Eyre Peninsula Camping Recommendations

Submitted: Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 at 12:11
ThreadID: 137481 Views:3956 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
I will be heading over to the Eyre Peninsula for about a week just after new years.
I'm looking for recommendations for camping spots between Streaky Bay (or just north of Streaky Bay) and Elliston- we have previously spent time at Coffin Bay.
We will most likely stay put in the one spot and have a look around from there, we will be in a soft floor camper and be fully self sufficient.
Any comments/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. The quieter the better is that's possible.
Thanks in advance, Lloyd
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crusier 91 - Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 at 12:46

Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 at 12:46
Hi Lloyd,
Consider downloading wiki camps app ($9) and/or exploroz app ($59)
They both have up to date ratings of camp spots all over OZ by previous campers, it's really worth it.
I also have the Camps 9 book ($60) and its on my Hema GPS but found wiki camps to out preform Camps 9 by a mile for free camping. I've have now given Camps 9 away.
Cheers,
Steve
AnswerID: 622237

Follow Up By: Lloyd W1 - Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 at 13:24

Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 at 13:24
Thank Steve,

I do have wiki camps on my phone and have had a bit of a look but when there aren't any comments of photos (as is the case sometimes) it's hard to gauge what it's like so just though if others had first hand experience of some spots it would be helpful.
FollowupID: 895021

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Nov 23, 2018 at 21:53

Friday, Nov 23, 2018 at 21:53
Lloyd, the places in WikiCamps that do not have comments or photos probably will not get a mention here. Where there are no comments you will possibly find that the campsites were not worth stopping at and therefore no one has stopped there and commented later.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 895042

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 at 14:06

Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 at 14:06
Thanks Steve for recommending our app to Lloyd. If you go looking for it in the stores, its called ExplorOz Traveller, but here's the info page with the links etc. ExplorOz Traveller app info page
However, you can also view our EOTopo online map here to do your trip planning and its all free, which includes the camps layer once you zoom right in. Free EOTopo online map whole of Australia 18K

I've just taken a very brief look at the area that interests you, and I can see lots of camping sites listed that might be suitable. I like the look of Walkers Rocks Campground. Is that suitable for you?

There's not been much feedback shared by other campers on sites around this area which usually indicates the sites are not busy. Take note that we show facility icons so you can see what's provided at each site. I'll do some further research for you too and update if I can find out more. The system is live, so I'm always working on it and like the challenge of helping people out with specific needs.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622238

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 at 14:44

Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 at 14:44
Hi Lloyd

Elliston is a great place and from there you can branch out to seen many great attractions.

The only trouble might be the school holidays, as I know a lot of farmers will head to the coast after harvest.

Where ever you visit, the West Coast is always a great place to visit.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 622239

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 at 15:06

Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 at 15:06
Hey I've just been looking around and spotted the Coodlie Park Farm Retreat. The camping options there look VERY good and a great base for exploring the interesting sites nearby.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 622241

Follow Up By: Peterbilt - Wednesday, Nov 28, 2018 at 05:10

Wednesday, Nov 28, 2018 at 05:10
I stayed at Coodlie Park last year. Very pleasant camping area & facilities, owner is friendly and helpful. Good value
FollowupID: 895133

Reply By: braincell - Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 at 16:10

Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 at 16:10
sheringa south of elliston is good is your self sufficient, waterloo bay caravan park is also pretty good at elliston if you want some facilities . Futher north, speeds point or tractor beach area between sceale bay and streaky bay .
AnswerID: 622242

Reply By: 9900Eagle - Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 at 16:34

Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 at 16:34
Mate, Behind the pub at Poochera is not bad for a night and Cowell is not a bad spot either.

When we were at Streaky bay an Elephant seal had decided he owned the main street and where ever he wanted to park that was his.

Port Lincoln is differently not a poor mans town, as it has some very flash houses and I don't remember seeing one working boat with any signs of rust and thats from Trawlers, Tuna boats, King fish boats and the boats used to ferry bait out to the bigger feeders in the pens.

There is a original 1950's tuna boat there that is well worth a visit and a guided tour over. Even it is in pristine condition.

Have a good trip.
AnswerID: 622245

Reply By: Rob A2 - Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 at 17:13

Thursday, Nov 22, 2018 at 17:13
As Stephen has said it's school holidays and the EP will be packed out. The locals will be moving into their sites once the grain crops are in. So be prepared to hunt around a bit. Woolshed Bay just around from Coffin Bay may and I repeat may have something but don't count on it. Equally think about some of the small coastal towns East of Port Lincoln as well. After that Venus Bay is excellent but always fully booked by now.
Don't discount Cummins or Tumby Bay etc either as that is where you may get lucky

All the best EP is our pick of spots to kick back in SA

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622247

Reply By: Joe M8 - Sunday, Nov 25, 2018 at 09:36

Sunday, Nov 25, 2018 at 09:36
Hi Lloyd,
Here is a list of My fovourite (fishing,camp )spots. Point Greenly,farm beach,
Point Drummond,halls bay,Sheringa beach,Locks well Talia caves, Venus Bay.
EnjoyMy home ground. Cheers Cherry.
AnswerID: 622270

Follow Up By: Lloyd W1 - Sunday, Nov 25, 2018 at 19:18

Sunday, Nov 25, 2018 at 19:18
Thanks for the list Cherry, will definitely have a look at all of them.

Is there any truth to the comments about the farmers heading for the coast after harvest or do you think we should be able to find somewhere no problems in the first week and a bit after new year?

Cheers, Lloyd
FollowupID: 895076

Reply By: Joe M8 - Sunday, Nov 25, 2018 at 20:59

Sunday, Nov 25, 2018 at 20:59
Farm beach used to be popular for beach camping after harvest but i think council
Put an end to that. Now has a small van park off beach. Not sure about the others
Convention beach ok for salmon fishing but not for camps.
Cheers Cherry.
AnswerID: 622279

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Nov 29, 2018 at 13:00

Thursday, Nov 29, 2018 at 13:00
Farm Beach Camping
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 895164

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Nov 27, 2018 at 22:47

Tuesday, Nov 27, 2018 at 22:47
While times may have changed since we toured the Eyre in January 2005. At Ceduna tourist information centre, the lady "I hope you have booked accommodation". I said we have a caravan "The caravan parks will be packed if you haven't booked.' We bush camped most of the time anyway.

The only caravan park we stopped at was at Elliston - the one near the jetty. Lovely there and hardly anyone in the park. The proprietor said "This time of year is always quiet - we get busy in salmon season." We went back to the same park again before leaving for home. A nice spot.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 622304

Follow Up By: Lloyd W1 - Wednesday, Nov 28, 2018 at 21:06

Wednesday, Nov 28, 2018 at 21:06
Thanks Motherhen, good info that I'll take on board.
FollowupID: 895155

Sponsored Links