Axle weights

Submitted: Thursday, Sep 20, 2018 at 11:20
ThreadID: 137269 Views:9851 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
G'day everyone,
Just a quick question. Does any one know the front and rear axle weights on a 76 series Landcruiser workmate as is on the showroom floor before any add-ons. can't seem to find them in the manual.
Cheers Scott
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bobjl - Thursday, Sep 20, 2018 at 19:13

Thursday, Sep 20, 2018 at 19:13
I cannot find the weights expressed in specifications or in other forums. However I note a comment from an LCool member on a 2016 post that says...

"Both the front and rear axle capacities, along with tyre size and inflation pressures, are listed on the compulsory label fixed to the vehicle, driver's side door pillar in my case".

Bob
AnswerID: 621310

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Sep 20, 2018 at 23:52

Thursday, Sep 20, 2018 at 23:52
S&S - According to Toyota, the maximum front axle load for the 76 series is 1480kg, and the maximum rear axle load is 2180kg.

The 79 series has the same rating for the front axle, but the 79 series rear axle is rated at 2300kg.

Pedders have produced the best axle ratings spec sheet I have come across.
It lists nearly all the 4x4's on the market, from recent years to current models.

Pedders axle specifications

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 621315

Reply By: Jackolux - Friday, Sep 21, 2018 at 03:33

Friday, Sep 21, 2018 at 03:33
I think what Scott & Sally are asking is does anyone knows the actual axel weights
of a std 76 LC , not what the max rating is ,
AnswerID: 621317

Follow Up By: RMD - Friday, Sep 21, 2018 at 07:44

Friday, Sep 21, 2018 at 07:44
Jackolux has accurately identified what the poster is asking. He wants to know how much down force is being applied to the ground at each end of the vehicle whilst in OE trim. The axle rating is not what he wants to know.

Presumably he is trying to work out what he can ADD and still be be legal.
FollowupID: 893812

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Sep 21, 2018 at 09:48

Friday, Sep 21, 2018 at 09:48
I don't know why anyone would want to know the weight on each individual axle, as the vehicle stands on the showroom floor.

That figure is simply one that is only relevant to engineers involved in designing handling and suspension tune of the vehicle.

The individual axle load weight varies, the instant passengers or cargo are loaded.

The important numbers are each axles load capacity, the vehicle GVM and the GCM.
Each of these figures must be watched carefully, to make sure they aren't exceeded by overloading.
If the rear axle is showing overload, the cargo must be shifted forward, or the accessory lightened, or moved to a different position.

The GVM of the 76 Series is 3300kg - that figure can't be exceeded - and it doesn't matter where the 3300kgs of weight is positioned over the length of the vehicle, as long as the individual axle capacity is not exceeded.

The simple problem that reoccurs continually, when owners are loading up and travelling, is that manufacturer GVM's and GCM's are very easily exceeded - and the aftermarket suspension and engineering crowds are making a "nice little earner" out of supplying heavier axles, and carrying out engineering improvements to enable uprated GVM's and GCM's.

Weight distribution hitches are designed simply to transfer heavy towbar loadings from the rear axle to the front axle, to prevent major load imbalances.
WDH's do not have any specifications on what the actual weight distribution between front and rear axles must be.

There's a good article linked below, with extensive explanations centred around 4WD vehicle loading, handling, weight of accessories, weight distribution, and many other discussion angles, with regard to setting up your vehicle for touring.

Nowhere in that article is there anything about the individual front and rear axle load weights at the ground, on the showroom floor - apart from pointing out that the individual axle load limits imposed by the manufacturer must not be exceeded.

Whichcar - vehicle loading and GVM explained

Cheers, Ron.

FollowupID: 893813

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Friday, Sep 21, 2018 at 10:47

Friday, Sep 21, 2018 at 10:47
Ron yes you are right but the OP might just be curious , I'm like that and just need to know stuff .

I had a test drive of the dealers demo Y62 Patrol a few weeks ago , I drove it straight to the weighbridge to see what the axel and total weight was in a std 62 it only had about a 1/3 tank of fuel .

I bought one a couple of weeks later and drove it with a full tank and the 2 of us straight from the dealers to the weighbridge , just coz I can .

I agree the Tare weight in the specs is not that relevant without fuel or people
the Y62 Patrols Tare was 2715kg the actual weight with the 2 of us and a full tank was Front axel 1540 - Rear axle 1460 = exactly 3000kg ,

FollowupID: 893814

Follow Up By: Member - Scott & Sally - Friday, Sep 21, 2018 at 14:56

Friday, Sep 21, 2018 at 14:56
Thanks for the feed back everyone. As I know the tare, curb and the max GVM weight of a stock 76 I was just curious as to how that weight was divided. As an example Tare 2220KG Front 1100 rear 1120 That's all.
FollowupID: 893815

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Friday, Sep 21, 2018 at 21:41

Friday, Sep 21, 2018 at 21:41
Good to see that you have the answer ... It would be nice if manufacturers were a little more helpful with weights, though!
An example is the weights of accessories. Nowhere on the web are these weights available and, in a "chat session" with a Ford Aus representative, I asked for information about weights for nudge bar, roof bars, tow kit - to be told "I don't have that information at hand" no offer to find it and email me, no offer to get someone else to respond - simply "no information" and session closed.
When I am trying to select a satisfactory tow vehicle, the extra weights subtract from the payload, and THAT is important.
One should not have to get a manual to get that sort of info - it goes to the decisions being made before purchase.
FollowupID: 893816

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Saturday, Sep 22, 2018 at 06:22

Saturday, Sep 22, 2018 at 06:22
Individual axle weights are the main ones the transport compliance guys are interested in. I’d like to know.
Gee those big wagons are a bit of a worry. Has the patrol got a towbar yet? A couple of accessories, a packet of Tim tams, take off the 130 lg gvm reduction at max ball weight and there isn’t enough left for the ball weight.
They should be forced to publish a standardised kerb weight with full tanks and a towbar at least, if they are talking tow capacities. Nissan isn’t Robinson Crusoe in that department.
FollowupID: 893817

Follow Up By: Jackolux - Saturday, Sep 22, 2018 at 09:34

Saturday, Sep 22, 2018 at 09:34
Yes both Patrols the demo and the one I bought both had tow bars .
I removed the 3rd row seats - 38kg ,
I have fitted a Rhino bar upfront 60kg but 20kg is removed , my Runva Winch is 28kg .
The single 2nd row seat is 25kg , I will probably remove all seats except the 2 front
The Patrol has a 175kg better load capacity than a GXL 200 LC

Yep Wagons are heavyweights
FollowupID: 893818

Follow Up By: Gbc.. - Saturday, Sep 22, 2018 at 09:41

Saturday, Sep 22, 2018 at 09:41
I can’t throw stones, I have a ranger. They are kerb weighted with a tank full of fuel though. There needs to be uniformity across manufacturers though so people can make informed decisions. It is sad that we have to weigh a brand new mass produced vehicle.
FollowupID: 893819

Sponsored Links