Telstra $10 Accelerate Plan (Satphone) Warning!

I just received my February account for my post-paid $10 Mobile Accelerate Plan, to my surprise the account was for around $49.00, even though the satphone is sitting in a cupboard at home & has been for around 6 months.
I had noticed a couple of times that it had been marginally more than $10, but put it down to monthly adjustments & for the sake of a few dollars I couldn’t be bothered querying it.
On enquiring with Telstra to my amazement & the Telstra rep’s it appears that when anybody from overseas tries to call the number, even Tele-marketers calling random numbers, a charge is applied to the account whether the phone is answered or not.
Needless to say, I cancelled the account, so I am now looking for another suitable Iridium casual plan.

Back Expand Un-Read 3 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 17:09

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 17:09
Hello

Has always been the case when using "normal" telstra sims in satphones (well at least the various $10 plans) - once the sim card is registered as being in a sat phone (i.e. when you insert sim and turn sat phone on) you will get slugged for all incoming calls and texts even if phone is turned off (and even if you take the SIM out of the phone).

What you need to do when not using the sat phone is to place the SIM back in a "normal" phone and turn it on so that it is then registered on the normal network again - you will then not be charged for incoming calls/texts....but wait there's more - this needs to be done at the start of the billing period before you make any outgoing calls (not halfway through a billing period when you have made some calls) otherwise you will get charged twice for all calls you have made on the Sat Phone as they get registered as being made on both networks as separate entities.

Sounds complicated but if you only use it a few months of the year its not a drama (for me at least.). I leave the sim in an old iPhone and only put in the Sat Phone when considered necessary.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 617082

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 17:26

Wednesday, Feb 21, 2018 at 17:26
I have had the same. Its not just overseas calls, Any wrong number caller. will drive up the costs.

As Greg says you can put the sim in a normal phone, Though this is harder now with different SIM sizes,

The other way is to go online or call Telstra and trun international roaming off. Then turn it on again when you go away.
AnswerID: 617084

Reply By: Baz - The Landy - Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 09:28

Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 09:28
Selling it and hiring one when you need it might be a (better) cheaper option for you based on the fact it has been sitting in the cupboard for 6 months.

Otherwise have a look at Pivotal, as I've outlined previously in another thread.

Cheers, Baz - The landy
AnswerID: 617097

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 09:40

Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 09:40
I think it would be counter productive to sell it & hire one, when I already own it.
I will explore the options, I checked Pivotel & also TR Telecom that seemed reasonable.
I have taken the phone on many trips & never turned it on, I put it in the same category as a PLB or EPIRB, which I also wouldn’t hire.
In an emergency the phone would be first to be used, PLB as an absolute last resort.

FollowupID: 888577

Reply By: Nacho - Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 16:09

Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 16:09
Yes that happened to me a while back..forgot to take the sim out.
No worries as Telstra could clearly see my monthly bill pattern and refunded me the amount, particularly as all of the calls were from the same number and only a few seconds.
AnswerID: 617103

Follow Up By: Member - Trouper (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 18:14

Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 18:14
Yes me too, forgot to take sim out . My bill though was around $150 I nearly had a heart attack. But after ringing Telstra and being very polite they happily did a refund on the spot. I them changes the sim to a $20 plan unlimited calls and Text (no data but I don't need it) with the best coverage and I now use that in my daily use phone and insert it into the Iridium Satphone as needed.....All good for the last 18 months
FollowupID: 888587

Follow Up By: Zippo - Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 11:36

Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 11:36
This hasn't happened to me (yet), but decided to check mine. Had to pop the SIM out to micro to fit the only spare cellphone here, and a marketing SMS from Telstra appears dated the previous day. Fitting it back in the 9555 with an adapter is a bit fiddly though.
Checked the account on-line. No spurious charges.

[Edit:] Further to my comment above, there were things I DID make sure of when I first set this service up - NO DIVERTS, and NO VOICEMAIL.

If the unit is switched off, the caller receives the RVA "the mobile you are calling is either switched off or not in a mobile service area" and is NOT offered the leave-a-message option.

If while switched on (and registered on the network) the mobile is called and does not answer, it does NOT divert to anything - it just rings out.

Maybe this is why I haven't attracted any extra charges over the years.
FollowupID: 888604

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 16:42

Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 16:42
I have no voicemail or divert set on any of my phones.
FollowupID: 888619

Follow Up By: Zippo - Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 18:57

Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 18:57
The thing is, those are usually enabled by default. So you need to proactively disable them. And then verify that those settings have applied correctly.
FollowupID: 888626

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 19:21

Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 19:21
I did that, you get a much longer ring time with it all off.

FollowupID: 888630

Reply By: Sapper D - Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 19:36

Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 19:36
Hi Shaker......Had the same problem although my satphone had been on the shelf for twelve months, with both the battery and sim card removed.----like you I continued getting small additions to my $10 plan and didn't bother about it until it got a bit too continuous to avoid. My local Telstra agent tried several times to solve the issue but to no avail--(the Telstra HQ kept saying they'd fix it but alas you can guess the result)----so my local lass in the shop simply changed my phone number, and so far all seems to be fixed------------PS..I hope you still retain your $10 account, as I believe they won't offer them anymore......................... .....Cheers...SapperD
AnswerID: 617110

Reply By: RussellFJ - Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 21:34

Thursday, Feb 22, 2018 at 21:34
You could do what I do and just hire a "sim card only" ,for the month your off the grid. I use Landwide ,he will post a sim card out ,just before I leave.

AnswerID: 617115

Sponsored Links