Thredbo in August

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 09:02
ThreadID: 136590 Views:2645 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Taking the family down to Jindy and Thredbo in August. We are down there for 8 days then doing a week and a bit around Brisbane (know it reasonably well).

Having not ventured down there before, and with so much to see and do just wondering what 'family' type places there are to see around the snow. The kids are only 3 & 1 years, and I'll be amazed if I come back to Cairns sober & in a normal mental state. At the end of the day they will be more then happy to just play in the snow and have a little fun. That's probably all I'm going to be happy with too.

Can one simply hire some simple snow gear (toboggan etc) and go hell for leather at any snow they see around Jindy or roadsides? Or can you only do this at registered spots e.g. Thredbo Alpine Resort. I contacted them earlier this week and they said this year they will NOT be having any family activities/sections on their slopes. That made me a tad nervous! They weren't much help at all with any other questions I had.

Any other snow idea's or suggestions to do around the snow muchly appreciated. We've got ourselves an X-Trail for the time we are down there, I will be taking it easy on the roads as snow driving will be new to me.

Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gronk - Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 11:35

Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 11:35
Try Mt Selwyn, a bit quieter than the big resorts, might be more child friendly ?
AnswerID: 618450

Reply By: Erad - Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 11:52

Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 11:52
Thredbo is a very upmarket place. Expensive and a t that time of the year absolutely full of people (most of them full as well!). If you want to be in the thick of it, by all means go to Thredbo (Perisher Valley is just the same). If you just want to play in the snow, Mt Selwyn is much more family oriented. You park the car right beside the ski runs, there are areas set aside for toboggans and if you are a beginner at skiing, this is probably a better place to learn as well. The big plus is that it is much cheaper. No nightlife at Selwyn, and that is probably why it is less popular. There is a licensed bar at the resort, but that is about all there is. Really mean people take a BBQ and cook sausages and onions in the car park. The smell of that in the clear mountain air is soooo tempting...

Accommodation for Selwyn would be cheaper - Adaminaby Motel or there is some accom at Providence Portal, or you could stay in Cooma. The Cooma Visitors Center can help with accommodation and things to do. They have a 1800 number (which I cannot find at present). There is plenty of accommodation in Jindabyne as well, but that would be more expensive

Kosciuszko National Park fees are $29 per day! If you just want to play in the snow, you could go on the Snowy Mountain Hwy to Kiandra and head for Cabramurra. Park well off the road for safety reasons and you should have a good day. You don't have to pay at the park gate if you are going to Cabra, and there should be snow there at that time of the year. You can also get a basic hot meal at the Cabramurra cafe.

It all depends on what you want to do. If you want to play snow bunnies with the best of them, go to Thredbo or Perisher. If you just want some family fun go Cabramurra or Selwyn.
AnswerID: 618451

Reply By: Member - peter_mcc - Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 22:05

Saturday, Apr 21, 2018 at 22:05
Perisher has (or had in the past) a toboggan area - Thredbo hasn't for a while.

I'm pretty sure if you're not at a resort or private property you can go wild with a toboggan or make a snowman. You'd want to make sure it's safe - it's hard to control where a toboggan goes.

The road to Thredbo is fairly steep on the sides - the road to Perisher has some flatter valley sections so might be a better bet.

In Winter you can't drive past Perisher to Charlotte's Pass - the road is closed. You can usually drive around the Alpine Way (past Thredbo) which is scenic & has lots of corners/climbs/decents.

Watch out for ice on the road - the grip goes to nothing in an instant and the car decides where you go without a lot of input from the driver.

In Jindy there is the Cookie factory - they might let you look inside but otherwise they have some cheap "factory seconds".

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 618467

Reply By: Theo D - Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 13:01

Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 13:01
Thanks for the replies guys.

Will checkcout Mt Selwyn then, might be a winner.

AnswerID: 618475

Sponsored Links