Anne Beadell Highway

Has any members been along the Anne Beadell track from West to East??
I am finding the "permit" applications totally confusing, so how did any travelling members process their forms to comply with dates??
Because we are cruising at a safe rate, it may take us a shorter or longer time to get to estimated destinations. I will ring and talk to the (4) permit centres to see if I can get some sense out of them, but if anyone has experience of the process, I would appreciate knowing how you did it.. We are planning on travelling in mid April, but the forms seem to want me to give precise entry and exit dates. Any pointers will be appreciated please. Skip
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 08:19

Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 08:19
All you can do is give it your best estimate.
It is a ridiculous requirement, Outback travel isn’t & never has been, an exact science, there are far too many variables, such as weather, mechanical, health etc etc!
Good luck, it’s a great drive!

AnswerID: 616077

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 08:41

Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 08:41
Skip,

The restrictive time frames for Transit Permits is my big gripe. All you can do is make an estimate of your travel dates then simply go ahead within a reasonable time. At least you will have tried and will have a permit.

Very few people are ever asked to show their permits and many travel without them. If challenged, do not get stroppy, just behave confused about dates and say "sorry about that".

However, it may be unwise to travel on the section of the Anne Beadell within the Woomera Prohibited Area exclusion zone during the closed period.

Does anyone know if they place "Closed Road" signs at that time?

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 616078

Follow Up By: Member - JOHN C16 - Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 13:00

Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 13:00
Hi Allan,

They may do more than use “Closed Road” signs when the WPA exclusion zone is closed.Woomera informed me that sentries would be stationed at Voakes Hill Corner during a planned closure in August 2012. Vehicles would be prevented from travelling east and directed to return west on the ABH or to proceed south to Cook and the Nullarbor. Did they actually do that? I don’t know as I deferred the trip.

In April 2017 I drove up through Cook and east on the ABH. I was surprised by an entry in the visitors book at Voakes Hill Corner.

The entry reads: RAAF Woomera Prohibited Area Compliance Team. Checking permits. 20/2/17

The RAAF obviously take their permit system seriously. Fortunately getting one is easy. It’s on-line, free and fast.

Cheers, John
FollowupID: 887349

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 13:38

Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 13:38
Thanks John, I knew that the RAAF took the closures seriously but having avoided the AB Hwy at closure times I wasn't sure how they policed it.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 887353

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 22:18

Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 22:18
Yes they definitely police it. Friends were held up for a couple of days in 2017.

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 887363

Follow Up By: Mick O - Monday, Jan 15, 2018 at 15:42

Monday, Jan 15, 2018 at 15:42
Late Feb, strewth it would still be warm out there. I can't imagine there would have been too many tourists about with it nudging 40C in the waterbag!
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 887385

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 15, 2018 at 19:00

Monday, Jan 15, 2018 at 19:00
Hi Mick

When it is real "Secret Squirrel Business" it is not just the Anne Beadell Highway that they send out the security guys to monitor.

One of the station managers that I kept in regular contact with from out that way ( Commonwealth Hill Station ) who is now out in Station Country, East of Burra, was telling me that during one very secret set of tests during November, they had security guys all along the Dog Fence Track ( the one I took you on )

One one guy was by himself stationed at Dingo Flat Gate for the duration of the test just in case anyone was travelling in that area of the WPA.

Simon was telling me it was well over 45 every day and not even the Station guys were allowed to go through the gate.

So you never know when and where you could expect to find their security team.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 887390

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Jan 15, 2018 at 19:24

Monday, Jan 15, 2018 at 19:24
Stephen, They (with a capital 'T') seem to take security more seriously these days than they did during the Cold War whilst I was at Woomera. You did not dare to 'look sideways' and could not even speak certain words off-range in the Village yet security seemed to be focused on the Range-head, Tech-area and Village with zilch further out. Don't remember them catching any Russian spies though.

Mind you, having taken the oath to the Official Secrets Act, I am probably committing an offence to even speak of it now!

Of course, in reality, probably much of the current closures and sentries are to ensure public safety from military activities.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 887393

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 11:21

Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 11:21
We have been overdue on nearly every permit we had had and never been a problem.
AnswerID: 616082

Reply By: OBJ - Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 12:07

Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 12:07
I have no objection to applying for permits as I think it assists them in getting various form of funding based on use. I do not stick rigidly to the time frame, and I am sure that if you have shown good intent in applying for a permit and are generally following the instructions, a day or two here or there will not give anyone too much heartburn.

Having said that, I was a day out at one National Park last year and the "diligent" Ranger noted it and wanted another me to pay for another day. I told him I had come in a day late and could not advise of the change because they did not have phone nor wifi / internet access for me to do so. He said I needed to pay and I refused and told him I'd see him in court when the notice arrived. So far, no notice. How much will money will they spend to recover $12?

Seems we live in the age of stupidity where practical measure and common sense are not the norm. Ahh .. such is life :)
AnswerID: 616083

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 14:16

Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 14:16
We just made the best estimate with our AB travel dates last year and had no problems - there was no checking.
I think this "best endeavours" approach generally safe around the country in remote areas (obviously different for places like Kakadu) - so long as you can show a permit, the date issue will not be a problem unless you get a particularly officious ranger.
The only time you need to be precise on the Anne Beadell is, as others have said above, concerning the Woomera prohibited area where closures appear to be strictly enforced.
Cheers
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 616085

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 17:34

Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 17:34
Hi Ernie, some excellent advice has already been provided. There is a section on the Explor Oz website that has road closure dates, just check the menu. Our experience with permits on the Great Central Road, was to give them an estimate of your entry & exit dates, and the permit will be issued accordingly. If you are late, as long as you have your permit, there will not be an issue.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 616090

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 20:01

Sunday, Jan 14, 2018 at 20:01
I've put in applications most years since 2002 - just give approximate dates, and then do your trip and enjoy!
AnswerID: 616091

Reply By: Member - maxum II - Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 08:39

Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 08:39
Yes also confused at permit application.
Help. SA Parks web site states desert pass for Tallaringa Conservation Park is optional but proceeds to list fees.
Do I have to buy a $160 desert pass to travel along Anne B Hwy through Tallaringa CP?

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 617095

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 09:47

Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 09:47
No, all you need is a permit from the Dept of Defence.
FollowupID: 888578

Sponsored Links