Goldstream RV Lift System issues

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 10, 2018 at 20:27
ThreadID: 136528 Views:14489 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, we have recently purchased a 2005 Goldstream RV Storm Offroad. After a few uses the front door side lifting arm is failing to raise the roof when all 3 other corners raise without a problem. So.....I pulled off the couch cushions and the ply access panel to view the winch cavity and found that the push rod for that corner is bent back on itself, hence the failure to lift.
Has anyone had similar issues?
We're looking into getting it repaired soon, but was hoping to get a ball park idea of what costs we will be up for, or at least how many hours labour it might take to repair. I see you can purchase replacement push rods for about $25, and I'm hoping that's all it needs (keep in mind that all the pulleys and cables are in good nick, but I'm nervous that I'm going to be told that the whole system needs replacing. Just trying to get ahead of it.......forewarned is forearmed.
I've attached a (poor) photo of the rod.

Wade
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 10, 2018 at 21:18

Tuesday, Apr 10, 2018 at 21:18
Hi Wade
I had a Jayco swan and it had a similar arrangement.
The cables jumped out of the pulley and went down beside the pulley sheave and strand by strand the cable snapped up at Mitchell Falls ... bugger.
After repairs etc I learned that when the roof is dropped and clipped up wind some tension on the mechanism to keep everything in place on rough roads.
Maybe the spring like flexible lifting rods in yours have rattled down and doubled over and a little tension would keep them in place.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618216

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 07:10

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 07:10
We had a similar problem with our Goldstream Storm Vacationer. The rear left pulley bracket bent. The cause was us. We had neglected to release the latch at that corner and in an attempt to wind up the bracket was put under undue stress and bent.
Cost to have fixed was $400. About $100 for a new pulley bracket and $300 labour cost to do the job.
No blame on the Goldstream product. All these winding mechanisms are the same, or similar on different brands, including Jayco.
AnswerID: 618218

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 20:53

Wednesday, Apr 11, 2018 at 20:53
With our Goldy (a 2010 Storm RL Vacationer) we had a failure of the winding mechanism. Ratchet was ratsh!t. Our local repairer (at Moonbi, just north of Tamworth) installed a replacement from Jayco, as they are identical units. Was a few years ago now, and cannot recall the actual cost, but wouldn't be relevant because he also did a full service, including wheel bearings and hitch, at the same tome.
I think Sandman's price would be close, though!
FollowupID: 890163

Reply By: Dean K3 - Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 18:28

Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 18:28

Folks suffered similar fate with thier "jayco like system and floor pan design"
Recommnd getting a PDF book from camper care by bloke trevor eastman. based around melbourne area - costa few $$ but well worth the read of how to do emergency repairs etc.
looks scarily like folks failiure in typcial fashion I'm the smuck who had it fail
In short we replaced the whole winder system cables etc as many things were worn due to mis alignment of pulleys etc allowing wire to rub on blocks etc
I don't have a pic of thier's on this computer have to go find it and post it up later on
AnswerID: 618245

Follow Up By: wadenbelle - Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 20:40

Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 20:40
Thanks Dean, Any idea of the cost to replace the lot? Yep, looks scarily the same. Not pretty in there.
FollowupID: 890198

Reply By: Dean K3 - Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 22:18

Thursday, Apr 12, 2018 at 22:18
Not sure exactly but spotted a figure of figure $1500 on a bank statement.

This was for complete new system supplied, and I suspect this might have been a trade price (brother a mechanic) he took photos of everything forwarded them with a description to trevor @ camper care.

Not sure if they trade only or public though so if addign labour to a repair company and mark up - gets a few $$$$ involved

One advancement he did with the pulley block (your picture showning good corner) was to replace the nylon pulley with a sliding door wheel which has a bearing inserted - get em from Bunnings rolltrak is brand same OD and groove but way better less resistance as well.

Another trick is to use wedges on same pulley to align cables - this is also explained in the book

I think the cable and clip that raises and lowers the riser rod (damn big slinky or spring coil) has became bound up possibly upon itself causing excess pressure on the pulley as result its collapsed
AnswerID: 618247

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Apr 13, 2018 at 07:58

Friday, Apr 13, 2018 at 07:58
We had a Goldstream Wing III pop top off road camper. One of the things that was stressed at the time we picked up the van was to ensure once we have clipped the top down, was to wind the top up slightly to put a little pressure on the mechanism. This keeps the cables tight while you are travelling, and helps prevent the mechanism from being damaged.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618251

Reply By: swampy - Saturday, Apr 14, 2018 at 10:04

Saturday, Apr 14, 2018 at 10:04
HI
Need to find the cause
Basically excess loading on the lift mechanism causes system premature failure.

Dry lube 4x telescopic poles every second time u use

Check telescopic pole plastic bushes for wear side to side movement

NEVER HAVE WEIGHT ON ROOF WHEN UP

Always have roof cables adjusted with in 10mm of each other 4 corner
[erected distance camper to roof ]

Winch canbe worn out in older units

Inspect as many pullies and mechanisms as u can get to
wear and mountings

Roof seal must be evenly contacting camper body when closed .
Roof seal also needs tobe soft not hard from age .

When roof down DONOT back off winch as cables will go slack and potentially cause issues.

DONOT once roof down put excessive lift load on lifter winch 1/2 turn is enough
AnswerID: 618282

Sponsored Links