Adelaide to Broome Via HWY A1

We have completed Oodnadatta / Tanami / Kimberly / Kakadu / Litchfield / Binns Track tour, fell in love with Broome so we are moving there early Jan 2019.
Instead of going up through the centre we thought we may go via the Nullarbor HWY A1 this time, it's around the same distance.
Any suggestions/recommendations on places to visit and overnight stays. We prefer free camping as we are self sufficient with our Tvan and 100 series 1hdt fte. 8 days has been allocated for the trip.
We also have Hema /camps 9 /Wiki camps.
Many thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Nov 19, 2018 at 21:48

Monday, Nov 19, 2018 at 21:48
Check out Pildappa Rock, north of Eyre H'way, and Murrawijinie Caves, north of Nullarbor Roadhouse. Also Baxter Cliffs, south of Caiguna. We camped at all three on our WA trip in June. Might be a bit windy at the Cliffs, we camped some k's back in the scrub.

Had some other great Camps too, but if I suggested them you'd be travelling for more than 8 days.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622215

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Nov 19, 2018 at 23:44

Monday, Nov 19, 2018 at 23:44
Baxter Cliffs were great Bob, in fact we were quite blown away by them.
We rather foolishly camped only 50m from the cliffs and that Troopy rocked all night!
Okay, okay, no smart comments thank you guys. lol
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 894984

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Tuesday, Nov 20, 2018 at 11:23

Tuesday, Nov 20, 2018 at 11:23
Many thanks,
We always have a plan but never ridget on them. 8 days could turn into more :)
We were also thinking of hooking a right off the A1 and head through via Kalgoorlie on route 49.
Thanks for the suggestions
FollowupID: 894991

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Nov 19, 2018 at 23:55

Monday, Nov 19, 2018 at 23:55
Crusier, early January? You will be just in time for the cyclone. lol

But yes, I like Broome too, but only to visit in the cooler months.

Watch your step, or rather front wheel if you visit caves on the Nullarbor as we encountered several large wombat holes right on the edge of the wheel tracks.

I think you will enjoy the trip up the WA coast too. If you can extend the "8 days" there is much to see in the Pilbara, but then you will be able to pop down from Broome later eh?
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 622217

Follow Up By: Crusier 91 - Tuesday, Nov 20, 2018 at 11:17

Tuesday, Nov 20, 2018 at 11:17
Thanks Allan,
Yep, early Jan. We sold up prior to the trip in May so having a permanent residents again is welcomed.
As far as cyclone season................its all part of the adventure as well as more travelling through out WA via land and water. :)
Many thanks
FollowupID: 894990

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Nov 20, 2018 at 18:49

Tuesday, Nov 20, 2018 at 18:49
You can go into the Places on this site and click Map to look at the area you are going. There's over 90,000 POIs in our database and there are interactive symbols on the map with info about each one. This data is also included in our app ExplorOz Traveller which you might like to put on your phone/iPad or laptop/tablet as you then you will have access to the info when you are offline too, as well as our maps, EOTopo. The free camps are shown with a green tent symbol and most will have been loaded by ExplorOz enthusiasts so should have comments, photos other useful bits of info about the place. You can also add your own photos, comments etc. Not sure where you are starting from for a Broome trip via the Nullarbor in 8 days, but there are great spots you can get to below the cliffs along the beach line when you get closer to the WA border (we also have trek notes for that area if you need more info). Otherwise there are lots of good tracks north of the main highway but you'd possibly need more time if you were wanting to explore. If just looking for free camps along the highway, take note of the many PBays and you'll find tracks leading out the back, many can reveal great overnight camps off the road. Most of the really good ones will be listed as Places on our maps with the green tent symbols as already mentioned so that's a good place to start.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 622220

Reply By: Rob J8 - Tuesday, Nov 27, 2018 at 21:24

Tuesday, Nov 27, 2018 at 21:24
Hello Cruiser, If I was heading to Broome from Norseman in January I would head up to Coolgardie and then West until I hit the coast ie Perth then follow the coast all the way up to Broome.
Closer to the coast and a bit cooler. If we're having a cool spell then it won't matter.
AnswerID: 622303

Sponsored Links