AnswerID: 612133

Sponsored Links