Perth-Albany 4WD track open in time for summer holidays

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 15, 2018 at 17:44
ThreadID: 137471 Views:9660 Replies:10 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
"A four-wheel-drive route linking more than 900km of tracks from Perth to Albany has been unveiled in time for summer adventurers."

On-line newspaper link

Unfortunately the link to the WA 4WD Association website provided in the news report is not working very well at the moment - so difficult to get specific details on the actual route....unless someone here can enlighten us.

The article also states that this "....is the first stage of a 4500km project which will eventually see Perth, Albany, Kalgoorlie and the Mid West linked up by a four-wheel-drive route.

It is hoped 4WD club members will be able to use the full circle route by Easter, before being opened to the public at next year’s Perth 4WD and adventure show"

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Nov 16, 2018 at 01:18

Friday, Nov 16, 2018 at 01:18
I have the route.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622167

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Nov 16, 2018 at 06:12

Friday, Nov 16, 2018 at 06:12
Hi Michelle

As you know Im currently in WA heading toward Albany so this trek would be good to do

Is it one of the traveller treks?
FollowupID: 894900

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Nov 16, 2018 at 10:52

Friday, Nov 16, 2018 at 10:52
Not yet, we discussed it about a year ago and I only got a bare bones outline. He needs to finalise it with us.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894904

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Nov 16, 2018 at 11:08

Friday, Nov 16, 2018 at 11:08
KiwiAngler - if you persist with the download link provided in the news report you will get the track and waypoint files (gpx, kml and Ozi). I just managed to get them then - will try and share.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894905

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Nov 16, 2018 at 13:31

Friday, Nov 16, 2018 at 13:31
The Explorer

Ive downloaded the zip file from 4wd and have seen the route in both Earth and Hema ( cant find the file in OziExplorer) but I would like to see it in ExploreOz traveller as that is my preferred programme these days
FollowupID: 894909

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Nov 16, 2018 at 13:57

Friday, Nov 16, 2018 at 13:57
No worries - Sorry - I missed the key word "traveller". There are other "treks" you can download from the exploroz site in gpx etc format for use in other programs (as you obviously know) so thought that was what you were chasing.

While I suspect I know the reason that EO traveler doesn't have the capacity to import gpx etc files I think it would be a bonus if it did...for the users anyway :) I can't get by without this function and a few others.

Happy travels.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894910

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Nov 28, 2018 at 15:27

Wednesday, Nov 28, 2018 at 15:27
KiwiAngler, you'll be pleased to hear we are working on it as we speak. The GPX importer is now installed (beta) and I am testing with the MundAl files but its currently failing due to a data error of some sort in the data. But it won't take long and we'll have it sorted.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895144

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Nov 16, 2018 at 11:14

Friday, Nov 16, 2018 at 11:14
Hope this works - complete set of track files and waypoints for "The Track" from Mundaring to Albany - google earth and gpx format

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 622184

Follow Up By: John Baas - Saturday, Nov 17, 2018 at 00:37

Saturday, Nov 17, 2018 at 00:37
Hi Greg.

Works well for me. Downloaded them as .gpx; then resaved via Ozi as .plt and .wpt files.

All good.

Thanks.

JB.
FollowupID: 894926

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Nov 16, 2018 at 12:38

Friday, Nov 16, 2018 at 12:38
We can easily make this (or any other route) a Trek Note in our system to share on both the website and in the app but there are some publishing requirements. If anyone wants to make it happen, please contact me to obtain the requirements and I'll give you the outline of data to collect. There's a very basic list of equipment and tasks you need and we can help you out with that. Contact me via email (use site email link found on Contact Us page).
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 622187

Reply By: John Baas - Saturday, Nov 17, 2018 at 00:49

Saturday, Nov 17, 2018 at 00:49
I've just 'e-followed' this route on Ozi on the HEMA 1:150K map; thanks to 'The Explorer' for the data.

On eye-balling alone, it looks like it will be very 'forest-scenic' but not at all challenging - mostly following gravel roads of varying local standards - from 90kph to maybe 30-40kph...

Be interested in driver reports idc.

Cheers.

AnswerID: 622196

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Nov 17, 2018 at 11:16

Saturday, Nov 17, 2018 at 11:16
Hello John -

Yes I think it is more of a tourist drive (it does say "accessible for most four-wheel and all-wheel drives, including caravans and camper trailers" - key word caravan!!).

Still would be interesting drive and if you want a challenge take a mini :)

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 894935

Follow Up By: John Baas - Saturday, Nov 17, 2018 at 12:15

Saturday, Nov 17, 2018 at 12:15
Funny you suggest a Mini. I had actually been thinking of trying our Fairmont on it...

Cheers.
FollowupID: 894941

Reply By: Ron N - Saturday, Nov 17, 2018 at 12:14

Saturday, Nov 17, 2018 at 12:14
Some of the most scenic drives are on some of W.A.'s lesser-used country gravel roads - particularly at the right time of year.

I drove from Balkuling to Avon Industrial Estate, East of Grass Valley, in early October, taking back road shortcuts through Mt Hardey, Malebelling and Quellington, to Grass Valley South Rd, and then Leeming Rd to the AIE.

It was a really scenic drive at that time of year, with everything green and lush, rolling hills, and a great view of Mt Bakewell from Marwick Rd. No 4WD is needed, you can do it in the family Camry.

I notice that concerns are now being raised as regards Dieback control on this new 4WD route from Perth to Albany.
If some 4WD'ers decide to take detours into forest areas looking for mudholes to ensure they get the true 4WD experience, I can see where the Dieback problem could raise its head.

Working in the Southern W.A. forests as a contractor with machinery today, involves some pretty intensive quarantine checks, and major levels of cleaning between machinery movements.

The same criteria is also becoming applied more and more to farms, as farms become more and more alert to quarantine issues with unwanted weeds being carried by vehicles.

Even in the 1960's, in the SE wheatbelt, it was standard practice on numerous farms, as a earthmoving contractor - where noxious weeds such as doublegee (emex australis) were a problem - that all vehicles entering paddocks had to stop at the paddock exit gate, and one had to check every single tyre thoroughly for doublegees, remove them from the tyres, and place them in a container located on the gatepost.

This was a major effort, particularly with multi-wheeled trucks, but it was the only way to prevent serious spread of the doublegee curse.

W.A.'s new Southern 4WD track poses Dieback spread threat

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 622198

Reply By: Cruznoz - Wednesday, Nov 21, 2018 at 00:25

Wednesday, Nov 21, 2018 at 00:25
Iv'e actually been working on such a trek as this for the last 5 years. So far I have traveled the section from Albany to just south of Wellington National Park. It follows a different route though.
AnswerID: 622222

Reply By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 at 14:58

Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 at 14:58
There are a couple of short videos on youtube of this track for those interested. Search for MundAl track.
AnswerID: 622240

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Nov 28, 2018 at 15:15

Wednesday, Nov 28, 2018 at 15:15
I've just been checking my notes and on 9th January this year we were provided with the track details but denied permission to publish it until WA 4WD association had done more work in verification.

David has just added a new GPX file importer (for places only, not routes) and I am testing using the current released list of GPX files for the MundAl track but there is an error in the data and the importer is rejecting them so far. I will keep working on it with David.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 622318

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Nov 30, 2018 at 13:51

Friday, Nov 30, 2018 at 13:51
It's happening, I've got the places into ExplorOz Traveller and building the nav plan now. Will be ready for next week!
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895199

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Friday, Nov 30, 2018 at 14:28

Friday, Nov 30, 2018 at 14:28
Excellent stuff Michelle!

You hard work makes it easier for us.

Thanks

Anthony
FollowupID: 895200

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Nov 30, 2018 at 14:36

Friday, Nov 30, 2018 at 14:36
Anthony, no worries but what I'm really pleased about is that the auto-router is working for the building of the track file between the waypoints so the route is following the path of the track (not straight line) as all the roads for this route are in our maps so the really good thing is I don't need to use all 229 of the waypoints and can reduce this by less than half (as it would be very annoying and is not required) and this means I am getting moving time calculations and accurate distance between each point (this is something you cannot do if you import the gpx files into OziExplorer as it draws straight lines between point but we can draw on the track between points - even when its on bike trails). It is definately taking time, but worth it I hope to get this out for you all asap. I am missing my training today to get this done. Please send chocolate LOL
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895201

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Dec 05, 2018 at 16:42

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2018 at 16:42
We have successfully just published the first stage of the MundAl track as an ExplorOz Trek Note which you can now find on both the website and in the app (ExplorOz Traveller). App users: update your Treks database from within the Data Manager. Free.

We have reviewed the number of waypoints in the MundAl trek as provided by WA 4WD Association and decided that the most convenient way to publish and provide this information is to build a series of connecting Trek Notes, so this first one has just been published today and begins at Mundaring and ends at Dwellingup. The remainder of the adjoining treks will now be rather quick for us to finalise and I am commencing the section Dwellingup to Collie right now. We have not needed to use all the waypoints provided as our auto-routing system doesn't need them to follow the path of the road and both the app and website contain driving notes without the use of the waypoints. When used within the app you will get voice guided point to point driving directions when offline (this is optional and controlled in settings).

BTW - as part of this project, we had to install a GPX importer tool. This now enables anyone to add GPX files for waypoints (not routes) into the website which will be stored in your account as Private Places. If you then wish to sync these to your ExplorOz Traveller app, simply open the app, go to Data Manager and press Update to retrieve the latest version of the Places data (this combines your Private Place data and Public Place data in the one download). You can then use your Private Places to build Private Treks if you like. This is how we built the MundAl trek however the process to make a Private Trek to a Public Trek is a system administrator function however this is now a reality and can be done - this means if you feel you have a Private Trek that would be of benefit in the system for others to use as a Public trek then just contact us and let us know so we can review the data and make the necessary steps to make it an ExplorOz Trek.

Ta Da!! (feeling a bit like we've just successfully waved a magic wand). Many thanks to David for figuring all this complicated stuff out. I am thrilled we now have the capacity to really integrate all this stuff together and make things easy for ya' all ;) Cheers!!
Here's the Trek MundAl - Mundaring to Dwellingup
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 622460

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi_In_Aussie(Wagga) - Wednesday, Dec 05, 2018 at 18:19

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2018 at 18:19
Hi michelle

Just updated treks and had a look at it - first off thanks - big effort,

When I view the trek initially it looks like there are a few "loop sections" - which I am pretty sure shouldn't be there - having seen the original 4wd waypoint list.

Then when I zoom in it looks like there are, at times, two tracks - one that follows the actual road and then another one over the top which is more of a point to point making it look like a "loop"
FollowupID: 895366

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Dec 05, 2018 at 18:28

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2018 at 18:28
Nope your computer must be showing something different to mine - don't you see it like this:?

then zoom in and its only 1 route line from Mundaring to Dwellingup, no loops?

If you see something different, send me a screen shot.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895367

Follow Up By: Member - Kiwi_In_Aussie(Wagga) - Wednesday, Dec 05, 2018 at 19:05

Wednesday, Dec 05, 2018 at 19:05
Email sent ??
FollowupID: 895368

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Dec 06, 2018 at 19:43

Thursday, Dec 06, 2018 at 19:43
Can anyone tell me why there is a series of 7 waypoints in the file Lake Muir to Albany that are coloured in red - (At11 to At16). I am referring to the notes page that I've printed off with the driving notes because interestingly enough these same waypoints were rejected in our GPX file importer so I'm wondering if it I am meant to build the track from At10 to At17. Anyone familiar with this trek please let me know if you can answer this.

Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 622479

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Dec 06, 2018 at 22:18

Thursday, Dec 06, 2018 at 22:18
Don't worry I've managed (with great frustration and difficulty) to get this section routed - including the waypoints that were highlighted in red - I"m still not sure WHY they are noted in red however but have managed to get the route built through this section. I can only imagine it is a warning of some sort - it looks to be sketchy mapping data of the tracks here, and a few river crossings so I suspect the area changes due to climate so drivers may need to plot their own path somewhat based on conditions. I'm sure the first few people to drive it will let us know and give feedback.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895393

Follow Up By: Hayden W - Monday, Dec 10, 2018 at 14:55

Monday, Dec 10, 2018 at 14:55
Was there a reason found for the red?

That area is largely locked up for dieback control. For example, much of Tin Hut Road is closed. National Parks is particularly crazy with the gates in that area and I suspect once they have wind of this the route will need to be changed. As it is, that track route already has a lot of big detours around gates.

It's a spectacular area, well worth the look. Although much of it is gated there's still a maze of tracks to access. If you're into challenging driving it doesn't really provide that, though there are some river crossings.

I'd like to see a car wash installed in Walpole. It would go a long way to stopping the spread, though not for this route. As it is, you'd have to drive around 150kms from that area to find a public access car wash.

I'd like to do that stretch of the route (Lake Muir to Denmark) in the coming month or thereabouts. I'll report back when I do.
FollowupID: 895524

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Dec 10, 2018 at 15:05

Monday, Dec 10, 2018 at 15:05
Thanks Hayden, yes I'm with you on all counts of that. The dieback is an important issue for sure. The Tin Hut Rd section etc does have a more routable section than what is given in the notes but we did ensure we mapped it exactly the way they have instructed - on our maps people can easily see/create alternative routes around any access issues though. I think we're also keen to get out there early 2019 but if you get there first please use the system to add photos, update comments etc.
Michelle Martin

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895525

Sponsored Links