Patrol vs f-truck

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 19:59
ThreadID: 137558 Views:3950 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys my rodeos injector pump shat itself and the fuel injection guy reckons it had unleaded put through it instead of diesel and will just be a continuing cost of injectors and the rest. Im getting a new fourby and am stuck on GQ patrol with the turbo 4.2L diesel or a f100 or 150 with a petrol v8. The only problem I have with the f-truck is the weight and that its not live axle on the front. Only problems with the patrol is every one has one and that's lame (but makes parts easier to get) and no v8 :( . my fourby will do mostly beach driving a lot of camping and mudding whenever I get the chance, but I live on the coast so everything is the beach pretty much. My budget is roughly ten grand and I have found both patrols and f-trucks in decent nick in wa for this much. If anyone has had an f-truck let me know how it went on beach and whether the size and weight held you back at all
Back Expand Un-Read 1 Moderator

Reply By: Gbc.. - Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 20:44

Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 20:44
Old f trucks don’t fit in the wheel tracks of every other car and will drive you mental.
AnswerID: 622622

Follow Up By: King_Kyle - Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 23:44

Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 23:44
Cheers bro thought about that and I think probably 80 percent of my offroading will be beach driving anyways. Also I wanna cruise around like king of the road and listen to that v8 sing
FollowupID: 895643

Reply By: IvanTheTerrible - Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 21:06

Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 21:06
I'd fix the Rodeo up unless you need to spend money on a bigger vehicle
AnswerID: 622624

Follow Up By: Member - johnat - Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 21:32

Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 at 21:32
Yeah, cannot see the "continuing cost" - once the injectors, pump and pipes etc are changed, there shouldn't be any further problems (unless you habitually put ULP in there ;) )
FollowupID: 895641

Reply By: Ron N - Friday, Dec 14, 2018 at 11:27

Friday, Dec 14, 2018 at 11:27
Go with the old Patrol. An F-truck will keep you poor.

You have no idea what a total rip-off F-truck parts costs are, they make Mercedes and BMW parts look cheap.

I bought a new 4WD F100 a long time ago, wore it out and totally rebuilt it (no, it wasn't a rebuild, it was nearly a ground-up restoration. I even converted it to 4 wheel disc brakes, using XB Falcon rear discs).

It was a very competent vehicle on rough ground, with the ability to swallow up metre-deep holes with ease.

But it used fuel like it was going out of fashion. The old saying that it couldn't pass a servo without stopping, was true.

It was absolute beast to control on rough, deep corrugations on dirt roads.
The long radius-rod front end design, transferred front axle shocks to the centre of the chassis, and sent the empty Effie sideways in milliseconds at 110kmh - making for some pretty hairy "Speedway-style" driving response.

The later Effies went to a short front-end radius-rod design, because of this major front-end design fault, in the earlier Effies.

All the bolt holes in the Effies chassis are punched bigger than the bolts that go in them. As a result, loose bolts were a constant problem.
The brackets holding the radius-rods came loose, and the Effie started ducking and diving all over the road, like a steering component had come off.

When I restored her, I drilled all the chassis bolt holes to a precise larger size, and fitted larger diameter bolts that were a tight fit in the holes.

The chassis cracked in the curve over the rear axle, due to Ford bean-counters cutting back on metal thickness and frame depth in that area. Had to plate that area to strengthen it.

The first fuel injected F-150's were nothing but a POS, with endless electrical problems and rear diffs that fell apart, often under warranty.

But the part that kills the Effies is the need to carry a vary large jar of anal lube anytime you buy any part that fits any Effie. I paid $600 just for an Effie grille in 1980, and $600 in 1980 was like $1600 today.

The Nissans are a lot better built and they are everywhere, and the parts aren't such a ripoff as American-sourced Ford parts.
Ford parts are always dearer than any other manufacturers parts, and Effie parts at right at the stratospheric level.

Forget about the V8 burble, it sure sounds nice, but its the most expensive sound you'll ever hear.

Cheers, Ron.
AnswerID: 622636

Follow Up By: King_Kyle - Friday, Dec 14, 2018 at 23:45

Friday, Dec 14, 2018 at 23:45
Legend. I'm starting to lean towards the patrol I think
FollowupID: 895665

Reply By: Member - cruza25 - Friday, Dec 14, 2018 at 13:13

Friday, Dec 14, 2018 at 13:13

Should do the trick
AnswerID: 622638

Follow Up By: ian.g - Friday, Dec 14, 2018 at 14:38

Friday, Dec 14, 2018 at 14:38
Looooong way over his $10,000 budget though
FollowupID: 895649

Follow Up By: King_Kyle - Friday, Dec 14, 2018 at 19:42

Friday, Dec 14, 2018 at 19:42
Exactly way past ten grand that's why I can't afford v8 patrol so its either v8 f-truck or no v8
FollowupID: 895654

Follow Up By: Ron N - Friday, Dec 14, 2018 at 21:18

Friday, Dec 14, 2018 at 21:18
Go along to the car auctions, December and early January are the best times to get a bargain.

Take along a mechanically clued up mate, and you should find something to your liking.

You don't get a warranty on a 4WD from a car yard, so you might as well buy at auction.

Don't be frightened by high kms, look at how the vehicle has been treated and serviced, and who owned it.

Graysonline, Pickles and Manheim are good places to start.

Cheers, Ron.
FollowupID: 895658

Reply By: RMD - Saturday, Dec 15, 2018 at 08:25

Saturday, Dec 15, 2018 at 08:25
If the sound of a V8 is what you desire then an audio track of one is far cheaper. Since you have been using a 4 cyl 4wd which easily does beach and mud work, a heavier vehicle needs to have significant increase in ability to overcome it’s weight to be worth it or an advantage to you. A 2 wheel drive F model ford is going to be a liability in mud and on the beach too. How would it be an advantage to you?

Spending the required amount on a repair of what you own may be the best option if $$$’s are tight. ANY VEHICLE you purchase will immediately cost more through hidden costs above the purchase price.

If the vehicle you buy has hidden problems or needs tyres then the $10,000 is now climbing.
Dreaming and practicality should be carefully weighed against each other.
AnswerID: 622648

Follow Up By: ian.g - Saturday, Dec 15, 2018 at 11:58

Saturday, Dec 15, 2018 at 11:58
The last line of the above post should be closely thought about, take heed.
FollowupID: 895672

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2018 at 16:54

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2018 at 16:54
I had the experience of using F100s with the 351 V8 petrol as a work vehicle. We got 6.5 mpg. We were having motors fail at about 40,000 kms. They were comfortable to drive in a straight line. You needed an oval to do a U-turn and were terrible on dirt roads. Worst, most unreliable vehicle, that I have had the misfortune to drive.

I has also driven Rodeo's as a work vehicle. They were okay but I would not buy one. Cramped for a person of my size and the handling is poor.

4.2 TD patrol. I have owned one and had it for years. Underpowered by todays standards but they have a motor that is almost indestructible. Nothing unusual for someone to get over one million kms out of a 4.2 motor. Very good drive line, including gearbox and diffs. Better vehicle than the Rodeo. Both of them are mush better vehicles than the Found On Rubbish Dump.

Go the patrol as long as you can put up with a vehicle that does not accelerate like a sports car. Once you get up to speed it just cruises.

Regards
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 622720

Follow Up By: KevinE - Wednesday, Dec 19, 2018 at 18:55

Wednesday, Dec 19, 2018 at 18:55
Agree totally!

We had a F100 V8 shitbox when I was working out of Jackson. It was heavy on juice & bolts kept coming undone on it in the middle of nowhere.

I had a stub axle come out on the piece of junk when I was returning home to Jackson, after a long day building beam pumps - It made my long day a lot longer.
FollowupID: 895752

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 07:37

Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 at 07:37
What about an old V8 Disco or Rangie?
AnswerID: 622724

Sponsored Links