A View from The Air

Submitted: Saturday, Nov 10, 2018 at 23:01
ThreadID: 137457 Views:6636 Replies:20 FollowUps:61
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone

With a few comments in my last forum post about the Wirrabara Silo Art, the topic of Drones was brought up.

For a number of years, I have wanted to get one and a few months ago I was able to buy a new Mavic Air.

I have had some great fun with it and here are some images taken with it and gives a very different perspective of what it is like to look down from above, rather than from ground level.

Perhaps those with drones may like to add your images here, to liven up the forum chat.

**As a special note, all images were taken legally within the CASA guidelines that all drone flyers should be aware of. Those that not have their app, it may pay you to download it to be a safe and responsible Drone Flyer.**

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 11 Moderator

Reply By: GarryR - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 06:00

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 06:00
some great shots and a very different perspective of what is normally seen. It is also good to see you share your photos with others about the different locations you travel. A drone is on my bucket list but not a prioity at the moment till we finish the new shed that I am building at the son in laws. Keep up your good work for all to enjoy.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622078

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 08:41

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 08:41
Hi Garry

You sure get a very different perspective from the air and the Canola crops are a very good example of that, with the wheat in the other paddocks with their dark green colour. Also you get some great beach shots over the braking surf that you can not see from the beach.

I am glad that I held off, as I originally liked the Phantom, but the down side is very bulky to travel with and almost double the selling price.

As they say, all good things come to those that wait........lol

Cheers and thanks for your reply.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894734

Reply By: ChrisVal7 - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 08:03

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 08:03
What wonderful images and a perspective we don’t often see. Thanks for sharing this special “slice of Australia”.
AnswerID: 622081

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 08:44

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 08:44
Hi ChrisVal

Thanks for that and you sure do get a very different perspective from above.

I can not wait to get out into the red sand and spinifex and over the cliffs of the Great Australian Bight.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894735

Reply By: Members - Bow & Nan - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 08:37

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 08:37
I hate drones anywhere near my camp. They are more annoying than generators.
AnswerID: 622082

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 08:54

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 08:54
Not sure why you made a comment like that Bow and Nan.

Generator, sit in the one place for hours on end yet once the drone is in the air, you can hardly hear it and when over about 30 metres, there is no noise at all.

Do you use an outboard on your tinnie or use your air conditioner in your caravan when you are set up, as they for sure make far more noise than my drone.

As they say, you can never please everyone.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894736

Follow Up By: baznpud - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 09:02

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 09:02
Well said.
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894737

Follow Up By: Idler Chris - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 09:40

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 09:40
What a sour puss Bow & Nan must be. All Stephen has done is show us what can be achieved with a drone. These photo's very clearly demonstrate the totally different perspective that can be obtained and I don't see to many camping areas. I would believe that most people would see these photo's as a great addition to their photo collection and memories.
Stephen has in his post reminded people that there are laws that cover the use of drones and urged their responsible use. Your Troopy driving into a camp ground would make much more noise than a drone..
So get a life and be thankful that we have members like Stephen who give much of their time to help others.
Chris
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894738

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 10:36

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 10:36
Some people have no respect for others, in any regards, be it generators, loud music, drunken antics, dangerous driving in their 4WDs, etc etc.
That will probably never change.

I (and I'm sure Stephen), aim to fly drones with respect to others.
Within CASA guidlines of 30m distance they are very quiet, especially with different blades (mavic pro platinum blades are a fair bit quieter, not that the normal ones are overly intrusive).

The other point is drones have a battery life of around 20 mins, so they aren't going to be hovering over someones camp for all that time, you can be sure of that . . . rather well out of earshot taking amazing video or photos.
FollowupID: 894740

Follow Up By: Members - Bow & Nan - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 11:14

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 11:14
Most drone operators ignore the 30 m distance. I can hear them from 300 m.
I do not enjoy a drone above my camp at happy hour.
I do not enjoy a drone hovering 5 m above my caravan.
I do not enjoy a drone hovering above my boat when I am fishing.

I put drones in the same category as jet skis.
FollowupID: 894745

Follow Up By: OBJ - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 16:48

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 16:48
Some people are only happy when they are miserable. Life begins when you get one.

I love drones and I always love Stephen's pictures. He generously shares his pics and experiences with others.

Keep it up Stephen, including your drone.
FollowupID: 894755

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 19:49

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 19:49
Hey Bow

Are you for real or just full of it......

It just shows how ignorant you are to claim you can hear a drone from 300 metres.

Drones at that distance will be almost impossible to hear, and if you do not have eagle eyes, almost impossible to see.

As they say you will never please everyone, and you sound like one of those type of people.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894765

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 19:46

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 19:46
This evening at 8:30 a local man in central vic has been flying his drone over the suburbs. Contrary to what was stated by those who own one I can easily, very easily, hear it at least 300 m away. At two house blocks distance it attracts attention as it is noisey and high up it is easily heard. Those who can’t need hearing assistance it seems. Appears to be a Mavic brand. Easy to see at 300m too. Just look in direction the noise is emanating from.
FollowupID: 894809

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 20:50

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 20:50
Hi RMD

The trouble is there are quite a few brands and models of Drones on the market and all get branded as the same.

My drone is manufactured by the largest Drone manufacture in the world, DJI. I am in no way having a shot at you, and please do not take this the wrong way, but Mavic is one of many models and not the brand.

DJI make quite a few models, with mine being the Mavic Air, and trust me at 300 metres you can not see or hear it and let alone see it if you do not have a spotter keeping a very good eye on it. Without seeing any drone up close, it would be very hard to see what brand or model it is.

It sounds like the person flying around your suburb is far from a responsible drone flyer. I like many responsible flyers only fly it in out of the way places and well away from other people, as the last thing I would want to do is cause any sort of trouble.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894812

Follow Up By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 at 13:05

Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 at 13:05
Even with my 'noisy' Phantom I can barely hear it 300m away. If I could hear suburban traffic, I don’t think I could hear it 200m away.

Anyone doubting my figures the readout gives me distances from 'home' and altitude. My hearing is really good at the frequency the sound of the drone or wasps. It is high pitched sounds I have difficulty with.

Anyone seeing the Phantom at 300m has to have very good eyes too. Very good eyes, and know where to look

Observation of an aircraft is a bit like trying to judge the size and distance of a glacier without considerable experience. These aircraft included. Without the readout you wouldn’t know.
FollowupID: 894834

Follow Up By: Greg J1 - Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 at 18:26

Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 at 18:26
I can’t understand why people have to complain about the way others camp.

I know nothing about drones. I have no interest in them. But you can’t deny the lovely pictures they take.

The same with generators. If someone else wants to use one that’s fine with me. Honestly how much noise does a little Honda or Yamaha make.

A JetSki. Now that’s something I want to try. But I’d probably just poke around on one but it looks fun.

Gees these people are all out in the outdoors having fun. What could be better. Just because they do it differently to you doesn’t mean they are doing it wrong.

Cheers Greg
FollowupID: 894839

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 10:24

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 10:24
Ahhh Stephen, Your photos have always impressed me and now you have added another dimension to them. How you ever had the time to photographically record so much of your travels amazed me, now you have added to it.

I think that maybe I could now pension-off the Troopy and just view the world through your lens! lol
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 622083

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 18:20

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 18:20
Ha Ha Allan

I know you and Roa too well for you to stop travelling.

If you are a good boy, Roz might have a chat to Father Christmas and see what he can arrange for you for Christmas........Lol

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894762

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 11:10

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 11:10
I don't take a lot of photos, more a short video clip drone flyer.
Using nd filters for the video shots, they don't lend themselves to taking photos on the same flights, needing to be removed for that purpose.

I do have a C-PL and UV-CL for photos, and a few times put it up for a few shots . . . these are very early ones . . .

AnswerID: 622084

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 18:18

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 18:18
Thanks Again Les for sharing.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894761

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 11:26

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 11:26
One of my favourites taken on 5 state trip, Carawine Gorge.

Took some nice video of Baxter Cliffs too, but it was blowing a gale with an offshore wind, wasn't game to fly more than a few metres above the plain, and kept it very close to the edge . . .

AnswerID: 622085

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 18:17

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 18:17
Hi Les

They are fantastic and thanks for sharing.

The music is great as well, where did you get that from?

Cheers and Thanks

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894760

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 19:55

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 19:55
I like using iMovie on the ipad for first edit, then add some music in the DJI editor on Go4.
It's pretty basic, and you need to try and match music to your video to suit.

I just haven't had time to master any of the reasonable (or free) cost more advanced editors, but with those you can get free share music from many sites online, all they ask is acknowledgment of their info in the video description on youtube etc.
FollowupID: 894767

Reply By: skulldug - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 12:20

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 12:20
They can also be handy for inspecting gutters.

AnswerID: 622086

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 13:51

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 13:51
And with a Gannet bait release, drop a bait right into a school of Mulloway !!
Ol' fisher mate across the road was telling me he watched a group do this recently down the Murray mouth, and every time they hooked and brought in a big Mullo.
FollowupID: 894748

Follow Up By: skulldug - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 14:44

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 14:44
Yep, was using one of those the day the photo was taken when a 300kg mulloway jumped out of the water, grabbed my bait and took off. It dragged me across the Murray Mouth and I fought him all way down the Young Husband Peninsula - landed him just before Kingston. It wasn't legal though because I lost visual line of sight on the Mavic!

Sorry Les, I couldn't resist.

Nice pics of Hallet Cove.
FollowupID: 894749

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 16:14

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 16:14
Ha ha, poor old Mavic would have trouble with that.
FollowupID: 894753

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 18:12

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 18:12
Hi Skulldug

Thanks for sharing that great image over the Coorong. it looks great.

Thanks Again.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894759

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 21:05

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 21:05
Russel Coight is way ahead of you....

Russell Coight - how to fly a drone

Cheers
Greg

PS may require Facebook account to view.
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 622099

Reply By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 22:07

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 22:07
I have had a drone for a couple of years now and have shared photos and video. Quite a few of the Silo Art Trail are shared on Google's pages of the trail, some videos on Facebook along parts of the Great Ocean Road. This one is from Stanhope's Bay just off the Great Ocean Road click Stanhope's Bay

Because as an unregistered drone flyer I am not intending to monetise I just share for pleasure of doing them. No copywriting imprint.

If you really want to see art photography along the Victorian coast, search "Hanging Pixels" as Oat does a fabulous job. He has a restaurant as an evening job in Port Fairy. A lot of his photos and videos on Facebook but not all
AnswerID: 622100

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 22:47

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 22:47
Hi John

It’s been a long time since we have had a chat.

That video is fantastic and the music adds to the theme.

Thanks for taking the time to show us all.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894770

Follow Up By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 23:20

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 23:20
Hi Stephen, Heather drew my attention to the post. I have a P3P which is a bit long in the tooth in terms of technology today but the camera is good. I have bought some processing software but am no wizz at using it as I haven't allocated the time to learn.

We have just spent the weekend at the Pyrenees on the annual EO jaunt, but the drone stayed in the car. Interestingly one friend who has been using a Mavic is thinking of going to the more bulky Phantom for a better platform
FollowupID: 894773

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 22:23

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 22:23
Hello Stephen

Great pictures. I have been using a drone or two (Marvic Pro and Mavic Air) for over a year now (for work of course :)..They are indeed great and provide opportunity to get some good shots. A quick flick through my collection revealed the following....

Sorry may have got carried away

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 622101

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 22:42

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 22:42
Hi Greg

Thanks for sharing those great images, they are fantastic.

How do you compare the Air over the Pro?

Thanks again for the time to show us those great images.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894769

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 23:23

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 23:23
Hello

When I acquired the Pro the Air hadn't been released...but I got caught out for a work job when the Pro had to be sent in on warranty issue. So grabbed the Air. Both are excellent. Battery life on Pro is probably something I like as at least 1/3 better than Air...plus seems to have better signal range but if you abide by drone rules not a problem. So would say Pro good for long missions in open areas. I use Air in tight areas for work (forest)...as its smaller than Pro and battery life and range not an issue (have 4 batteries).

If I had to choose would go Air now. Pro has been superseded by new versions (Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom). I think the super serious photographers would choose Pro option but more expensive and while it may have potential for better pics not something we probably need to worry about.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894774

Follow Up By: Ron N - Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 23:39

Sunday, Nov 11, 2018 at 23:39
Greg, that's a terrific shot of the Barn Owl. Was that planned, or just a fluke?

How do you blokes calculate your maximum flying height? I believe that is regulated to 400 feet. Do you have altimeters on the drones?

The shot of the Collgar Wind Farm seem to be taken right around the 400 foot mark, as the turbines are 125M (410 feet) to the tip of the vertical blades.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 894776

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 01:24

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 01:24
Hello Ron

Barn owl picture was a fluke...was just assessing tree hollows...and there it was.

Maximum height allowed for drones in Australia (without special permission I assume) is indeed 400ft (120m in the new language, if you dont fly a plane). Max height is maintained by drone software on controlling device (generally smartphone or ipad/tablet). The software for the devices in question (DJI) allows you to change this setting up to a maximum of of 500m..so you can...like driving..go over the limit..but not advisable.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894778

Reply By: Member - Michael O (NSW) - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 07:26

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 07:26
CASA Rules Overview

Some interesting points here I was not aware of...

30m away from people and not over or above them.
AnswerID: 622104

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 07:40

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 07:40
Hi Michael

That is why I made mention of this point in my last paragraph.

Also their App is very handy when in an area that you are not sure of.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894781

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 08:07

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 08:07
The app is "Can I Fly There", available for apple or android, free, very good.

There ARE ways to fly places in the app even in or near red no fly zones legally under the NOTAM system, into G airspace, but really it's a pita to go through the rigmarole.

120m is high enough to get some scenic shots for sure, the only place I'd like to fly higher is in the middle of desert regions to get the vastness in perspective.
I've flown some places / properties with small strips, just ask the controlling authority there if anything is on the way they know of, and do the CASA rule where you land asap if you become aware of any aircraft operating.

It's a brilliant hobby, goes so well hand in hand with bushwalking or 4WDn.
When drone operators fly with respect and consideration for others, I can't for the life of me see how 15 - 20 mins max flight time even if you weren't aware say campers were down the river (or whatever) a little, when flying at more than 30m you would be hard going hearing or seeing a drone unless it was ascending under increased engine power.

From a hobby level, they certainly are not there to (and operators aren't going waste battery life to) hover over a camp "spying" on people (a common perception), as you simply can't make out to that sort of level of detail with their tiny cameras, they are only for scenic use, rather than military style drone ability.
FollowupID: 894783

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 08:23

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 08:23
Well said Les.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894785

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 11:36

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 11:36
The Mavic Air is actually quite noisy and can be heard when 120m above you - ...not sure how far away in a horizontal distance (obviously depends on height and prevailing wind etc). Sounds like a swarm of very angry bees close up. Mavic Pro not so noisy but it is more than noticeable at 30m.

I just try to avoid people altogether and if there are a few around try not to fly near them, go up to 120m and don't linger. I think the dislike of drones is because people think they are being spied upon or their privacy invaded. Strangely though you could walk past someones camp at less than 30m and see more than with a drone while at the same time getting a "hello" and "how ya going"...do that with a drone and it may get smashed out of the sky with a well aimed rock :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894790

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 13:24

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 13:24
Wasn't aware of the increased noise of the Air, and possibly the Mavic Zoom . . . strange as I thought fairly related products they should be around the same.

The Mavic Pro is very quiet, moreso when you put the Platinum props on, it makes a noticeable difference in reducing motor noise.
I must pick up a second set of Platinum props, as these have done some pretty good hours now.
FollowupID: 894795

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 13:31

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 13:31
The Airs props are closer to the body of the drone and overlap it a fair bit compared to Pro - this maybe the reason for it be noticeably louder....but I am only guessing.

I did buy some low noise props for the Air but they dont sound much different - the Chinese dude on Ebay must have been having me on. Lucky they only cost a few bucks and work nonetheless. The Pro is not so noisy that I have as yet considered low noise props but when the time comes to get some replacements may as well try them I suppose.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894796

Follow Up By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 16:07

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 16:07
I reckon my P3P props are noisier by a fair way than the Mavic drones I have been near
FollowupID: 894799

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 17:31

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 17:31
That’s a certainty John, my sons Phantom is much more noticeable from the noise aspect.

Funny enough, his Spark seems more annoying with its small props and higher motor tones.
FollowupID: 894801

Follow Up By: Member - nick b boab - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 20:27

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 20:27
CSAS use to be covered under a thing called " common sense & decency "
Not to much of that around anymore ..
but i would rather have a drone wiping around than some FT on a jet ski pissing me off !!!
luv the pictures & this story as i have a DJI spark on my wish list for xmas .
Cheers Nick b

FollowupID: 894811

Reply By: skulldug - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 15:14

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 15:14
Here's a few more. Great post Stephen and some interesting discussion about CASA rules etc.

AnswerID: 622112

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 21:14

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 21:14
Hi skulldug

Thanks for taking the time to put those great images up, they look great.

The one that looks special to me is the pink salt lake..it looks just unreal from the air.

There is a similar “Pink Lakes” heading down the Coorong and I would love to photograph it from the air.

I would think most responsible people would check out the CASA regulations before they first fly, as I know I did.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894818

Reply By: RMD - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 17:19

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 17:19
Hello Stephen
Here is a lovely shot of a drone upside down 30m high up on a ledge in a recess in the side of Ayers Rock. June 2016.
Prior to finding this is saw 3 young blokes charging through the undergrowth on the east side and I wondered why. They seemed to have been preoccupied and didn't see us on the track as they single mindedly ran through the bush.
It is illegal to fly near the rock and to my knowledge the craft is still there unless retrieved by rangers with a bigger drone with a hook.
It probably it can't take off when upside down.
RMD
AnswerID: 622114

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 17:38

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 17:38
Uluru is we’ll outside Yulara airport zone and the Can I Fly There app says ok to fly at the rock.

BUT all Nat Pks in Oz have varying rules for flying drones, NT is pretty sure you need to seek a permit, a lot of mucking about.

Qld is the only state you can fly all such parks without permission, simply fly to CASA rules.
FollowupID: 894802

Follow Up By: RMD - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 19:48

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 19:48
When I was there the signs said “NO” to drones, Rangers notices mentioned the exclusion too. Aboriginal communities especially adamant about it for cultural reasons and beliefs.
FollowupID: 894810

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 21:07

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 21:07
Hi RMD

That would have been a very expensive flight for that Phantom flyer.

If there were signs saying no drones, then it is people like this that give other responsible flyers a bad name.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894817

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 21:38

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 21:38
Yes RMD, I've seen the signs there, and as I said Nat Parks are off limits in most cases / states, except in QLD.

True Stephen, it SHOULD be a matter of common sense, but little of that (or consideration in lots of things) now it seems.
Eg. I didn't dream of flying in Karijini recently, but I heard a drone at the main campground one afternoon, when staying there for a night.

I flew at Rudall, because there was no one up at the times in the gorge (DQB), but I was aware of others flying at camp (though it was brief and it didn't bother me at all).

I'd have no qualms flying in the Simpson from a remote camp, but wouldn't fly in busy places in the Flinders, etc etc.
FollowupID: 894820

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 22:06

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 22:06
Hi Les

I came across my first “No Drones” sign a couple of years ago up at the lookouts at El Questro.

The lookouts seemed to be the only places off limits for them and put it down to the tourist helicopter flights in the area, even though some of the lookouts were well away from where they take off.

Just have to be so careful where and when you fly.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894822

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 at 01:03

Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 at 01:03
My understanding is that In WA at least it is against the law to take off or land in a national park without first obtaining permission...but they (DBCA) dont actually have control of the air space...so you can take off (and land) outside of the park and then fly over it. I could be wrong but that's my understanding. Not saying its a good idea in all circumstances just that some "no drone" warnings may just be bluffs with a workaround.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894823

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 at 06:53

Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 at 06:53
Indeed that is correct Greg.

But of course keeping VLOS (visual line of sight) of the drone by the operator is also a CASA.
So technically if flying by the rules it effectively rules out what most would call any meaningful flight over such places.

If you check local council guidelines around Oz, you’ll find there are MANY, especially in popular places, that also ban drone ops without permits from using their land for operating a drone, meaning same thing you can fly over, but not launch or land from ‘their land’.

Brisbane is extreme for these bans, in fact I am pretty sure there is only one park in all Bris metro councils that allows drones.
Pretty unsafe forcing a lot of flyers into the one place, rather than into numerous allowable places, not to mention having to travel long distances to inconvenience hobbyists.
FollowupID: 894825

Reply By: equinox - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 19:37

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 19:37
Hi Stephen,
I've had my Mavic 2 for almost a year now.
I still haven't had much of a chance to try it out in the desert yet
I took it with me this year when I tried to walk from the Gunbarrel Highway from Mount Nossiter to The Great central Road

I didn't finish so went back home though.
However - one of the things I didn't realise when I first got it was that it was actually a flying computer. There is so much more to it than just taking video and photos. For instance you can create orthnophotos. These are multiple images stiched together to form one single image which is able to have accurate ground measurements taken from it.
At home I tested this on a section of Perth, taking about 450 photos and using cloud software to process them (Drone-deploy). It produced a nice seamless map which you can then import directly into Google earth. Imagine using this technology out in the field looking for waterholes etc..
I'm going out to the Baxter Cliffs and north of Deakin again nxt month, so will give it a good test then
Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 622118

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 20:56

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 20:56
Hi Alan

Once again, thanks for taking the time to share your great images.

They sure are so special and I find my GPS accuracy just unreal. Once it is calibrated, I can take off, fly for quite some time in all direction, it the RTH and within centimetres, it will land back on my launching pad.

I would love to see your images over the Baxter Cliffs, they will look just unreal.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894815

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 at 01:06

Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 at 01:06
I thought the Mavic 2 was only released a few months ago. Do you mean the Pro?

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894824

Follow Up By: equinox - Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 at 09:59

Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 at 09:59
Yes sorry Greg, Mavic Pro (with the new gold tipped props)

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894829

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:56

Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:56
Ok - that would be the Mavic Pro Platinum - I would have got that but didn't even know it existed at the time. It is a flasher version of the Pro that, among others things comes with lower noise props and also fractionally longer battery life. Good choice.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894884

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 12:28

Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 12:28
The Platinum props do fit the std pro, and reduce noise slightly, certainly you can notice it.
FollowupID: 894886

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 20:43

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 20:43
Lovely pics from all. BUT why has it got to degenerate into drones, noise of drones, where you can fly drones.

I would think that the most people on this site that use drones, know the rules and try not to break them.

Thank you all for the images,

I have seen most of the areas from the ground but I really applicate the aerial views.

AnswerID: 622119

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 21:02

Monday, Nov 12, 2018 at 21:02
Hi Eagle

You are so true that I would think that most people here on the site are very responsible drone flyers, but being human nature, it does not matter how responsible you are, there will always by those that will hate them for the fact of being opposite to what others think is OK.

Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894816

Reply By: Ron N - Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 at 00:19

Tuesday, Nov 13, 2018 at 00:19
The 10% of ignorant, loud and aggressive 4WD owners are the reason why 50% of the population detest 4WD owners.

I'm guessing the same applies in the case of drone owners.
You can polarise people very quickly by producing a drone - and the impression of "being spied on", is almost certainly the major cause of drone hatred.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 622123

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 08:34

Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 08:34
Great pics as always Stephen. Really enjoy your posts.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 622151

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 09:01

Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 09:01
Hi Macca

Thanks for that.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894875

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 09:02

Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 09:02
There was an interesting & timely article on the news yesterday.
Apparently DJI drones are very susceptible to having their photos hacked.
AnswerID: 622153

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:02

Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:02
Very susceptible?
What rubbish shaker.
Stop trying to make an issue out of nothing.

Typical.

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894879

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:19

Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:19
Did you read the article??
I wasn’t trying to make an issue, I was just offering owners the opportunity to double check.
For your information very susceptible & at high risk mean very much the same thing. If you can, I have attached a link to the article for you to read.

DJI AT HIGH RISK OF SPYING & HACKING

FollowupID: 894880

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:26

Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:26
Go back to English class Shaker

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894881

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:29

Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:29
Did you even bother to read the article, if you can’t make a comment actually relevant to my post, why don’t you just mind your own business instead of just being mindlessly aggressive?
FollowupID: 894882

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:35

Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:35
OK Paul, whatever

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894883

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 14:40

Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 14:40
Hi Shaker,

I have had my photos from here on EO used in other places on the internet without asking me, so unfortunately we are all at the mercy of the Dark Web.

Hi also Alan,

Look at my reply below to another reply from Shaker, you may find it very interesting about the DJI Company.

I purchased my drone from one of our work suppliers (CR Kennedy), and who are the Australian Distributors of the DJI range. I was told some very interesting details that most people would never be aware of.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894889

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 15:41

Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 15:41
Hi Stephen,

Yes I am aware of all that, thanks, and read the article that Paul (Shaker) put up yesterday when it first came out.

Anyone reading the article would realise very quickly that it is a very minor risk to DJI users, and it is highly, highly unlikely that you and I (and people like us) would be affected.

"Very susceptible" - hardly.

cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894890

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 20:47

Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 20:47
I was only quoting the article to advise those that didn’t see it, obviously in future I won’t bother.
FollowupID: 894893

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:57

Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:57
Stephen, my reply regarding the possibility of hacking the DJI was for your benefit, I think it is well worth following up, obviously it is up to you but I believe in the saying, forewarned is forearmed.
I am also not anti-drone As I have had drones in the past, although currently I am droneless.
AnswerID: 622157

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 14:33

Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 14:33
Hi Shaker

I was not aware of that, and cheers.

I think the only way DJI would get your photos and still images would be when you upload and update your flight records.

You may or not know, but they are basically a mini flying computer, logging the distance of each flight, the total distance and time your drone has flown, where in the world you have taken off from, your maximum speed for your flight, maximum altitude that you achieved during your flight, and goodness knows what else. When they do this around the world for the thousands of drone flyers, they would have an extremely accurate record of many more things that the general public would be aware of and a perfect tool for the Chinese Government to spy without your knowledge.

Not sure if you also knew it, but they at one time supplied very different type drones to the US Military Forces. The US Military force told DJI what features that they wanted, and DJI met their demands. The only problem with that was going to be very obvious........all secret information was then passed on the Chinese Governmant (DJI is a Chinese Company). The yanks have ditched DJI for security reasons and from what I have been told, make their own drones for Military purposes in the USA.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894888

Reply By: Genny - Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 14:54

Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 14:54
I reckon drones can certainly be fun, but only a feral one comes into 12 gauge range, and should be dealt with accordingly.
AnswerID: 622163

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 20:28

Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 20:28
You should be aware, before you produce the 12 ga., and start practising your clay pigeon target shooting on "offending" drones, that destroying other peoples property is against the law, and the law takes a very dim view of such actions.

Even in the Land of the Brave and Free (and the well-armed), the courts have generally ruled that the same laws apply - you do not have any "entitlement" to shoot down drones, purely because you believe that they are "trespassing" over your property.

People can look over your fence, or get a view of the "private spaces" in your property, from nearby high rise buildings - so there's no law that says a drone can't fly over your property.

If a drone appears at your bedroom window and hovers there, you definitely have a case to call in the police for offensive behaviour and invasion of privacy.
However, that still doesn't give you the right to blow the offending drone away. You may be able to capture the drone and hold it for evidence for the police - but you can't damage it.

How much of your property do you actually own? (Australia)

Cheers, Ron.

FollowupID: 894892

Sponsored Links