roof topper or porta-bote

Submitted: Friday, Jan 12, 2018 at 20:48
ThreadID: 136087 Views:3132 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
has anyone moved from roof topper to porta-bote type set up or visa versa looking at the pros and cons of either
cheers Warren
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 06:45

Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 06:45
We started out with a tinny, then bought a slightly bigger one and eventually went to a porta-bote which we kept for 20 odd years.
It really depends on what your interests are, I'm not a fisherman so the boat was just for exploring as we tend to travel not sit in one place for extended periods.
Initially like most it was just the two of us, then three kids making five which is fine for a 12 foot tinny while they are small.
As they get older it tended to be just two or three and carrying all the gear for five plus boat in or on a troopy didn't work, so the porta-bote wasn't used a huge amount but more local stuff.
The best thing about the portabote was it sat on the roof racks not causing much drag and wasn't in the way, just have to find somewhere for the seats and gear inside or in a rack bag beside the bote on the roof. I've even seen them strapped to the side of a motorhome! They are also very tough and stand up to lots of rocks and snags in the water when exploring.
Now we're back to two we have an inflatable kayak in the boot for the exploring trips and two normal kayaks for the local stuff.
If you are into more of the fishing and are likely to stay in one place for extended periods rather than travelling then a tinny might be a better option but will need consideration of drag/increased fuel and weight on the vehicle, plenty are already over without a boat!
AnswerID: 616076

Follow Up By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 13:03

Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 13:03
thanks for reply Peter ,into a bit of both fishing and exploring have a 370 traveller with 8 hp motor i could take. 100 td landcruiser and jurgens explorer van .no way to put on roof or fold up trailer yet [its not my boat]the 8hp is just not powerful enough to get on a plain. got a few months to sort things out but told clients that i will be not around between the 7th to 12th months of this year as heading north for a while,
cheers warren
FollowupID: 887351

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 14:31

Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 14:31
Warren
We found up in the tropics that the combo of tide and wind plus currents could easily overpower a 12ft boat with an 8hp. The second tinny we had in the early 90's was a 14ft with a 15hp and it was better but borderline for carrying on the roof of a troopy. Our portabote was an early one with a 4hp limit so was useless in any sort of sea as it would be going backward, very stable though and we mainly used it inland on rivers and lakes.
For going offshore you really need a deep hull and plenty of grunt, one trip at Coburg Peninsula one of the other campers had a big 16ft deep hulled tinny with a 45hp and he got swamped in a little blow, the locals reckoned we were mad going out in a 12 footer and given that how many big crocs are around these days that is probably pretty true.
FollowupID: 887354

Follow Up By: Member - warren G (VIC) - Monday, Jan 15, 2018 at 19:45

Monday, Jan 15, 2018 at 19:45
would not be going offshore in a tinny and the increase in the croc population is always a concern and not to be ignored, but the are plenty of places around aus that have great water ways and no crocs having said that this trip is to the gulf. cheers warren
FollowupID: 887395

Reply By: Povertypete - Monday, Jan 15, 2018 at 15:24

Monday, Jan 15, 2018 at 15:24
Warren have a look at Quick bote. In my opinion as an owner, they are brilliant. Folding to similar size as porta bote but MUCH more stable. One can stand up in them and throw a castnet and they dont flex like the others. Can take a decent size motor and ride beautifully.
Peter
AnswerID: 616108

Reply By: swampy - Tuesday, Jan 16, 2018 at 00:53

Tuesday, Jan 16, 2018 at 00:53
HI I
Looked into porta boat
Great on the USA sights And best info
BUT
The ozzy reseller is way steep many many thousands .
Cheap tinny or quality used unit was a better $$ choice.

Considering Craigs list 500-900 $$ used
AnswerID: 616121

Reply By: Member - silkwood - Thursday, Jan 18, 2018 at 19:37

Thursday, Jan 18, 2018 at 19:37
Been in plenty of tinnies but never owned one. Had a Porta-Bote for years. Used it in a variety of settings, including numerous times in croc territory. The good: I like the way it flexes. If you bump against a sang it will bend, rather than tip (I've been in a couple of tinnies where each time you bump against something you imagine it's a croc- and it might be- and the panic induced by the bow heading skywards is not pleasant!).

It can get away with a much smaller motor- the 12" is supposed to have a max of 5hp, though most run to 8. I found the five fine for rivers and estuaries, picked my times offshore.

Takes a little while to put together, best if you are in one place for a few days. It was wonderful at Pennyfather estuary on the cape, so long as you as comfortable around a few decent sized crocs! We fished and explored and had a ball.

You can make some improvements (I knocked up a wider bow plate, made the ride much more pleasant and added space for a net to hold the anchor and rope- as well as a set of wheels for launching).

They are ideal for getting into awkward places.

I'd happily buy another (if it wasn't for the 5.8m Whittley in the front garden!) but those quick boats look pretty good also.

Cheers,
Mark
AnswerID: 616181

Sponsored Links