Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 08:59
ThreadID: 136297 Views:4067 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
How bad are they in these months?
Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:53

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:53
We worked up there for a few weeks in May June and 6 months during the wet. Flies didn't seem to be a big problem, a few around but probably no worse than central NSW.
AnswerID: 617076

Reply By: RobAck - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 11:10

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 11:10
It's been the biggest wet in many years so expect plenty of flies and mozzies et al. There will certainly be more standing water than there has been for quite a while and the Pentacost crossing may require a bonnet bra and some care if it is carrying a lot of water.

May is still pretty warm compared to Jul-Aug

Rob
AnswerID: 617078

Reply By: Candace S. - Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 03:47

Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 03:47
;-)

Just in case...
AnswerID: 617092

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 15:32

Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 15:32
The best fly strategy in Outback Oz is to assume they will be bad.....then you at least have a chance to be pleasantly surprised :-). We always pack the plenty of the various goods to cater for that....fly repellent (I prefer cream types), fly nets for your hat etc....maybe a sizeable mozzie net or two, if tenting. We always have plenty of the burning mozzie repellent sticks and coils (cheap as) too. Just back on flies.....I think it was the CSIRO some years back explained how hard it was to predict what they might be like....expected plagues fail to materialise and then at other times they flourish in huge numbers (and....it's apparently got a lot to do with vegetation types as well....not just moisture). I thought animal dung played a big part, but apparently regions with no stock can still be horrendous). We have had "fun with flies" (not) on many trips but dropping in to the Breakaways once near Coober Pedy, for a coffee, may have been the worst....we were literally attacked and could not remain out of the car !
AnswerID: 617102

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 19:37

Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 19:37
After the huge amount of rains the Kimberley region has had this wet season, flies will be the least of your worries.

Mozzies will be out in the millions, and their associated diseases will almost certainly ramp up.

Ross River (RRV), Barmah Forest (BFV), Murray Valley encephalitis (MVE) and Kunjin (KUN) viruses will definitely be around.
You don't want to catch any of the above, they are absolutely debilitating.

Not to mention the weird places that crocs will now be found in - any waterhole within the region will now be suss.

Take the necessary precautions, and make sure others are aware of the potential problems in the Kimberley.

Cheers, Ron
AnswerID: 617145

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 19:57

Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 19:57
Worked up there over 40 years ago, Crusier, and don't recall flies being annoying. Certainly not like the Channel Country flies, that are in huge numbers, and very friendly ie. annoying.

We did have blow flies "blowing" damp woollen saddle cloths, usually overnight, but doubt if you'll have that problem.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 617147

Reply By: Member - Robyn R4 - Saturday, Feb 24, 2018 at 09:24

Saturday, Feb 24, 2018 at 09:24
We were up there in June 2015 and were stunned by the lack of flies (we ate lunch on the Tanami one day on the journey up and swatted one fly the whole time). Our other days along the Gibb were very similar.
I wish you the same luck.
:)
AnswerID: 617159

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Sunday, Feb 25, 2018 at 11:36

Sunday, Feb 25, 2018 at 11:36
Many thanks for everyone's relies.
I have all the precaution fly and mozzie gear needed, Flinders Ranges gets bad once mid to late September hits, cant cook or eat outside during the day, even worse if they had a wet Autumn/Winter.
I was worried after the recent record rainfall in the Kimberleys that it would bread the insects. I should be through by early to mid June and in Darwin for a few days then hit the Kakadu.
Thanks again.
AnswerID: 617179

Sponsored Links