Trek Comment: The Tanami Track

Just been across bothe the Plenty and Tanami (east to west). If anyone interested, east end of road pretty good and loved our overnight stop at Tilmouth Well (fair diesel price too) but once you cross into WA (they must be ashamed of it as the "welcome" sign is missing) the track conditions, including corrugstions and pot holes/bull dust, are far worse - though just tolerable for a decent off-road van and vehicle, with lowered pressures and speeds.
Anyone considering including Wolf Creek should be aware that the corrigations are horrendous on the 20km track in - an interesting sight but only worth it if you are keen to see an impressive meteorite crater; there are more picturesque sights to be seen.
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 10:05

Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 10:05
It all varies according to the last rain, maintenance grade and tourist horde. And one 50 k horror stretch is often succeeded by something like (real) highway.

FWIW Yuendumu locals say the WA side of the Tanami is usually better than the NT.
AnswerID: 612052

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 22:57

Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 22:57
The NT side does get some maintenance. Most of the WA seems not to. Yes, the road into Wolf Creek was badly corrugated when we went.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 612091

Reply By: Life Member TourBoy, Bundaberg - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 12:37

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 12:37
Did the plenty / Tanami in June and the NT side was quite good but once we crossed the border into WA it was the worst "maintained" road in the country. The road into Wolf Creek had some corrugations but after the Tanami it was just a nice massage.
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612135

Sponsored Links