Blue mountains

We are planing to have a few days stop at the blue mountains. Will be visiting jenolan caves, scenic world....any other places needs to be seen.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 08:02

Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 08:02
There is plenty to see in the Blue Mountains, which is a large area.

If you are into hiking or walking there are many walks of varying degrees of difficulty, from easy to hard, that showcase much of the natural beauty of the region, which is a world heritage area.

I won't list them all here, but you can visit the National Parks website and take a look at it if that is of interest to you.

Otherwise, there are towns further afield like Oberon, which is not far from Jenolan Caves, or Lithgow, which has a small arms museum that is worth a visit if firearms interest you.

Cheer's Baz - The Landy
AnswerID: 614528

Reply By: Michael H9 - Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 08:18

Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 08:18
I reckon the lookouts at Blackheath are more spectacular than the famous one at Echo Point in Katoomba, which is still great by the way. I live in the Blue Mountains and never tire of the scenery. You have to pick your day, there are day trips up here every day and sometimes all you see is mist and fog. I've wondered what the tour operators say in such cases?
If you are a bush walker then there are too many to list. If you are a 4wder, then 99% of the tracks are on the western side stretching from around Wombeyan Caves to up past Capertee and most points in between. Jenolan Caves is definitely worth a visit.
AnswerID: 614529

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 09:16

Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 09:16
The museum at the Lithgow Small Arms factory is excellent.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 614531

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 17:32

Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 17:32
You could easily fill two days in the Lithgow area. See this link.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 885168

Reply By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 09:35

Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 09:35
Mount Tomah Botanic Gardens.....and you dont have to be a plant or flower freak to enjoy the beauty!
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 614532

Reply By: pmacks - Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 12:39

Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 12:39
well for me the one place you should not miss is the Hawksberry lookout on the road that runs from Springwood to Richmond I cant think what its called could even be the Hawksberry rd ? it has an unbelievable view of the entire Sydney basin and you can just sit there for hours drinking it all in.
to be honest i think it is one of the best spots in Sydney in general not just the Blue Mountains
Peter
AnswerID: 614534

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 17:25

Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 17:25
It's the Hawkesbury Rd at the Springwood end and Springwood Rd at the Yarramundi end. A good day round trip would be Mt Tomah Bot Gardens in the morning with lunch then proceed east. Kurrajong Heights is the better lookout over Sydney. Descend Bellbird Hill then back up the Hawkesbury lookout and back to base.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 885166

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 17:31

Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 17:31
Yes, I'll add a vote for the lookout at Kurrajong Heights, it's a cracker. I'll also add a vote for Mt Tomah Botanical Gardens.
FollowupID: 885167

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 18:52

Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 18:52
If you are into the early explorers then spend some time at Mt York. There are 5 roads down from the top. The first one was Cox's Road (1815,) you can walk it right down Comet Inn in the Hartley Valey if you have the time. If you don't have the inclination to do so then just walk the first few hundred kilometres to see what the early travellers had to contend with.

These were followed up with Lawsons Long Alley and Lockyers' Pass (never opened.)

Those road fell into disuse when Victoria Pass opened in 1832. This is still in use today. However in the early days of motor vehicles they were not powerful enough to cope with a hill that horse and bullock teams could cope with so Berghofer's Pass was constructed nex to it. It is worth walking down that road to view Mitchell's Bridge as built in 1832.

A summary of these is in this link.
PeterD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 614542

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 19:32

Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 19:32
Go out to Bathurst and do a lap of the Mountain.

Stick to the speed limit though, it's a public road.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 614543

Reply By: Member - brucek - Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 22:20

Monday, Oct 23, 2017 at 22:20
Mayfield Garden near Oberon.
And if you can spare the time, Yerranderie.
AnswerID: 614544

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Tuesday, Oct 24, 2017 at 06:35

Tuesday, Oct 24, 2017 at 06:35
On the way to Jenolan Mick, worth stopping at The Lolly Bug in Little Hartley, for a feed, coffee and a HUGE selection of lollies, sweets & other lovely stuff that we should eat in moderation.

Not far past Jenolan is Kanangra Walls. Top mountain scenery, and site where part of the film "Jedda" was filmed.

Would endorse a visit to Mt Tomah gardens.....well worth it!

If Bleakheath is turning on a clear, sunny day, then visit Govetts Leap Lookout. Definitely a view into God's "living room".......

A drive down to Megalong Valley, to the Tea Rooms, would be worth a drive. Beautiful drive, though a winding road through Blackheath Glen before you get to the Tea Rooms.

Scenic Railway is good, with opportunity to see some old coal mines at the bottom.

Plenty to see in the lower mountains too.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 614548

Reply By: Rangiephil - Tuesday, Oct 24, 2017 at 08:43

Tuesday, Oct 24, 2017 at 08:43
If you are into bushwalking the The Grand Canyon at Blackheath is IMHO one of the most beautiful walks in Australia if not the World, as attested by a friend who is a walking freak and has walked in most parts of the World. Lyre birds live there and give a display if you are lucky.

It is at the end of Blackheath nearest to Katoomba near Evans Lookout.
AnswerID: 614553

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Oct 24, 2017 at 14:44

Tuesday, Oct 24, 2017 at 14:44
The Blue Mountains region has so much more to offer if you are active and adventurous and love to immerse yourself in nature. The best walks are down into the Blue Gum forest and Grose Valley from either Blackheath, or you can actually walk in from the other side of the valley.

Sure there are lookouts but you don't really get to experience the real Blue Mountains until you get down into the valley and get away from the tourists that flock to the lookouts as that's as far as their cars/buses can go.

Here's a few tips for getting the most from a visit without actually doing any of the "major" long walks... that will at least give you a good experience of the real Blue Mountains.

There is a fabulous little hike to the cliffs directly opposite Blackheath off the Bells Line of Road that many people don't know about, its called the Walls Lookout Walking Trail. What you are looking at from here is a vantage point most tourists never see. All free and only a short, fairly easy hike of 1.2km to the edge of the cliffs. No guard rails though so be careful.

On the other side of the valley in Blackheath, there is the Cliff Top walk from Govett's Leap Lookout (a very busy lookout on a weekend) to Evans lookout, or the Bridal Veil Falls walk (although most people doing this were really struggling on the steep uphill return but it is really worth it when you get to the falls. Alternatively from Govett's Leap you can walk down into the valley. Very challenging with lots of steps but spectacular if you can manage it.

The Grand Canyon Track starts from Evans lookout and is the pick of the walks if you only have time to do 1 major walk - about 5 hours and doable for most people without breaking their spirit like Govetts Leap.

The other must-do is Pulpit Rock but again not too many people know about this. Probably the highlight of the trip for my kids and really very easy! Great bang for effort!

Other good spots are the Glow Worm Tunnels at Newnes, and in Wentworth Falls - the National Pass walking trail is the one to do but avoid busy periods. Just spoils it.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 614558

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 24, 2017 at 16:42

Tuesday, Oct 24, 2017 at 16:42
It’s a little bit further away from where you are going and probably worthy of a separate trip, Dunns Swamp is a beautiful place.

Dunns Swamp

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 614560

Sponsored Links