Normanton to Katherine via Savannah Way travel time question

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 15, 2018 at 16:53
ThreadID: 136556 Views:2919 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Planning trip back from Cape York to Katherine and when I search travel times between some of the stops I'm coming up some unexpected results eg:
Normanton to Burketown 209km 7 hours
Doomsgate to Hells Gate RH 81km 3 hours
Hellsgate RH to Borroloola 317km 13hrs

I'm still searching, probaby give some of the roadhouses a call, but anyone here know what a realistic timeframe is to drive fromNormanton to Katherine towing camper trailer (or between the places above) ? We'll be there probably around mid to late June? Excluding side trips.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Sunday, Apr 15, 2018 at 18:26

Sunday, Apr 15, 2018 at 18:26
Done it a few times for work. 2 days ... Leave Katherine and stay at Borroloola. Early start and head to Normanton. Take your time and stay at Burketown or make it a long day and go straight through to Normanton. Condition of the road can also affect the time. A realistic time would be 2 nights camping and 3 full days driving. Also depends if you want to see anything or just get to a destination.
AnswerID: 618313

Reply By: rumpig - Sunday, Apr 15, 2018 at 18:54

Sunday, Apr 15, 2018 at 18:54
Not your exact route, but as an idea of time....Towing a Kimberley Kamper late in the dry season, we did a days drive Normanton to Adels Grove (stopped at Burke and Wills Camp and lunch at Liechardt Falls), short day drive to Kingfisher Camp (no longer open to camping), a huge days drive KFC to Lorella Springs (left 6.30 a.m and drove all day with stop at Hellsgate for mate to get fuel, then a quick morning tea break on side of road in middle of nowhere, and a later then normal lunch at Booroloola with a refuel added in and arrive at Lorella around 5.30 p.m...apparently we did it a good hour and a half to 2 hours quicker then most people do according to Rhett at Lorella...i don't recommend that bigger day be done but it us doable if you need to be somewhere, then a day from Lorella to Mataranka with stops at The Lost World, Butterfly Springs, St Vidgeon Ruins and quick lunch stop elsewhere also, and next day up the highway after that onto Katherine.
AnswerID: 618317

Reply By: Member - TonySA - Sunday, Apr 15, 2018 at 20:03

Sunday, Apr 15, 2018 at 20:03
Thanks Bigfish and Rumpig, appreciate the feedback. Those times are more of what I was expecting/ hoping for, phew. Phoned Hells Gate RH and spoke to a friendly local who also confirmed time to Borroloola was more like 5 hours, not 17. So if we can conquer the Cape we’re off to Katherine and possibly beyond before return to Adelaide.
AnswerID: 618319

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 17, 2018 at 07:17

Tuesday, Apr 17, 2018 at 07:17
I have also found outrageous times for trips on google maps and tom tom for outback roads. 9hrs for William Creek to Marree/ I just ignored the time but noticed when driving the route that tom tom kept telling me I was exceeding the speed limit of 50kph.

It would seem the travel times outback have been deliberately extended. Dont know if this some sort of discouragment to the "tourist driver" or "overseas driver"
to cover their backs if someone drives out west and srikes disaster.

Alan
AnswerID: 618350

Reply By: KevinE - Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 20:36

Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 20:36
That's a big drive Tony!

I can't comment on Normanton to Burketown, but towing a CT from Burketown to Hells Gate is a decent day's drive.

Same from Hells Gate to Borroloola.

From there, it depends if you're going to take the easy option & bail to the Stuart Hwy on the bitumen, or go up through to Roper Bar, to Mataranka.

Lots to see on that road! And it's probably the slowest part of the trip.
AnswerID: 618496

Follow Up By: Member - TonySA - Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 23:07

Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 23:07
Thanks Kev, will depend on how we go getting to Katherine where we go after that.
If we keep going west it will definitely be along the Savanah Way. Was hoping to break the day's travelling up a bit, dont want too many long days driving. But good info to allow us to plan our stops and sightseeing.
Sure is lots to see. No idea of timeframe, but would seem we'll be there around school holidays so possibly going to be a challenge getting a site at El Questro. Thanks for your feedback.
Cheers
Tony
FollowupID: 890513

Follow Up By: rumpig - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2018 at 09:11

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2018 at 09:11
No idea if it suits your time frame or route you end up taking Tony, but i really enjoyed the drive from Lawn Hill to Kingfisher Camp (not that you can camp there now), I thought the first 3/4 of that was a pretty scenic drive when we did it.
FollowupID: 890518

Sponsored Links