Place Comment: Wolfe Creek Meteorite Crater National Park

We did Wolfe Creek about a week ago and have to say we awarded them the Gold award for worst corrugations we have encountered on this trip so far (from Melbourne to Boulia and then the Plenty and Tanami to the Kimberley). They are relatively deep and widely spaced so at their worst need to be driven at around 10kph - least ways we did towing our 3 ton off-road caravan. We had the van's tyres down to around 20psi (on road around 40) and dropped the car by around 15 to 20 psi from on-road pressures (or around 10 below moderate track pressures) . We passed various bits that had fallen off vehicles, including an expensive complete new light unit from someone's flood/spotlight. Interesting if you want to see an impressive meteorite crater but there are better, more picturesque and more accessible sights to be seen...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sigmund - Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 09:58

Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 09:58
It's close enough to the highway so too many people do it without airing down.
AnswerID: 612051

Reply By: Member - mechpete - Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 13:27

Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 13:27
yes a pretty ordinary track in back lucky its a short distance
but well worth a look ,The ground must have shook when it hit LOL
cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 612058

Reply By: GG7777 - Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 16:07

Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 16:07
We were there in 2013 at start of CSR trip and on what I expect to be similar corrugations two ultralight aeroplanes flying around Aus landed along that #^!*ing rough track. Service crew in F-trucks and trailers met them and they camped the night.We were lucky enough to get some magic photos of them in the sunset flying very low over the crater. I can only imagine that the ride in the sky was better than the landing.
Murray
AnswerID: 612065

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 22:10

Friday, Jun 23, 2017 at 22:10
Nothing has changed in 11 years or more then. It was a crap track back then and probably hasn't seen a grader since lol.

Purnululu to Wolfe Creek

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 612087

Reply By: Dean K3 - Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 10:57

Sunday, Jun 25, 2017 at 10:57
Not surprised at all was rough as buggery 2014 despite being aired down to 25 psi.

Tanami isn't much better do recall a group of vehicles arriving soon after i did, they overtook me as i sussed out the old homestead, one of them was a range rover with 20 inch wheels low profile tyres travelled whole of tanami track (highway?)

They muttered about track being bit rough, i smirked as i knew rest of way into highway wasn't going to be much better more rocky but still rough.

Passed them again later on as i headed back to hall creek -planned to stay out there but wind picked up as did clouds and didn't like idea of being stuck with no comms to say this where I am - one day get back there and have night or two there.
AnswerID: 612134

Sponsored Links