Stone Stomper

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 15:34
ThreadID: 136600 Views:6161 Replies:13 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Thinking about fitting a Stone Stomper to my rig for a trip down the GRR and up to Kalumburu.
I have a Toyota 100 Series Wagon towing a 2016 Pioneer Longreach hard floor.
Interested in any feedback good or bad from others who have the same combination of tug and camper including what option assembly they are using.
Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to assist.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: the_fitzroys - Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 17:19

Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 17:19
Interesting. Following.
AnswerID: 618476

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 17:38

Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 17:38
You cannot go wrong with Stone Stomper. Great product, works perfectly and Christian, the proprietor is a delight to deal with. After service is great, too.
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 618477

Reply By: Member - ACD 1 - Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 18:19

Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 18:19
Hi Munji

I am running a Stone Stomper on my 100 series but with a different trailer. Excellent piece of kit.

Easy initial setup and once you have the tensions set they are easy to put on and take off. At night or long stays, I drop it off the trailer and roll it under the vehicle to access the back of the vehicle. At road side stops I either lean against the edge or stand on top and push the mesh to the ground (no signs of any damage after 6 years of good use).

Not sure what you mean by "option assembly".

I have an additional towball hitch so I just slide the one with the Stone Stomper out and slip the other one in - it saves leaving the canvas on the vehicle all the time or dis assembling the Stone Stomper.

Whatever you do, don't use it in muddy conditions.

Cheers

Anthony
AnswerID: 618478

Reply By: Member - Penski - Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 18:28

Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 18:28
I think the exact combination will be few and far between however similar might help. My vehicle is a Pajero and I tow a Modcon Imperial forward fold. The Stonestomper is attached to the stone deflector on the camper. I considered removing the deflector and taking the stomper to the camper body but thought stones thrown up from oncoming vehicles wouldn’t be dealt with. The camper also has mudflaps under the stone deflector which I have left in place. Overall I have had no issues and no visible damage. I also find less dust kicks up between the vehicle and camper. If I changed my vehicle and/or camper I would definitely replace or upgrade the Stonestomper.
AnswerID: 618479

Reply By: Gronk - Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 18:38

Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 18:38
As others have said, the stomper is a great bit of gear, and for stone chips to front of van or back of 4wd, there is NOTHING else that comes close//
AnswerID: 618481

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 19:07

Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 19:07
Hi Munji

For any person that tows on dirt roads, they should be a "Must Have" add on accessories to purchase.

Dead simple to install and set up.

Unlike most modern accessories, every Stone Stomper is tailor made to suit both town vehicle and the unit that is being towed.

Reduces dust and the back window and no fear of a rebounding stone to break the back window.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 618482

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 19:48

Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 19:48
Have a stone stomper between my 100 series and Tvan, also have a 4mm perspex rear window protector.
You will need a minimum 40mm gap on the tow tongue to fit the stone stomper bar.
AnswerID: 618483

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 07:15

Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 07:15
Hi Cruiser

Is there any reason why you use a Perspex rear window protector, as that is one of the reasons in the first place for installing a Stone Stomper.?

You should not get any rebounding stones to hit your rear window.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 890492

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 09:29

Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 09:29
I also have a stone stomper, and recommend it highly as it reduces stone strikes, however I don't think Christian would guarantee it will stop all stone damage.

I have a Prado towing a Vista XL, we often do what would be considered server gravel roads. I find the stone guards on the van still get peppered with small stone chips and need to paint the deflectors after each trip. This damage I believe is caused by stones getting throw out side ways by the tires and then sucked back in by the vacuum created behind the car. On our last trip we had a rock strike to one of the side lockers that resulted in a fair size dent in the door, only way I can think of that happening was a large rock has been thrown out to the side by a tire and then bounced back into the side of the van.

I also still use a rear screen deflector and often find stones caught between the deflector and the rear window, these have probably come from the front wheels or passing cars. I also have couple of chips in the back door again possibly caused by passing cars. I have seen cars with broken side and rear windows who have not been towing.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 890495

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 10:33

Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 10:33
Hi HKB

I know exactly what you are talking out for sure.

On one of out trips up the Birdsville Track, I was sitting on a safe speed for the stoney conditions and my reduced tyre pressures, with us sitting on a comfortable 80kph.

I could see in the distance behind me an approaching column of dust, that was gaining very quickly. I could then see an 80 Series sitting behind my camper, but near the middle of the road.

So rather than him pulling wide on the RHS of the track and passing that way, no he passed us like a mad man, with less than 2 metres between us, and showered us in rocks, with an end result of lots of stone chips to the driver side of my Prado and a small chip on the rear right passenger window.

Then to give more insult to injury yet again, less than 5 minutes up the track he was pulled over on the side of the track with a flat tyre. Fifteen minutes later, the jerk did the very same thing again, passing us close again and another shower of rocks.

Then about 45 minutes later, we approached the state border crossing into Queensland and they were stopped there taking photo. When they saw our vehicle coming again they got back into their car a pulled straight out onto the road hoping to stay in front of me, but seeing he was still gaining speed, I overtook them, and then sat in the middle of the road, as it was then freshly graded and very dusty, and he then continued to sit in our dust all the way into Birdsville.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 890497

Follow Up By: HKB Electronics - Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 12:58

Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 12:58
Revenge can be sweet:)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 890501

Follow Up By: Member - shane r1 - Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 14:08

Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 14:08
Hmmmmm.
Maybe better to pull over for a leg stretch and let someone like that get away from you.
FollowupID: 890504

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2018 at 07:10

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2018 at 07:10
Hi Stephen,
the rear perspex window protector is for extra peace of mind. $180 from City Plastics in Adelaide.
i'm currently on my second day of a possible 3 month trip doing a lot of dirt/stony roads towing a Tvan so it just one less thing to worry about.
Cheers,
Steve
FollowupID: 890515

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Apr 24, 2018 at 07:26

Tuesday, Apr 24, 2018 at 07:26
Hi Steve

Thanks for that. I hope you have a fantastic time away and looking forward to your report when you get back home.

Safe Travels

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 890516

Reply By: Member - J&A&KK - Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 22:30

Sunday, Apr 22, 2018 at 22:30
Mundi

As others have said the Stone Stomper(SS) is an excellent device and very well supported by Christian.

There are different combinations of SS length due to tug towbar and van drawbar lengths and potential mounting locations.

I suggest you call Christian and talk to him. He may have already made an SS to fit your requirements. If not he will need some dimensions on your set up.

You will not regret installing the SS. We have used one now for 4 years and it is always on - bitumen or dirt. The front of the van and the rear of the Prado is unmarked from stone chips. It does collect mud on a wet dirt road and it sags as the weight of the sticking mud increases. However we stop and give the SS a few whacks with the back of the shovel and most of the mud drops off. In our experience the mud collection has been the only issue.

Cheers John

AnswerID: 618487

Reply By: Outback Epicurean - Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 18:06

Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 18:06
Another vote for SS. Had Rock Tamers and they were not at all effective and switch to SS best decision.
AnswerID: 618495

Reply By: DaveO*ST-R - Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 21:31

Monday, Apr 23, 2018 at 21:31
"You will need a minimum 40mm gap on the tow tongue to fit the stone stomper bar"

Not quite. SS can provide from memory 3 different options for mounting to the tow hitch. I do not have the 40mm gap b/w the hitch and receiver, so have the supplied angled "L" shaped bracket that is held in place by the tow ball bolt. If you email SS, Christian will send you an information pack relating to your particular type of trailer that explains all.

I have not had my SS for long with my new FF camper, but the small amount of dirt roads I have been on with it fitted have shown it to be just awesome. So far, well worth the expense. Will be doing the Tanami, GRR and Kalumburu Road in May/June and expect the SS to save the back of my Landcruiser as well as the camper from a stone attack - time will tell. My last trip to Cape York left the LC with dozens of small stone chips to the back tailgate - stones bouncing off the stoneguard on the camper, not to mention the camper being sandblasted back to bare metal in places.Touch up paint on a white vehicle works wonders !!! The window was covered with corflute so no problems there but hopefully the SS will perform as expected this trip.
AnswerID: 618497

Reply By: Von Helga - Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 13:30

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 13:30
Great product.

If your mount system uses small D shackles then wire them shut so the pins will not undo.

I dropped one shackle and the mat dragged on the bitumen and damaged the mat... not terminal but a PITA.

AnswerID: 619225

Reply By: Munji - Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 18:51

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 18:51
Im keen to see any photographs of how other pioneer camper owners have affixed their stone stomper to the camper considering the side guards fold open when required to change gas cylinders.
I have a Pioneer longreach
AnswerID: 619233

Reply By: Member - Suitcase (QLD) - Thursday, Jul 26, 2018 at 20:10

Thursday, Jul 26, 2018 at 20:10
Hi all
I too am about to invest in a stone stomper. My van has a stone guard, then a large front box in front of the van body. Would people recommend that I get the stone stomper made so that it goes right through under the box and attaches at the front of the van body itself.

I also noticed that in a video I saw about the product the jockey wheel of the trailer in the video was configured so that when folded up the wheel was horizontal rather than vertical - it seemed to get it out of the way of the stone stomper. Does anyone else do this?

Cheers
Suitcase
Prado SX and a little van

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 620347

Sponsored Links