It's the small things that count.

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 09, 2017 at 21:30
ThreadID: 135375 Views:3924 Replies:3 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Greeting All

Like many of us that travel our great Nation, I use and rely on real time mapping as in OziExplorer.

During the last few days, we headed up the Tanami Road, and found it no problems at all and was quite comfortable to sit on speeds between 80 - 90 kph.

Those that have driven this road will know that it is just about impossible to pull over and have a great camp. The first night we were around 160 kilometres north of Mount Doreen and we're starting to get concerned about where we camp.

I run 2 moving maps, my HN7 with David's and Michelle EOTopo and a small notebook using Hema 150k map. At this time of day, the Hema showed nothing, just the Tanami Road, where as the EOTopo showed and up and coming gravel pit.

As they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained, so we followed a small track off into the scrub. Around 400 metres in, we came to the most perfect camp, being flat, small timber nearby for our campfire, and best of all.....clean. Every other wayside stop was full of utter filth, toilet paper, babies nappies, countless dozens of cans, bottles, old oil containers and human shit....from so called outback travellers.

Our next great camp thanks to EOTopo was one of the best on the whole Tanami..Sturt Creek which was just perfect.

So without those special icons of David's map, it would have been hopeless to find these special spots to camp.

So a very special thanks to David and Michelle for producing this most valuable travelling aid and for anyone thinking about this map, I can give it the thumbs up and recommend it to any outback traveller.

Cheers from a warm and friendly Halls Creek

Stephen and Fiona
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 8 Moderator

Reply By: Sigmund - Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 07:11

Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 07:11
Stephen, good to hear you found some nice spots.

WikiCamps lists spots folk have found to camp on the Tanami.
AnswerID: 612965

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 07:37

Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 07:37
Hi Sigmund

To be honest, we have WikiCamps, but did not think of looking on that for a camp.

As I stated above, the places or roadside stops where you can pull over are nothing more than a rubbish dump and is disgusting to think this is the way people treat our outback and then people complain why areas are locked up and all camping prohibited.

It was great to have David's map to show these special places and to be able to camp in a clean and very inviting locations.

We are off today to do the full length of the Duncan Road, so lets see what that brings.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 883320

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 07:51

Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 07:51
Hi Stephen,

If you have time maybe have look for Austral Pillar and Kimberley Obelisk. I looked for the obelisk recently but I looked on the southern side of Bobtail Creek. I think it may be on the north side in hindsight.

Flora Valley is a nice spot too.

Enjoy your time up there.
Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 883322

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 13:51

Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 13:51
I drove it last month and actually only recollect one formal rest stop and that was spotless. I imagine you're thinking of the truck bays that don't have bins?

The camp I chose from Wiki was off the road with no rubbish unless you count a dead ute!
FollowupID: 883326

Follow Up By: Member - nick b boab - Friday, Aug 11, 2017 at 10:48

Friday, Aug 11, 2017 at 10:48
G'Day Stephen looks like your into another great adventure .
I like to think of these icons on the EO maps as our'S .... as a group of members etc that up load to exploroz website for others to use . the more good reliable information the better .
Though i think your remark......you were starting to worry where you would camp my be a bit exaggerated as you were in NT thousands of square miles of places to camp just need to use your initiative . LOL
good travels
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 883348

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Friday, Aug 11, 2017 at 11:38

Friday, Aug 11, 2017 at 11:38
Yeah. There's a long stretch of the Tanami with hard Spinifex though that you don't want to pull into.
FollowupID: 883350

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Aug 11, 2017 at 22:29

Friday, Aug 11, 2017 at 22:29
Hi Nick

With very thick spinifex and other taller vegetation all the way, it was very hard to find a nice cleared area to camp.

The old gravel pit was perfect compared to camping in other not so inviting places.

The Duncan Road was similar, but speaking to another traveller earlier in the day, he directed us to this very special location.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 883357

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Aug 12, 2017 at 08:13

Saturday, Aug 12, 2017 at 08:13
Hey Alan

I never received your reply until we arrived at Kununurra.....and now I am really kicking myself.

I have been GPS waypointing most named creeks and features along the Duncan Road to add to the Places database..

And when I have checked my book that I write all my waypoint details in.....guest what, Bobtail Creek and the Cattle yards a little further north are two such places.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 883360

Follow Up By: equinox - Saturday, Aug 12, 2017 at 12:28

Saturday, Aug 12, 2017 at 12:28
Hi Stephen,
It's always the way, you'll have to go back now (same as me) :-)
The lake comes all the way up the creek a bit further to the west.

I couldn't get too close as it started to get a bit soft underfoot.

Plenty to see out there - stay safe
Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 883368

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 07:40

Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 07:40
Hi Stephen,

I too use the EOTopo map exclusively as I find it suitable for all my traveling needs.
On our recent "half lap" trip through the Pilbara, Kimberley and NT, I didn't need to resort to any of the Hema regional maps available on the HN6 I use.

Thumbs up from me too!
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 612966

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 07:50

Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 07:50
Hi Bill

Another great feature of David's map is the colour shading and the more detailed side roads, just as in the original NatMap series.

Once again Hema does not show them on its 150k map, yet David has retained them and I hope that his next update does not remove these very special features.

Hitting the dirt again today from Halls Creek and looking forward to see what this iconic road and scenery is like.

The biggest culture shock up here is the weather, left Clare with daytime temperatures around 9° and up here not its 33°, and even at 9.30 pm, its still a perfect 27°

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 883321

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 17:12

Thursday, Aug 10, 2017 at 17:12
Thanks Stephen. We're very glad to hear that the EOTopo map is exceeding your expectations :)
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 612970

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Aug 11, 2017 at 21:47

Friday, Aug 11, 2017 at 21:47
Hi Michelle

It is great and those little features and make it so much more special.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 883356

Sponsored Links