Blog Review: Yerranderie - Whispers from the past...

My Blog Rating: My Rating 5/5

Baz
Good blog
Baz in the good old days you could drive in from Kanangra Walls rd. (before dingo dell got its name) thru the kowmung river up to the Kowmung Caves then on to Yerranderie (camp in the church or back at the edge of the runway back near the police station there was tank water there) pay a token payment to Miss lu??? Her brother use to sell ex gov 4x4 on Parramatta rd. five dock? Sydney to visit her town & come back via Limeburner’s fire trail to Wombean caves then home use to be a good trip.
There were No homes near the runway then & one of the 1st homes was a big wig from the Hanna bar bearer cartoons group
I don't know now but back in the eighties once a year the water board would let you drive in on there private rd from the back of Camden to visit any relatives buried in the cemetery it was about a 35mlie/60klm drive & a lot of it sealed, I went to Yerranderie & helped there a lot in the seventies & eighties & in the sixties the drive in the way you would have come & left by there was no right of passage & you had to cross these 2 brothers land & they would not let you & would take pot shots around you to stop you traveling thru if they caught you
Did you notice if the mines below the police station were still open? Have not been back for years or since the National parks took over after the Owner Miss L??? passed away & left it in trust to them
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Thursday, Oct 12, 2017 at 07:13

Thursday, Oct 12, 2017 at 07:13
Hi Duck

Thanks for your comprehensive notes, it was a great read.

It is a great area, and whilst not too far from Sydney as the crow flies, it is a great drive to get there.

As far as I am aware the water board no longer provide any access via Camden, but I will stand corrected on that. Fortunately, nobody was taking pot shots at us on the way in, as you describe happened at times in the sixties.

I think the lady you are referring to is Valerie Lhuede, and once again I will stand corrected but I think she is still alive and lives in Sydney. The camp area around the old police station is well formed, has pit toilets and is free, as opposed to “private town” which is around $15 per night. It is a large area and I have seen it quite full at times, and empty at other times.

There are some mines around the old police station, but I don’t think they are accessible.

A highlight, as I indicated in my blog, is to walk up to Bartlett’s Peak and just take in the beauty of the surrounding area.

Once again, thanks for your interest and the additional insights you have been able to provide.

Cheers, Baz
AnswerID: 614283

Follow Up By: duck - Thursday, Oct 12, 2017 at 14:10

Thursday, Oct 12, 2017 at 14:10
Baz
Thanks for the reply.
It is/was a great drive in, your correct her name was Valerie Lhuede & her brother had Lhuede ex government vehicles on Parramatta Rd, I was informed that Valerie had passed if not she would have some age on now, I don't know if I had climbed Bartlett’s Peak & the one we climbed/walked was to the peak behind the town, I have been lucky to also fly in on several visits & that really gives you an idea how close to Sydney you are as soon as the plane climbs you can see the suburbs & on a clear day Sydney

You have got me I will travel out there in the next few weeks
FollowupID: 884874

Sponsored Links