Trans Australian Railway Access Track/road

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 16:59
ThreadID: 137552 Views:9985 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Afternoon one and all, can somebody tell me how far I can LEGALLY travel down the Trans line track west to east? And from those who have done the entire route did you encounter any issues? I've previously traveled as far as the Cable Haul Rd and would now like to travel it as far as possible.

Thanks
Dunc
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mechpete - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 17:24

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 17:24
legally you can only travel from Glendambo
to the top of Googs trk
cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 622603

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 18:40

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 18:40
from Haigh to the western end
FollowupID: 895582

Follow Up By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 19:09

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 19:09
Hi Pete I was referring from the west travelling east I'm aware of the SA restrictions.

I just want to travel as far east before having to drop down onto the Eyre Hwy.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895583

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 19:55

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 19:55
Hema Maps have a note on their maps that the track is "officially closed" between Haig WA & Lyons SA, and no travel permits will be issued.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 895588

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 19:58

Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 at 19:58
Peter is saying that you can travel east as far as Haig. That is it.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 895589

Reply By: Duncan2H - Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 09:33

Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 09:33
Is it true that the other side of the railway line is the Telstra Track and thats 100% navigable the whole length.. or is this a myth?
AnswerID: 622614

Follow Up By: Duncan2H - Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 10:22

Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 10:22
Relevant thread: https://www.exploroz.com/forum/136246/trans-access-track--telstras-access-track
FollowupID: 895604

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 11:09

Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 11:09
The truth is, technically, the vast majority of the Trans Line Railway Reserve (particularly once East of Bulong) is only 400M wide.
This is the only land the ARTC can technically and legally, control access to.

Outside that Railway Reserve is unallocated Crown Land, Pastoral Leases, and Mining Leases.

You can prove this, by looking up the Railway Reserve land titles on W.A.'s Landgate Mapviewer Plus.

The Railway Reserve land titles are broken up into about 6 adjoining titles between Bulong and the W.A.-S.A. border.
The ARTC pays rates to the Shire of Kalgoorlie-Boulder on these titles, the same as any other land title owner.

But the Trans Access Road (as Landgate refer to it) is quite often, well outside the Railway Reserve.
The TAR meanders back and forth, onto the Railway Reserve - and more often than not, out onto adjoining Crown Land, or Pastoral or Mining Leases.

This means, that technically and legally, ARTC is on thin ice, trying to stop people from using the TAR.

The bottom line is, ARTC are under pressure from their lawyers to stop the public from accessing the TAR, because of liability issues - that have never been tested in any court action, that I know of.

But the greatest pressure on ARTC to stop access to the TAR, is from WAPOL, who are intent on stopping drug runners from running their illegal products into the State - and those drug runners will use the TAR to try to avoid regular WAPOL interception on the Eyre Hwy.

But the drug runners often don't realise, they still face WAPOL interception on the TAR - because the WAPOL aren't completely stupid, and they watch for suspicious users of the TAR, quite intensely. Modern surveillance is all-seeing.

Technically, if you are pulled up and told you are on a private road that you are prohibited to use, the ARTC has to prove that you are actually on their Railway Reserve property.
If you are more than 200M from the centreline of the rail line, East of Bulong, you are technically, and legally, not on Railway Reserve property.

Cheers, Ron.

FollowupID: 895608

Reply By: Rob A2 - Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 11:10

Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 11:10
I have just sent an email to the ARTC who own the right of way asking them to clarify the matter once and for all. It will be interesting to see if I get a reply

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622615

Follow Up By: Duncan2H - Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 11:23

Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 11:23
But will it actually clarify it once and for all?
FollowupID: 895611

Follow Up By: Ron N - Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 13:23

Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 13:23
If they come back at all, it will be an ARTC lawyer-based response, advising you of the dreadful legal consequences of failing to obey their prohibition signs.

There is nothing clear about the Trans Access Road rulings.
ARTC simply demand that the general public keep off it - because the general public may interfere with rail operations - may try to cross the line at unauthorised crossing points, and become stuck - may become injured or even be killed on the road - or may try to stop trains for rescue purposes, leading to unnecessary work for ARTC. One can understand their concerns.

However, as with all large operations they cater for the LCD of the general public, who would be brainless enough to indulge in all of the above.

Stepdaughters partner is a train controller, and you would not believe the daily public idiocy he shows us, caught on rail line CCTV, and locomotive and railcar cameras.

The number of near-misses from sure and sudden death, from individuals trying to beat speeding trains at crossings (and not on crossings), is incredible - both on foot, and in vehicles.

The interstate freight trains can do 115kmh, and regularly travel at that speed on the Trans Line.
You give 2500 or 3000 tonnes travelling at 115kmh, the great respect they deserve.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 895618

Follow Up By: Leigh H - Monday, Dec 17, 2018 at 22:56

Monday, Dec 17, 2018 at 22:56
Hi Rob, its probably best that we do not prod the tiger with a stick. The more the issue is challenged the more prohibitive measures they are likely to seek to introduce. Sometimes its best not to have absolute clarity but to take your chances instead.....like many have done over the last decade or so and hopefully will do in the future. In my view the issue is best left dormant and this site remain silent. Cheers
FollowupID: 895723

Reply By: Ron N - Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 19:06

Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 19:06
Here's an earlier discussion thread about the Trans Access Road, from 2014 ...

Trans Access Rd questions

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 622621

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 20:50

Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 20:50
Thanks everybody who replied; much appreciated.

cheers

Dunc
Dunc

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 622623

Reply By: andrew t - Friday, Dec 14, 2018 at 11:22

Friday, Dec 14, 2018 at 11:22
Just a heada up as well. Under the rail safety act all persons who are within the rail corridor must also be in possession of Rail industry worker card or a current track safety card issued by a rail operator and also be zero drug and alcohol levels and wearing Appropriate Hi Vis clothing fines will apply to those who are breaking the law..... If they want to be nasty about it i am sure they can be....so if you travel the road as long as it is outsude the designated rail corridor you will not have to worry about what i have said but if the road is within the corridor then you may have a problem.
AnswerID: 622635

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 09:07

Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 at 09:07
The SA Lands database shows the road West of Googs as the Tarcoola Road in some locations and the Trans Access Road in others.

The SA definition of a road is

Road Function

Roads have a number of functions that can be conveniently grouped into:
- Movement function (traffic)
- Access function (abutting land use)

The general notion is that arterial roads primarily provide for the movement function and local roads primarily provide for the access function.

All roads, however (with the possible exceptions of a freeway and urban cul-de-sac), provide for a mixture of movement and access functions.

I am not sure if that woudl stand up in court, but it seems there is no one who really knows the legal situation. Best to leave it that way iMHO.
AnswerID: 622691

Sponsored Links