Place Comment: Southern Cloud Memorial Viewpoint

The location shown on EOTopo is incorrect. There is nothing there. The correct location is at Bald Hill, some km to the south at 35 56 48S 148 04 57E in decimal -35.946940, 148.082710. I have not checked in the 2018 release of EOTopo.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 18:46

Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 18:46
Thanks Frank, I've just updated this Place position now so it is correct in Places on the website, correct in 2018 EOTopo online, and correct in the Places database that ExplorOz Traveller app users have access to (app users can press Update in Data Manager to refresh their Places database to sync with the live server).
The raster maps of course don't reflect live edits such as this. But each time we do a new product release we take a fresh data extraction from Places so it would occur then.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 617141

Reply By: RMD - Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 21:08

Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 21:08
Is that the coordinates for the view point or the actual site of the crash. Quite a few years ago a mate and I went into the scrub on motorbikes after reading a report in a Snowy Mt info book, and then walked to find the crash site. Although 10 metres from the tail fin I couldn’t see it but he could, and we saw what was left. Not much, as most parts had been removed. I did record the position on an old gps but don’t have that info near at present.
I do know it is about 11 km from Cabramurra alpine township.
AnswerID: 617150

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 24, 2018 at 13:53

Saturday, Feb 24, 2018 at 13:53
For the viewpoint, RMD.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 888671

Reply By: Erad - Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 21:52

Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 21:52
To access the crash site, you go to a turnoff about 6 km from Tooma Dam East towards Cabramurra. It is the only road to the left . This is the site of an old works camp and airstrip - Ogilvies camp. There is a locked gate. About 5 km walk, you come to the end of the road at Deep Creek Dam. This is an intake into the Tooma- Tumut tunnel. There is an aqueduct feeding the dam and a pipeline bench leads off to the North west. Only about 250 m or so up this track , and the wreck is just above the track. The walking is easy because it is on a formed access road, although the last bit (on the aqueduct bench) is a bit rougher. Very remote area. If you go in there, please leave everything as you find it because it is a piece of history worth preserving in situ.

According to my old Snowy survey maps, the crash site is at 35 Degrees, 05'05" S, and 145 Degrees 20' East. Sorry, I am not up with the latest GPS coordinates, so they may read differently.

The Southern Cloud (the airplane which crashed here) memorial is on Bald hill, about 5 km from the 'town' of Tooma, heading towards Tumbarumba. It has some interesting photos and plaques, and on a clear day you can see right up into the valley where the plane crashed.

There is a memorial to the Southern Cloud in Cooma at Cooma Back Creek. This is actually a memorial to the early aviation pioneers of Australia. Some remains of the Southern Cloud are on display in this location. In the centre is a complete new engine, and the remains of the plane's engines are on display, along with some undercarriiage pieces as well..This memorial was built by the Cooma Lions Club back in the 50's or 60's.
AnswerID: 617153

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 23:45

Friday, Feb 23, 2018 at 23:45
'Ere in Oz we 'ave aeroplanes. the yanks have airplanes.
Aeronautical engineers design them!
FollowupID: 888651

Follow Up By: Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 24, 2018 at 13:58

Saturday, Feb 24, 2018 at 13:58
Thanks for that, Erad. That's doable for my ageing bones. I'll try to get there next time I'm in the area.
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 888672

Sponsored Links