Re: awning flappers - annex

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 15, 2018 at 09:24
ThreadID: 136550 Views:2239 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone with the aussietraveller annex ,
How wind resistant are these ennex’s when set up , with I presume plenty of ropes and pegs?
I’ve no annex experience, so am looking for advice.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kazza055 - Sunday, Apr 15, 2018 at 09:53

Sunday, Apr 15, 2018 at 09:53
I have the Aussie Travellers Anti Flap bars on my annex. The Anti Flap bars clamp onto the edge of the awing for virtually the full width of the awning which stops the awning from flapping.

The 2 end walls go into the rope track of the Anti Flap bars so you have a completely sealed joint between end walls and awning roof. The side wall fits into the rope track on the drum so that is also very well sealed.

We also have a skirt that fits from the bottom of the van wall to the ground and this gives a wind proof box.

Tent pegs are used on the bottom of end, side and skirt to peg them to the ground. I then use 2 tie down straps, one at each end of the awning drum.

This setup has been through a few winter storms and is more secure than just having the awning out, because it is sealed the wind can not get underneath the awning.

I would not trust it in a cyclone.
AnswerID: 618299

Reply By: Paul E6 - Tuesday, Apr 17, 2018 at 21:35

Tuesday, Apr 17, 2018 at 21:35
I also have three "ridge beams" spaced between each end of the annexe. They keep the tarp tight and limit the amount of vertical movement in the wind. They also stop water from pooling into the middle, which WILL happen if you don't have them.
AnswerID: 618369

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2018 at 17:08

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2018 at 17:08
Which Aussie Traveller do you have? the Sunburst or the Coolibah? I have the Coolibah on my pop-top van and it is the strongest available on the market. I can leave mine out long after the others have retracted their roll out awnings. In High winds I just use two guy ropes on each corner.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 618383

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Wednesday, Apr 18, 2018 at 20:14

Wednesday, Apr 18, 2018 at 20:14
G’day Peter
We recently bought a alpine Winnie, I think the rollout is dometic, meant to just ask about the antiflap kit , to work out the best way to go when I maybe add walls or at least the shade cloth type walls.
I see the coolibah has a cross wire brace , so would be a lot better any than without that.
Cheers for the reply
FollowupID: 890369

Follow Up By: Member - Suitcase (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 19, 2018 at 12:20

Thursday, Apr 19, 2018 at 12:20
Ditto the Coolibah awning.
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 890388

Sponsored Links