Remote outback.

Submitted: Saturday, Dec 29, 2018 at 20:04
ThreadID: 137614 Views:4420 Replies:8 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
After completing Balgo to Kiwirrkurra last year we are now looking for ideas for other remote tracks to do.The least popular the better. Not really looking at far north or west

Ian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Saturday, Dec 29, 2018 at 23:17

Saturday, Dec 29, 2018 at 23:17
Without knowing what you've actually done already, it's hard to suggest new routes to do.

We did Cocklebiddy to the Pilbara (ex Well 33 CSR) via Connie Sue, David Carnigie, Gary Highways (with a little GCR and Gunbarrel) mid year and loved it, practically saw no more than maybe 4 or 5 vehicles the whole way, and the tracks were incredibly interesting.

After that we did the very rough and indiscernible track via Desert Queen Baths, through to Hanging Rock and up to Skull Springs Rd, among other great tracks.
AnswerID: 622877

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 11:59

Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 11:59
We did the CSR to Kunawarritji and the Gary /Gunbarrel to Warburton two years ago a tad early in March. We plan on the Eagle and David Carnegie as part of a two week revisit to the area next year
FollowupID: 895940

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 20:25

Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 20:25
Worth the pin stripes & buggered tyre!

And even more impressive when viewed from the base.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 895983

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 21:01

Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 21:01
Bob, is that your exhaust smoke disappearing over the horizon?

Happy New Year Mate.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 895988

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 21:10

Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 21:10
No, Allan. Burnt the toast at breakfast! :-)

Thanks. Best wishes to you both for a safe & healthy 2019, Allan.

Regards,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895990

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, Dec 29, 2018 at 23:35

Saturday, Dec 29, 2018 at 23:35
So where else did you explore while on the Kiwirr-Balgo Road Ivan? Did you pop out to the Stansmore Range and Carnegie's 'Wilson Glen'? What about Lake Mackay? Did you explore around it or take the shortcut track up past Mount Webb?

Remote tracks are what you make of them yourself. Better still, if you crave something less popular, make it yourself. There are a stack of options on this site, all you need to do is research the track files. I can think of enough to keep you busy for a few years, it just depends on the size of your cajones!

You've got 5 months, get to it!

Cheers

Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 622879

Reply By: Phil G - Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 11:12

Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 11:12
Been to the Great Victoria Desert? It's as remote as you can get, need to be well prepared because its very hard to get anyone to retrieve you. I enjoy all of the Anne Beadell Highway and the road up from Nullarbor to Voakes Hill. Go that way most years. Take your time though - its not all about the drive.
AnswerID: 622887

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 11:40

Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 11:40
Hi Ivan

If you want to head to a true, extremely remote area, will not find a better place than Geosurvey Hill and the Geographical Centre of the Simpson Desert.

This is an area that must be treated with the most utmost respect, as if you break down out there, that is where your vehicle will spend the rest of its life.

You will need very good navigation skills, be prepared for lots of punctures as there are no tracks to follow and it is true, cross country desert travel.

All the best for 2019

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 622888

Follow Up By: IvanTheTerrible - Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 11:53

Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 11:53
We have shied away from the Simpson in general because of the amount of traffic. Everyone who we have spoken to have only one complaint and that is the amount of vehicles especially tag-a-long tours.
FollowupID: 895938

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 11:56

Sunday, Dec 30, 2018 at 11:56
This is not your average Simpson Desert trip, and trust me, you will not see one single vehicle out there until you get back onto the normal travelled Simpson tracks.
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895939

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 13:56

Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 13:56
Judging by the number of vids on YouTube, Geosurvey Hill visits aren't all that uncommon any more.
FollowupID: 895961

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 21:37

Monday, Dec 31, 2018 at 21:37
Hey Sigmund

Have you ever ventured out to Geosurvey Hill and the Geo Centre?

Do not be fooled by what you see online, it is no walk in the park, soon sorts out the men from the boys and is pure cross country travel with no tracks to follow what so ever.

All other Simpson tracks, including the Madigan now have set tracks to follow and are very easy compared to a Geo trip
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895992

Reply By: maurice b - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 00:45

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 00:45
Hi SteveL .This short video of Bob Young up in front after one of us had repaired a stake in the sidewall should bring back some memories . certinally not a place for vehicle that is not up to scratch mechanically expecially with the suspension.
The continual twisting of the chassis including the articulation of the suspension in the mogals for days on end would eventually take its toll on an overload vehicle or one towing a camper ,especially a 4 cylinder dual cab with stock suspension. We averaged 20 to 40 kms per day. . After our crossing i know of two other groups that followed our track ,so it could be the start of a new route if this summer didn't blow or cover our tracks. There is no set route or track just follow a bearing from the Colson. Be well prepared and be able to fix things. Video on this link https://vimeo.com/308884431 Credit to LespkRanger for this filming
AnswerID: 622928

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 08:09

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 08:09
Hi Maurice

That is great and the air video from Les shows just what it is like....no easy trip as others think and as you know, soon sorts out the mem from the boys, with no tracks to follow what so ever.

Our slowest day of travel was just 20 kilometres. That day had us going north east of Geosurvey Hill to a degree confluence and that travel was just pure hell and was the worst country that we have ever travelled.

Les was at our place on Sunday and we had a fantastic chat about desert travels and drones

Happy New Year

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 895998

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 20:38

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 20:38
Good to meet up with you and Fiona last Saturday Stephen.
a Couple of hours chat was simply no enough, but had to make tracks for home for animal feeding time :)

I put together a short video of the Hornsdale (Tesla battery) wind farm too, will post up in a new thread.
FollowupID: 896020

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 20:41

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 20:41
Nice video Joe, although that was the easier West to East trip in 2017, wish we had some footage of the other way in 2015, that was almost impossible, at least fuel wise.
FollowupID: 896021

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 21:24

Tuesday, Jan 01, 2019 at 21:24
Hey Les

I now have another place for you to visit.

Fiona and I headed to the Riverland today to see the completed Waikerie Silos

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 896022

Reply By: Siringo - Friday, Jan 04, 2019 at 11:26

Friday, Jan 04, 2019 at 11:26
Wiso track?
AnswerID: 623017

Reply By: Gary S13 - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 10:20

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 10:20
Hi Ian or Mick O or whoever else may know,
We are planning on doing the Canning this year then Balgo to Kiwirrkurra on the way home, would like to go and explore Stansmore range whilst there, did you take any particular track from the Yagga Yagga rd to get to Stansmore and Wilson's Glen or just go via GPS ? I've sort of seen a track/creek bed on google earth heading east of 4 houses several kms below Yagga Yagga?
Cheers. Gary.
AnswerID: 623984

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 22:34

Wednesday, Feb 20, 2019 at 22:34
Hi Gary,

I would head east along the line from Mangkala. That's the line most of the crew used when we went in 2013. Then go around the range and up to the Glen. Be careful - pretty isolated out there. You would probably see the old tracks maybe.

See my blog DCRE2013 for a summary of our 2013 trip - which follows the length of the Balgo to Kiwi Road, except to the east (on quads).

To keep legal you will need more than the standard permit to visit the Glen.
Cheers
Equinox

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897375

Reply By: Gary S13 - Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 at 12:57

Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 at 12:57
Thanks for the reply Alan, very comprehensive report on your trip, well done.
Heading east from Mangkala, I am presuming this is what the 4 houses/buildings below Yagga Yagga is called? From what I can see on Google Earth it does seem the best way in is south of the range and then access from the eastern side. Got more studying to do but got a few months yet before we leave.
Permission I think will be no issue as we may be taking the traditional owner of the range with us, if not we will certainly be catching up with him in Balgo beforehand, 2 years ago we took him to his birthplace, Emily Springs, about 50kms east of the Yagga Yagga rd which was a great experience, we also found a plaque there from the 'Thunderbirds 4x4 club', they got around it seems.
Thanks again and regards, Gary
AnswerID: 624006

Follow Up By: equinox - Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 at 19:45

Thursday, Feb 21, 2019 at 19:45
Hi Gary, its probably best to describe on a map.

Here is map of the area. Arrow shows line you can take to the east.Bright red line is my route in 2013. Don't follow my route through the range, go around the range and cross Warri Creek a bit further east.

Cheers

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 897397

Sponsored Links