Adelaide to Alice to Uluru to Dalhousie

Submitted: Monday, Feb 19, 2018 at 21:13
ThreadID: 136293 Views:4786 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys, last year we did a trip to Lawn Hill National Park, was awesome, this year heading up the centre. Havent been through here before and any great places, or hints where or where not to stay would be great. Towing a 18ft Coromal Offroad Van, have two weeks off work. Suggestions of places to stay along the way, we are self contained, please help. Leaving Adelaide on 15th June.

Cheers and thanks so much in advance your comments last year were invaluable !
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Feb 20, 2018 at 11:21

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2018 at 11:21
Hi goldlink

First of all there are countless attractions to see heading up to the centre and seeing that you have not been that way before, this will be a good way to see many great features and will give you the best possible dirt road travelling conditions.

A Beginners Taste and some great dirt roads.

Depending which way you want to travel, via the beautiful Clare Valley or up the main highway to Port Augusta, head up via Hawker, Leigh Creek, (MUST stop over at Farina and taste the great delights of the underground bakery) to Marree.

From Marree head up the Oodnadatta Track with many great stops along the way and arrive at William Creek. From William Creek take the road to Anna Creek Station and through to Coober Pedy. Make sure that you have a look around the town as there is far more to see than you thing.

The next MUST when heading north on the black top it the detour out to the Breakaways. From there head north up through Marla and when you cross the state border, take the first dirt road on your left signposted to Mulga Park. This is a beautiful drive and will bring you the back way near Mount Connor.

Do the usual Rock thing, and then head to Kings Canyon, with the rim walk another MUST. From Kings Canyon, the Mereenie Loop through to the Western Macs and then head for the Alice for the usual sites in the Red Centre. At this stage you will be running out of time, so you will have a nice easy drive back down the Stuart Highway and with good travelling conditions, you can be back in Adelaide 2 days after leaving Alice Springs.

I will now post this, but in the mean time, put together some images of my intended route.

Happy Planning.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 617058

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Feb 20, 2018 at 13:43

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2018 at 13:43
Back Again

These images below will show you what there is to see along the way.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 888530

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Tuesday, Feb 20, 2018 at 13:10

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2018 at 13:10
Goldlink, agree with Stephen and his route. However, if your van is truely Off Road, you could continue up the Oodnadatta past William Creek. There is the Algebuckina Rail Bridge over the Neale River, this was part of the Old Ghan Railway Line.

Then on to Oodnadatta and the Pink Roadhouse.

Then 17 kms past Oodnadatta take a right turn to Hamilton Station. Take a right at Hamilton Station and on to Dalhousie Springs, great spot for a dip in the thermal springs. Then travel to Mt. Dare, fuel, restaurant, bar, camp ground with shower & toilet.

From Mt. Dare, on to the Abminga Ruins, part of the Old Ghan Railway. Then on to Finke. From Finke you can travel up the Old Ghan Railway line adjacent to the Finke Desert Race track. At Maryvale Station, take the road on the left out to Chambers Pillar. There is one steep rocky climb and a few sand dunes, but the destination is worth the effort.Bush campground with toilet.

From Chambers Pillar back to the Old Ghan Line turning left and head north continuing to Alice Springs.

For the return journey, head west along the Namatjira Way through the West MacDonnell Ranges stopping at all the gorges along the way. Keep going to Gosses Bluff, a meteorite crater. Then take the Mereenie Loop Rd. through to Kings Canyon. From Kings Canyon on to Uluru Kata Tjuta.

From Uluru back along the Lassiter Highway to Curtin Springs, then approx. 11 kms past Curtin Springs take a right on to the Mulga Park Rd. Turn right at Mulga Park and head for the Stuart Highway.

Turn right at the Stuart Highway heading south, you can then do Coober Pedy & The Breakaways. Allow a full day for Coober Pedy & the Breakaways.

South from Coober Pedy, you can visit Woomera before heading south again to Port Augusta and on to Adelaide.

You may struggle to do all this in two weeks, if you do not think this is possible, then instead of going to Hamilton Station etc. continue up the Oodnadatta to Marla, and revert back to Stephen's route. You can still do Coober Pedy on your way home.

Macca.

Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 617064

Follow Up By: KevinE - Tuesday, Feb 20, 2018 at 21:43

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2018 at 21:43
Great post Macca!

We did a similar trip in 2012. We included Palm Valley into our itinerary, but not the Mulga Park Road. We also took in the Painted Desert & Lambert's Centre.

We also did the big loop from Mt Dare, through Eringa to get to Dalhousie & back to Mt Dare on that trip.

I'm very glad we did it, but on reflection it was too much in 2 weeks.

Personally, Kings Canyon still remains my biggest disappointment while traveling the outback. Maybe I've seen too many gorges lol!

To the OP, it's going to be a buzz, no matter what you do, or don't get to see. Enjoy it! Even the Stuart Hwy is exciting if you haven't done it before.

FollowupID: 888541

Follow Up By: Michael H9 - Tuesday, Feb 20, 2018 at 23:40

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2018 at 23:40
I agree about Kings Canyon, I've been several times and it's left me cold. Palm Valley on the other hand is definately worth the visit.
FollowupID: 888543

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 14:15

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 14:15
Kevin, did you walk the rim, or just walk up the creek inside the canyon? The Rim Walk is impressive. Also doing the rim walk allows you to go up into the canyon upstream of the rock fall and into the pool. I can't remember the name of it, Garden of Eden springs to mind, but I could be wrong.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 888559

Follow Up By: KevinE - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 20:06

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 20:06
Yup, did the full rim walk Macca (yes, the Garden of Eden is correct) Not in a hurry to go back.
FollowupID: 888567

Reply By: goldlink - Tuesday, Feb 20, 2018 at 19:51

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2018 at 19:51
Thanks everyone for your great advice. Will sit down with the map and work out which way and how much time we can spend at different locations. Really appreciate your help, make the planning of the trip a lot easier.
Cheers
Leanne
AnswerID: 617066

Follow Up By: Member - nick b boab - Tuesday, Feb 20, 2018 at 20:27

Tuesday, Feb 20, 2018 at 20:27
when in alice you might like a quiet c/park . there are two i think about 10ks south /west of the town , can be a bit noisy in town at times :-(
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 888538

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 13:23

Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 13:23
Goldlink, If you use Google Maps to calculate travel times, be aware that it uses worst case scenario when calculating times on gravel roads.

The Oodnadatta Track is a case in point. According to Google Maps, it will take you 26 hours of driving time to drive from Maree to Marla, a distance of 618 kms. If my maths is correct, this equates to approx. 24 kph. Having travelled this road several times towing a 2.5 T Off Road van, we have found that most of the time you can comfortably sit on 80 kph without any trouble. We have done Hawker to Marla in 2 days, stopping at all the attractions along the way, including going out to the camp ground at Halligans Bay on Lake Eyre for our overnight stop.

Of course you must always drive to the conditions, after heavy rain, the Oodnadatta does become a little more difficult.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 888584

Sponsored Links